Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I tried a number of different statins, either muscle pain, grumpy, irritability, just couldn't stay on them and live at home! So my doc finally said to take 1800MG of red yeast rice every day. So Is tarted it and in 6 months my LDL was down into an "acceptable" range. Those target values are govt. mandated, so don't think it's for everyone. I've been on RYR now for several years and my cholesterol has stayed managed. By the way, only my LDL shows high, my total cholesterol count is within the "standards".

Red yeast rice at 1800MG means a lot of pills, at least two if you look around. Most pills are 400 or 600 MG, gets expensive. Go on Amazon and by the RYR in bulk, much cheaper, and use a rounded 1/2 teaspoon and you have the 1800 +/-. I mix it with V8 juice, goes down easier.

Forgot to mention, no side effects, at least for me!

This plus tart cherries, a handful at night on an empty stomach right before going to bed!

MAGA! This is the way!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Statins, for a person that has had a heart attack, provide a number of benefits, beyond the obvious ones. As with any pharma product, you should weigh cost be benefit. I take a statin daily. My doctor prescribes it, my two PharmD buddies who monitor all my drug usage agree. I have consulted with numerous close friends with PhD degrees in Pharmacodynamics, medicinal chemistry, and I had a number of years in the pharma industry. For me, there is no evidence of a downside to taking a statin.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Over the last 15 years I have been prescribed a statin drug several times. That would be at low intensity. My cholesterol total and ratio have always been in the normal range. I'm given that because of my type 2 diabetes. They say it is to prevent heart disease.

Here's the thing, even at low dose every statin drug I've tried has ended up in whole body muscle pain, fatigue and some confusion. I tell the doctor that and he says I need to take them anyway. In this last one I tried taking CQ-10, which helped some but did not do the trick.

So I guess my choice is either living my life with this pain and weakness OR risk future heart disease. Well, I don't fear death but do fear incapacitation. I value the quality of my life now over some future projections.

No more statins, doc doesn't like it but it is my life.

I made the same decision on my last doctor visit. Said I was not going to take Atorvistatin anymore.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Over the last 15 years I have been prescribed a statin drug several times. That would be at low intensity. My cholesterol total and ratio have always been in the normal range. I'm given that because of my type 2 diabetes. They say it is to prevent heart disease.

Here's the thing, even at low dose every statin drug I've tried has ended up in whole body muscle pain, fatigue and some confusion. I tell the doctor that and he says I need to take them anyway. In this last one I tried taking CQ-10, which helped some but did not do the trick.

So I guess my choice is either living my life with this pain and weakness OR risk future heart disease. Well, I don't fear death but do fear incapacitation. I value the quality of my life now over some future projections.

No more statins, doc doesn't like it but it is my life.

Ya, that's something I would look forward to. A debilitating heart attack that would leave me unable to walk from the front door to the mailbox without stopping to take a break halfway there. Brightest lightbulb on the Christmas tree you are not...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Daughter in law is a PhD pharmacist and she told me under no circumstances allow your doctor to prescribe you any statin drug. My close friend who is a orthopedic surgeon says exactly the same thing. Increases your risk for stroke and heart attack.

A Texas A&M graduate?

Moe

"Pick out two!"
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Statins, for a person that has had a heart attack, provide a number of benefits, beyond the obvious ones. As with any pharma product, you should weigh cost be benefit. I take a statin daily. My doctor prescribes it, my two PharmD buddies who monitor all my drug usage agree. I have consulted with numerous close friends with PhD degrees in Pharmacodynamics, medicinal chemistry, and I had a number of years in the pharma industry. For me, there is no evidence of a downside to taking a statin.

This ^^^^^^

Moe

"Pick out two!"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by justsaymoe

This ^^^^^^

Operative words here are: For me"

When your joints and muscles ache so bad that you feel like you can't walk around, then it is time to get off them.Some people have no side effects, some do. I am one along with many that do.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This February 6th I had a stroke and a week later a stint put into my 85%-90% blocked carotid artery. Got diagnosed with diabetes at the same time. Metformin doesn't bother me but the Atorvastatin is miserable. Some nights are better than others but damn ! I really don’t feel like I have any better choice so I live with it. The aspirin and plavix aren’t terrible. I don’t have any bruising problem but I’ll bleed for a good while with the slightest nick.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I can’t take it either

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Daughter in law is a PhD pharmacist and she told me under no circumstances allow your doctor to prescribe you any statin drug. My close friend who is a orthopedic surgeon says exactly the same thing. Increases your risk for stroke and heart attack.

But she probably has no problem filling prescriptions.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been on Lipitor Pro/Atorvastatin since 1994. Just after quad bypass. In my case, A good exercise routine and the statin goes a long way in lowering cholesterol.

Last edited by 308ld; 11/25/19.

Ed
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Threads like this are always inspiring.

I think I'll go run some hills before dinner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Threads like this are always inspiring.

I think I'll go run some hills before dinner.

If i was forty years younger I'd go with you... cry grin

Ed
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My cholesterol used to be borderline. In the good ranges, but close. That along with my family history led my doc to prescribe statins to me. I took them for several years with no side effects. It did lower my levels to the lower end of the spectrum. But reading of possible issues prompted me to talk my Doc into staying off them for a while just to see what happened. I have blood tests done every few months and for the last 2 years my levels stayed pretty low. They went up a bit without them, but were still well within acceptable ranges.

I'm 61 and on my last visit in September he showed me some information. He has some sort of program where he can enter all of my data and it shows I'm at a 12% risk for a heart attack within the next 10 years, which is pretty good. But lowering my cholesterol by just a few more points gets the risk down well under 10%. We compromised, he cut my dosage in half, and I only take it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I go back in February and we'll see where the levels are then.

I do have a family history and even though no one is overweight both of my parents had heart issues, especially mom. They both took statins, both had heart attacks, both had stents, and eventually pacemakers. But the same doc kept dad alive until 90, mom made it to 88. And my numbers and overall health is better than theirs. Smoking in their earlier years took a tool on them both after about age 80. I've never smoked and have been far more physically active.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I started on them probably 20 years ago. The first couple I tried gave me the muscle aches that are known side effects and Doc finally had me try Crestor...side effects went away and LDL went down over 100 points.

Both my parents had heart problems so I’d be crazy not to take it.

There are more options available now so you don’t have to go without because of side effects.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by justsaymoe

This ^^^^^^

Operative words here are: For me"

When your joints and muscles ache so bad that you feel like you can't walk around, then it is time to get off them.Some people have no side effects, some do. I am one along with many that do.

Did you try pravastatin?

Moe

"Pick out two!"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I need to read this but I also had such pain with the first ones about 5 years ago. My PA convinced me to start again I did about 3 weeks ago so far so good

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
A lot of people are killed by Doctor's mistakes and oversights.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
About a month ago I had a blood test done.

High cholesterol, I think the reading was above 300?

They sent me a letter explaining how I need to schedule an appointment to get on some drugs.

42 years old FWIW.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/25/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll trust my health to my Doctor over an internet forum .

Excellent advice/response.
Millions of people in the U.S. take statins and only a small percentage have problems with them. They are not expensive, big Pharma doesn't make a whole lot of money on them, and can serve an important part of ones arsenal against cardiovascular disease.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.