-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got a text from my neighbor today. The text I received said "New box of ammo. Big boom. Blew out mag. Comments?" The photo that accompanied that text:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I asked whose rifle it was, and it turns out to belong to another fellow we know. I suggested our friend-in-common get in touch with the Remington ammo folks. That was all before lunchtime.

After I arrived home from work, I get another text from my neighbor, this time "They pulled a bullet from another cartridge and inside the case was corroded. Pressed out primer and it broke into four pieces. New Walmart ammo."

Then I receive more pics of the catastrophe:

Looks to be a 788 bolt, and pics of the action (which only really show reddish brown residue inside it) confirm that it is indeed a 788.

Last pic, but possibly important info:

I am making NO assumptions whatsoever as to who is responsible for the substandard quality or condition of this ammo, whether it be manufacturer, transporter, wholesaler, retailer, or what/whomever.

As (and if) I find out more I will update available info.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for the heads up. I recently picked up a Remington model Four in 6mm Rem. Sweet shooter so far with factory Hornady loads and I wanted to try the Remingtons as well. I screenshot the lot number you posted, will pass on them if it’s the same lot.

Originally Posted by beretzs

I used an 06 with 212 ELD this year. I kinda joked with my buddies it was sorta like a 6.5 Creed with some ballz...
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for that information.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by peak98
Thanks for the heads up. I recently picked up a Remington model Four in 6mm Rem. Sweet shooter so far with factory Hornady loads and I wanted to try the Remingtons as well. I screenshot the lot number you posted, will pass on them if it’s the same lot.

FWIW, Uncle has a 760 in 6mm that's irritatingly accurate with Federal 100's. I realize you have a Semi-Auto and his is a pump, just mentioning that the Federal ammo is very accurate in my sample of 1.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You should see the quality of Winchester ammo lately.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Contact Remington immediately, might save someone a lot of pain.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by horse1

FWIW, Uncle has a 760 in 6mm that's irritatingly accurate with Federal 100's. I realize you have a Semi-Auto and his is a pump, just mentioning that the Federal ammo is very accurate in my sample of 1.

I appreciate the recommendation, I’ll try the federal’s out.
peak98

Originally Posted by beretzs

I used an 06 with 212 ELD this year. I kinda joked with my buddies it was sorta like a 6.5 Creed with some ballz...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well...

Looks like I was not getting the straight story on the origins of this ammo.

I just had a chance to speak to the fellow who had this experience and it turns out he is not sure how old the ammo is. He is certain that it has always been stored in his ammo safe (with all his other ammo, none of which has given him any trouble) and away from any solvents or chemicals, but he cannot provide a date of purchase.

He did want an explanation as to why there is corrosion inside the cases, and of course all I can do is guess. He stated that he DID contact Remington and he received an automated acknowledgement, but has heard nothing back specific to his situation.

At this point, I have to say this really looks like something other than what it first appeared to be. Seeing as how the lot number could be a decade old, I'm thinking there are unique circumstances surrounding the event. For all I know, that box of ammo was forgotten and rode around under the seat of his pickup for six North Texas summers and he just doesn't remember that. Who knows...

As it stands now I wish I'd said nothing at all, but I guess it's better to err on the side of caution. I was led to believe this ammo was recently purchased, and had that actually been true I would think myself negligent for saying nothing.

Maybe Remington will have an explanation, or maybe reveal a date of manufacture...we'll see. If I get the info I will pass it on.

Sorry if I raised any unnecessary alarm.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.