Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got Leica Geovid 8x42s about 10-12 years ago and used them for 5-6 years. Then switched to ZEISS 8x45s which I still use. Really nothing to complain about with either. They range further than I need. Glass is great. They’re heavy but that’s to be expected

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I use Swarovski EL-Range 8x42's. I love them. Glass is good, rangefinder works well, battery lasts forever. They've been knocked around all over the world by me and the airlines.

I haven't tried any of the others in real world situations.

The only think about the Swaros is the aiming circle is in one lens, while the data is provided in the other. If you are monocular it could be a problem. The Leicas have them in the same lens.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a hard time seeing the reticle in Leica Geovids, especially in any bright light, so switched to Bushnell Fusion Miles several years ago and have been extremely happy with them

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've been using a pair of second generation Leica 8x42 Geovids, non HD since 2005.
Paid $1500 on sale. I've seen no pressing need to upgrade.
While not the glass nor rangefinder the newer ones are, they're still more than good enough for my needs.

They replaced a Nikon RF, and Leupold Wind River 8x32's.
It was definitely stepping into a new level of glass and the convenience of having both in one unit.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 11/19/19.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Leica 3000 HD-B and have used them side by side with the Sig BDX. The Leica has better glass and is a better rangefinder, but the BDX is a heck of a bargain at half the price. I've also used the Leica 3000 HD-B side by side with the Terrapin X, which is a better range finder with great glass, but a monocular.

My main complaints about the Leica 3000 HD-B are:
-Aiming reticle too large, not allowing user to know precisely what they're aiming at.
-Data displayed should be much closer to the position of the aiming reticle. You've got to look at two different locations in the FOV, which is needless, awkward, and undermines the peripheral view of either or the target image.
-Absolutely should include a quality tripod mount or offer one as an accessory, it's absurd to leave this feature off such an instrument.
-Leica's menu system was designed by the engineering team that brought us the ATM. It's terrible and the only thing worse are their instructions.
-Should display windage data for lasered ranges based on predetermined values/increments. The unit only displays elevation data.
-The Leica's LRF struggles in bright light when the sun is lower in the sky.

Leica's glass is spectacular. Their ballistic solver is very good and adequate for hunting scenarios. I've used the 3000 HD-B for Roosevelt Elk, whitetails, coyotes, hogs, woodchucks, and Axis at ranges in excess of 800 yards. I've also used it extensively at PRS matches. The latest version of the Leica is a great unit compared to the rest of the field. The only range finding binocular I've used that's a better all the way around is the Vector and it's lots better.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned 3 pairs of geovids, the older models not the split bridge HD-B and the swaro EL range.. what I found was, when I was using a hand held RF unit, I would find the animals in my binoculars, then I would have to fish out my RF, look through a monocular, find the animal again, which BTW isn't that easy looking through a monocular, then take the range. This lost precious seconds that could be used to make a shot. I believe having my RF unit in my binoculars has made the difference on lots of animals I have been able to shoot because I got the range faster and easier. My brother in law would say the same thing. The older leica geovid pre HD and HD were good on deer sized targets to about 800 yards. yeah they can range further but it will take some fiddling to get the range. the swaro EL range has a much more powerful RF unit. they will easily range in most conditions to 11-1300 yards and often times quite a bit further. the leica HD-b's I didn't like these, I was planning on buying them but they just don't fit my eyes. I also feel they have more green tint than even the previous HD models. The glass in the swaro EL's is only slightly better than the leica HD's

bottom line is I will not hunt without RF binoculars.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
No one with experience using the new Zeiss Victory?

Seems like the best of all worlds with the Bluetooth compatibility to load your ballistic data from phone app.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I started with '04 Geovid BRF 10x42, sent them in once for "Signal Fade". Used them until '12 when I upgraded optically to Zeiss 10x45. I liked the view through the Zeiss better but preferred the laser/speed of display and much smaller designator box in the Leica. Sold the 10x45 Zeiss and bought a Luotec coated 8x45 Zeiss. Great optically, still had the large ranging circle. Needed to send the Zeiss in for repair and purchased Leica 8x42 2200 HD-B's while the Zeiss were gone. Sold the Zeiss when they returned as the HD-B's were better optically, had a faster readout, and a smaller laser target window which I preferred. I have since sold the Leica and currently am using 8x42 Swaro EL Range. They are IMO an optical tie with the Leica HD-B, and I prefer the Leica's readout speed and small target designator box. However, I strongly prefer the output info given by the Swaro. I can set the LRF to give me an angle compensated range as well as actual range at the same time (dial the short one, hold wind for the long one). This allows me to dial elevation for "ballistic distance" and hold wind for actual distance.

I shoot too many different rifles/chamberings to be fiddling with ballistic calculators/programs continually. The Swarovski spits out the info I need to make required adjustments. I do wish the Swaro was faster to display ranged info and I wish the ranging circle was smaller.

I can't imagine hunting without a binoc/LRF combo unit anymore.

Last edited by horse1; 11/20/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do any of the models on the market currently have the “reticle” and yardage pop up in the left barrel? Seems all that I’ve looked through have it pop up in the right barrel which is a no go for me...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Seems like the best of all worlds with the Bluetooth compatibility to load your ballistic data from phone app.

