B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by BobMt

I have never owned a Weatherby before...but it comes in left hand......and the 257 bee seems like a heck of a round....wonder why you don't hear more about it......bob

You don't hear more about it for multiple reasons. First is that there are not a lot of rifles chambered for it. And those that are tend to be more expensive., making it a better option for handloaders than those that shoot factory ammo. Third, while it shoots flatter than most other cartridges inside 700 yards (and probably further), it is an overbore barrel burner - it is a hunter, not a target cartridge.

My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle. While it doesn't push bullets as fast as a .25-06 or .257 WBY, it does pretty well with +P brass and loads, it is economical on powder and it is a joy to shoot. A Savage 111 action I have as a donor has a mag bolt face and i've been debating how to chamber the new barrel. Could change the bolt face and go with a non-magnum. Have considered .25-06, .257 WBY, 6.5 PRC, 6.5-06, 6.5-06AI, .264 WM, 26 Nosler, .270 Win, .270WBY, .280 AI, 28 Nosler and a few others that I don't already have.

I keep coming back to the idea of a cartridge that is economical on powder, relatively easy on the shoulder and adequate for hunting elk and smaller out to at least 600 yards. Good availability and options for bullets and brass is a requirement.as well. Since only one SIL reloads and I plan to pass this rifle down to family later on, the less exotic the better. My current 6.5-06AI shoots as flat as a 257 WBY and does so using .25-06 brass that is fire-formed. And does it with a 24" barrel.

Still have not decided on the chambering but have eliminated some, including the .257 WBY. I'd rather go with a 6.5PRC or .264WM than the .257 WBY.

…….I don't know why a rifle that is more expensive is better for a handloader…….I will shoot factory only.....I am not a target shooter so the life of the barrel should be fine for me.

it is also hard to get a wide selection shooting lh…..not lh just shoot that way....haven't had a weatherby before be nice to try one out.....

cost of ammo is not a consideration …..24 vs 26......2 inches difference.....not a big deal......thanks for all the replies.....bob

GB1

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

anybody have a lh 257 mag ultra light they might think about selling......bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just finished loading a few over 100, with 110 gr Accubond's, over 69.5 gr's of rldr 22.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Just finished loading a few over 100, with 110 gr Accubond's, over 69.5 gr's of rldr 22.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

those look seated out a touch farther than wby factory loads.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ll have my first 257 Roy in a week or two.

Excited to test it out.

I love my 270 Roy Ultra Lightweight

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

You don't hear more about it for multiple reasons. First is that there are not a lot of rifles chambered for it. And those that are tend to be more expensive., making it a better option for handloaders than those that shoot factory ammo. ...

…….I don't know why a rifle that is more expensive is better for a handloader…….I will shoot factory only.....I am not a target shooter so the life of the barrel should be fine for me.

it is also hard to get a wide selection shooting lh…..not lh just shoot that way....haven't had a weatherby before be nice to try one out.....

cost of ammo is not a consideration …..24 vs 26......2 inches difference.....not a big deal......thanks for all the replies.....bob

The “better option for handloaders” was in respect to ammo availability and cost – looks like I made an editing error whrn I was writing/rewriting that paragraph. Cost of ammo may not apply to you, even though you shoot factory ammo. But it matters to most shooters.

I prefer 22” to 24 or 26” and much prefer 24” to 26”. Not much difference, you say, but I find a 26” barrel on a bolt gun snags far more often. YMMV.

Granted, LH rifles are far fewer in availability. Sounds like the .257WBY would be a good fit for you, not so much for most.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

coyote hunter thanks for your view...….I agree that to a shooter...cost could be an issue......this will be a hunting rifle the amount of ammo ran thru it wont be that much..

barrel length.....I like 24....but 2 inches in the grand scheme of things for me wont matter much.....thick timber....shorter....open meadows....prairie fine...…

I also think the 257 mag will be a good fit ...thanks.....I also think it sounds like a good fit for anyone that likes and wants a pretty flat shooting rifle.....bob

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

coyote hunter thanks for your view...….I agree that to a shooter...cost could be an issue......this will be a hunting rifle the amount of ammo ran thru it wont be that much..

barrel length.....I like 24....but 2 inches in the grand scheme of things for me wont matter much.....thick timber....shorter....open meadows....prairie fine...…

I also think the 257 mag will be a good fit ...thanks.....I also think it sounds like a good fit for anyone that likes and wants a pretty flat shooting rifle.....bob

What I read earlier today was a 24” 257 Roy is basically a 25-06AI or 25-06. The additional factory true 26” barrel length is best for the 257 Roy.
I’m only stating what I read and not my experience (yet)

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,125
Posts18,483,808
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.