-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I own, but have never mounted or used, a Bushnell Elite LRHS 3 - 12x 44mm FFP scope. I purchased this a couple of years ago with the intent of building a rifle with which I can chase game out west. I am finally getting around to it and am having a good friend build me a custom rifle in 6.5 PRC. He is suggesting I sell the LRHS and pick up the Z8i. I understand the Swarvo has an illuminated reticle and is SFP but I am trying to figure out how much better the Swarvo is. While I highly value his opinion, I've just never owned "premium" glass so I am trying to determine if it's worth the cost difference.

I know opinions on this are subjective but I know that most everyone on here has more experience that I in using these scopes.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are you going to use the rifle for? The Bushnell will be better at killing things, the Swaro will be better for looking at them. I had a Z8i 2.3-18x56 and found it to have a very demanding eyebox that I was not a fan of for hunting. Even at 2.3x it wasn't the easiest to get behind in awkward hunting positions. If you don't plan to dial it doesn't really matter, but I still wouldn't choose the Z8i for even a short range hunting scope again. Lost my ass on that scope, resale value is awful because no one wants to pony up that much for a used one btw.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking for a do it all or do most well set-up. Deer in OK and then chasing game out West.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FFP is best for high mag, long(er) range & dialing; SFP is better at closer range, lower mag. JMHO, kinda depends on your use.

Regardless of what some think, you can still kill game at long(er) range with the SFP as well.

Not sure which Z8i you're looking at but they are all around $3,000 & considerably lighter than the Bushnell if that matters to you.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The LRHS is very impressive for the price. I'd hang onto it.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
FFP is best for high mag, long(er) range & dialing; SFP is better at closer range, lower mag. JMHO, kinda depends on your use.

Regardless of what some think, you can still kill game at long(er) range with the SFP as well.

Not sure which Z8i you're looking at but they are all around $3,000 & considerably lighter than the Bushnell if that matters to you.

MM

The one cited above is almost 26 ounces 2.3-18x56 . I cannot understand the need for super power ranges, what exactly is wrong with 4-5x ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep the Bushnell.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I cannot understand the need for super power ranges, what exactly is wrong with 4-5x ?

Ask the guy that's considering buying one.

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I cannot understand the need for super power ranges, what exactly is wrong with 4-5x ?

MM

Me thinking out loud

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

There's nothing wrong with a 4-5X for the lowest setting on a variable scope. But for serious hunting one needs to be able to verify their target with more magnification is actually legal at longer ranges.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ringman

MM

There's nothing wrong with a 4-5X for the lowest setting on a variable scope. But for serious hunting one needs to be able to verify their target with more magnification is actually legal at longer ranges.

Have to disagree on that one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

MM

If you're hunting at ranges where that's true & you need >12x or so, then you really need a spotting scope.

Rifle scopes are for shooting; spotting scope are for game evaluation at long range.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I and many others disagree.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the 4 higher power LRHS, and they are great, except they are plenty heavy.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The LRHS is one of the clearest, best-built and well-thought-out scopes I've ever used. Definitely wouldn't waste MY money on the Zeiss.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.