Only saw them at a trade show. From what I saw they are the best on the market. Very impressive, however I think Zeiss products look cheap generally, the paint and all black finish makes them not look upscale.

IC B3

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've been using range finding binos for hunting about 5 years now. IMO, the utility of the integrated LRF/Bino can't be overstated. Like others have said, I can't imagine hunting without a LRF/Bino combo anymore. Here's what I can tell you about the EL Range LRF/Bino:

The LRF display intensity setting is adjustable. This is an important feature to me because I'm color blind and low intensity red/orange displays wash out in bright light.

The LRF read out is very simple, it displays both line of sight and horizontal distance in a very simple to read format. I too use several different rifles in the field so the simplicity of the EL Range is a big plus to me.

Battery life is long.

I did have one set of EL Range LRF fail in the field. Swaro did fix them in very short order, though the LRF was out of commission for the rest of that particular hunt. Fortunately, the guide had a pair of the same EL Range binos so it was not big deal. That said, they've seen some hard use and seem to be pretty tough.

The EL Range will not range targets under 30 yards (approximate), which may be an issue for bowhunting.

The optics are very, very good.

Earlier this year I purchased the new SIG Kilo3000 BDX for long range shooting because, unlike the Swaro, it integrates rifle ballistics and firing solutions into the display. I love the simplicity of the Swaro, but wanted to see if the Sig Kilo3000 BDX features would make it a game changer. With a better implementation it would be. But the current version of Sig Kilo3000BDX the display is hard for color blind folks to see, the diopter focus rings do not stay in place, and the optics are not as clear and crisp as the Swaro.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As I suspected, Leica upgrades the Geovid to the 3200.com.

Bluetooth connection. Instant ballistic solution based off your inputs in the app.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

I have the Zeiss 10x range finding binos. Overall, everything is excellent about them.

The only disappointment is that the image is not as good as my Zeiss Conquest HD binos in very low light trying to evaluate buck racks.

I started to sell them, but as others mention, combining range finding with binos is really invaluable, so, kept them.

I owned two pair of Leica RF binos previously, and they had trouble ranging dark colored animals even such as a large dark colored cow in bright overhead light in humid conditions. The other broke. Both went back within 30 days of purchase and the Zeiss are vastly more reliable. Swaro RF binos are excellent, but uncomfortable in hand to me.

So to me, of the big three, Zeiss RF binos are the best irrespective of price. Swaros are good if comfortable in hand to the user, which to me they were not. Leica's just were not reliable in hot, humid conditions with bright overhead light, which is common in South Texas. So, skip the Leicas.

Looking through Meopta's, the image quality was no where even close to the Zeiss.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
None of them have a 10x50 SV view and it's not close to my eyeballs. Leica's RF's can't touch the latest sig RF's IMO, so I'm keeping them separate for the time being anyway.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
None of them have a 10x50 SV view and it's not close to my eyeballs. Leica's RF's can't touch the latest sig RF's IMO, so I'm keeping them separate for the time being anyway.

JG- would love to hear more on Sig v Leica with your take on Sig being ahead. On glass? Features? Both? More?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
In pure rangefinding ability, I think the Sig has no peer right now. We've been chasing cull mule deer for the past 3 weeks, and the landowner has the leica 2400. It had the same problems my Geovid had in that in cold temps it was very unreliable, while my Sig 2200 never missed a beat and was better on non reflective targets most every time. Glass wise I'd pick Leica, but that was the only advantage I've seen. I also like the BDX for what it is, and the dope reads right off of Sig's ballistic app, which you input yourself from proven dope. It works perfectly so far.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
None of them have a 10x50 SV view and it's not close to my eyeballs.

Concur. The view in the RF binos cannot compare to binos without LRF. The Swaro RF binos have the best lowlight performance to my eye, but the ergos are awful.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like my Zeiss Victory RF Binoculars (8x45 T RF) I got from Doug for about half retail. Sorta big but not that heavy. RF works great. Glass is typical Alpha excellent.

I have not had a chance to compare this unit with Alpha equivalents, but don't see how they could be that much better. I think you're down to nuances among the top tier binocs.

Check'em out, go with the one that trips your wire...

My brother's truck is better than mine, because it's his... wink

Some of that thinking, no doubt, is in play here.

But, he's convinced... cool

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In pure rangefinding ability, I think the Sig has no peer right now. We've been chasing cull mule deer for the past 3 weeks, and the landowner has the leica 2400. It had the same problems my Geovid had in that in cold temps it was very unreliable, while my Sig 2200 never missed a beat and was better on non reflective targets most every time. Glass wise I'd pick Leica, but that was the only advantage I've seen. I also like the BDX for what it is, and the dope reads right off of Sig's ballistic app, which you input yourself from proven dope. It works perfectly so far.

JG,

My Geovid 2200 has always ranged all types of targets more reliably and further out than my Sig Kilo 2200, and after returning from Leica warranty repair due to the low temperature issue you mentioned, it no longer is hampered in its ranging reliability by the cold. It’s a significantly better RF than the couple of Kilo 2000’s and the one Kilo 2200 that I’ve owned. I have noticed, however, that there is quite a range of performance between different Sig RF units, even of the same model, so I don’t doubt your experiences, either.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Really like my geovids. Use them mainly for p-dogs so they get a ton of use.

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.