Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Over the last 15 years I have been prescribed a statin drug several times. That would be at low intensity. My cholesterol total and ratio have always been in the normal range. I'm given that because of my type 2 diabetes. They say it is to prevent heart disease.

Here's the thing, even at low dose every statin drug I've tried has ended up in whole body muscle pain, fatigue and some confusion. I tell the doctor that and he says I need to take them anyway. In this last one I tried taking CQ-10, which helped some but did not do the trick.

So I guess my choice is either living my life with this pain and weakness OR risk future heart disease. Well, I don't fear death but do fear incapacitation. I value the quality of my life now over some future projections.

No more statins, doc doesn't like it but it is my life.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Daughter in law is a PhD pharmacist and she told me under no circumstances allow your doctor to prescribe you any statin drug. My close friend who is a orthopedic surgeon says exactly the same thing. Increases your risk for stroke and heart attack.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My heart doc says I do need them.

They do manage my cholesterol well.

Not a fan of taking any medication. But I take a statin and a blood thinner daily.

I don't care much for the alternative.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I call those my mean pills. Started first time 6 months ago. Nurse called with 6 months check up blood work.
No changes to stronger pills
Diabetics crap is one low dose aspirin, one mean pill, and two Janumet a day and the blood thinner
I just live with the pain and weakness
No choice in that

Good luck

Last edited by Wtxj; 11/25/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Daughter in law is a PhD pharmacist and she told me under no circumstances allow your doctor to prescribe you any statin drug. My close friend who is a orthopedic surgeon says exactly the same thing. Increases your risk for stroke and heart attack.

Now now, don't want to hear that

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They are nasty. They made my brother in law sick, caused symptoms like Parkinsons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Oh, your knife will get blooded sometime this fall. Very nice piece of equipment.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Over the last 15 years I have been prescribed a statin drug several times. That would be at low intensity. My cholesterol total and ratio have always been in the normal range. I'm given that because of my type 2 diabetes. They say it is to prevent heart disease.

Here's the thing, even at low dose every statin drug I've tried has ended up in whole body muscle pain, fatigue and some confusion. I tell the doctor that and he says I need to take them anyway. In this last one I tried taking CQ-10, which helped some but did not do the trick.

So I guess my choice is either living my life with this pain and weakness OR risk future heart disease. Well, I don't fear death but do fear incapacitation. I value the quality of my life now over some future projections.

No more statins, doc doesn't like it but it is my life.

I have the same issue with them. A small % of of the population does not tolerate them. Talk to your MD about Zetia. It's a non statin cholesterol lower med. Science has not confirmed it is as beneficial as statins, but it does lower the numbers without the statin side effects. I take it. CoQ10 is good so stay on that. Diabetes is rough, so do what you need to do on that end. Good luck.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My doc put me on statins a couple of years ago. Right away, my blood sugar went crazy. After about a year of it, I stopped taking it. Within 2 weeks my blood sugar was back to normal. Also a bunch of other [bleep] health problems went away. It took me a bit to realize it: Atavorstatin made me sick.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I've been on atorvastatin for several years. Luckily, I don't have a problem with it.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Told ‘em I wasn’t taken ‘em. That simple.

End of story.

WIfe’s been on Atorvistatin for years.
She’s trying to wean her azz off of it.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/25/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Same symptoms here for all of the statins. I quit about 3 years ago.Now only take CQ10 and low dose aspirin.Would like to stop the aspirin because of easy bruising, but I have history of aneurysms in my family

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll trust my health to my Doctor over an internet forum .

I've been on them since 1999. My dear mother died at 63 from stokes, and heart attracts. I wish the drugs would have been there in time for her.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Statins or going to see Jesus? Jesus, please. (Post double bypass dreams were living death.)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I've been on atorvastatin for several years. Luckily, I don't have a problem with it.

Same same, and also not ded.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I tried a number of different statins, either muscle pain, grumpy, irritability, just couldn't stay on them and live at home! So my doc finally said to take 1800MG of red yeast rice every day. So Is tarted it and in 6 months my LDL was down into an "acceptable" range. Those target values are govt. mandated, so don't think it's for everyone. I've been on RYR now for several years and my cholesterol has stayed managed. By the way, only my LDL shows high, my total cholesterol count is within the "standards".

Red yeast rice at 1800MG means a lot of pills, at least two if you look around. Most pills are 400 or 600 MG, gets expensive. Go on Amazon and by the RYR in bulk, much cheaper, and use a rounded 1/2 teaspoon and you have the 1800 +/-. I mix it with V8 juice, goes down easier.

Forgot to mention, no side effects, at least for me!

Last edited by WayneShaw; 11/25/19.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Dunno??? Wifeys been in the capable hands of health care professionals for decades.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Dunno??? Wifeys been in the capable hands of health care professionals for decades.

That's not reassuring.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, good health and luck to all you gentlemen and your ladies.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Seriously look at your diet and research what might be improved.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,500 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.