Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Any of you have experience with the Leupold MK4 1-3x14mm CQ/T on an AR15 or similar? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions?

Thanks in advance.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have a Mk4 CQ/T on my Bushmaster XM15 M4 type carbine (bottom). I've had it since December '04. I like it pretty well overall. The other rifle is a Bushmaster XM15 Varminter with a VX-III 4.5-14x40mm LR scope (top).
[Linked Image]

The CQ/T, as its name implies, is intended for close quarters use, and it works well for that purpose. In daylight, the unilluminated circle/dot reticle makes it fast on target at any reasonable range for defensive use. In dim light, the illuminated reticle works better, at least for me, than similar set up carbines I've tried with EOTEC's because the dot is somewhat larger. I haven't tried mine with night vision, but the CQ/T does have intensity settings that will work work with it.

With the CQ/T, when shooting from a bench at 100 yards with the right ammo, I can easily shoot 3 shot groups under 1" with the scope set at 3x. Try doing that with an EOTEC! Battery life is also very good.

The CQ/T does have some down sides. The eye relief is very short. It's not a problem with an AR in .223/5.56, since recoil is minimal, but it does limit your mounting positions. Don't expect varmint rifle accuracy either. The combination of the large center dot and the low magnification obscures a lot of your target at distances beyond 150 yards or so. Overall, however, I'd say it's a great scope for a defensive weapon.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Great information, thanks! I sent you a PM...

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
GW, I responded to your email.

I have a few other thoughts about the CQ/T. It can be used much like an EOTEC or an Aimpoint for fast action close range shooting. Once you get used to using both eyes, they are all very fast on target. The EOTEC and the Aimpoint are designed to be mounted in a forward position, which allows the use of backup iron sights on a flat top receiver. The short eye relief on the CQ/T requires it to be mounted about as far to the rear as it can be. If you think you must have back up iron sights, this would be +1 for the EOTEC and Aimpoint. The CQ/T has a nonilluminated reticle, so even if the battery fails, it still works, so +1 for the CQ/T. As the shooting distance gets longer, the 3x magnification of the CQ/T is a definite advantage, so +++1 for the CQ/T.

If you compare the CQ/T to an ACOG (either 3x or 4x) at longer range, they both function about the same, but the ACOGs have a tritium reticle, while the CQ/T uses a battery, so +1 for the ACOG. At closer ranges, however, the 1x setting for the CQ/T is another definite plus, so +++1 for the CQ/T up close. IMO.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Aimpoint COMP has not magnification, one year battery life, and is made to be used in line with a short 3x scope that mounts on the same P-rail.

I like the way Leupold integrated the rails onto the scope tube so you can mount a small laser with it, and keep the handguards and barrel clean.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (22magnut, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,603
Posts18,532,573
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.