Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Tried to find some lighter fluid the other day for my refillable type hand warmers. Couldn't find any lighter fluid!!! Got me to wondering about Coleman fuel for lanterns, stoves and such. Anybody have good advice for or against using Coleman fuel in such a device??

Yup. I use it all the time. Works just as well, if not better than the lighter specific fuel.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Now that you have the can refill it with naphtha from the hardware store

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Kingsford

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not a bad replacement.

Kingsford MSDS

Naptha: 60 – 100%
Stoddard Solvent (mineral spirits) : 60 – 100%

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gasoline works fine. some chicks dig the smell.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootem
Tried to find some lighter fluid the other day for my refillable type hand warmers. Couldn't find any lighter fluid!!! Got me to wondering about Coleman fuel for lanterns, stoves and such. Anybody have good advice for or against using Coleman fuel in such a device??

I've been burning Coleman fuel and White Gas in my Zippo lighter and hand held warmers for years and years. That white gas is right on the same shelf next to the Coleman fuel. I got no problems with 'em.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
shootem,

Not a petroleum expert, but those seem to me to be two completely different types of fuels.

I had enough fuel burns on my legs when I carried a full Zippo lighter using regular lighter fluid to want to try using a "thinner", more volatile version in anything I'm going to be carrying.

You might just have to go to a smoke shop, Indian tobacco store, or some such, maybe in a bigger town to find genuine lighter fluid.

Geno

Next time you run across a bicycle inner tube, but off a few inches and save it. Take about 2 inches off that and stretch it right over the lighter. Then you'll have to roll it down to open the lighter and roll it up after you close it but that fluid fill will last 3 -4 times as long and you'll never get that leg burn again. It also makes the lighter water proof as far as I can tell from the 4-5 years I been carrying mine that way.

Last edited by JackRyan; 11/23/19.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, our church had a 4th of July picnic and celebration. Someone always made a run to South Dakota for firecrackers/works. I had a Zippo lighter for lighting firecrackers. It ran out of fuel. We only lived a block from the church, so Dad took me home to refill the lighter. He overfilled it at the kitchen sink, and fuel ran down his hairy left arm. Naturally, he flicked the wheel to see if it worked. There was a sudden "poof" and his bare left arm no longer matched his hirsute right arm. When we returned home that evening, Mom had a fit about where on Earth the awful smell lingering in the kitchen came from.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,234
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.