Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctsmith
46, high cholesterol. Everything else is perfect; blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. Atorvastatin kicked my butt. Switched to Rosuvastatin (Crestor) and its not too bad, definitely manageable. Been getting blood tested every three months for two years. I've experimented on my own. Rosuvastatin drives down my cholesterol no matter the diet. I quit taking it and ate a very strict low cholesterol diet, however Cholesterol shot right back up. Got back on it and ate bad intentionally, cholesterol went right back down. In summary, diet doesn't see to effect my cholesterol
and Rosuvastatin drives it down easily. Must be hereditary

I don't remember the details, but my Dr. once explained to me how some folks just can't control their cholesterol through diet. You, and myself, apparently fall under that umbrella.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stopped taking statins because of the side-effects, which from my reading are an indication that the drug is doing bad stuff to your organs. Went a year without them and as expected my cholesterol went up. Started with Zetia, but the first one put me on the john all day, and the second made my lips start to tingle and feel fat, so no more of that.

About a month ago, I had a couple of incidents of feeling woozy and weak, so ended up in the ER and got a chest x-ray and CAT scan. Nothing there, so went back for my third stress test and carotid check. All clear, despite the big chunks of fat floating around in my bloodstream. Apparently, though no one but me will say so, my symptoms resulted from a pretty hard fall I took going into the woods one morning. I landed on my hands and one knee, but a couple of days later, after the ER fun, my neck and shoulders got pretty stiff. I've been rowing regularly and have had a couple of pretty hard and long deer drags without any symptoms before my tumble, and none since resuming my regular activity after my tests.

I'm trying to alter my diet to get the numbers down, but since I don't have any of the complicating factors (smoking, diabetes) I'm staying off the drugs and taking my chances.

Now, if I can only lose some of this fat........

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Been taking Atorvastatin prescribed by Dr. for "slightly" elevated cholesterol for about three months now with none of the previously mentioned negative issues that I've noticed yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m trying to remember all the cholesterol losing drugs I’ve been on. Pravachol, zetia, Zocor, ezetimibe, Lipitor.
Now on the generic of Lipitor. Heart doc told me there was evidence of Lipitor dissolving plaque in arteries.
Good idea to follow Cardiologist advice. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
lots of mushrooms species make statins,

no follow up studies have verified hydrophilic (water loving) vs hydrophobic patient compatibility.

statins them selves-- do not cause the side effects, they only block an enzyme reductase of CoA which is used in many pathways.

its the basic "lack of health" in that pathway that causes the "side effect" (yes i know tell the muscles that are hurting]

these involve both protein and glucose metabolism. which is why metformin is usually given with them. (the insulin resistance goes hand in hand with the inflammation reaction in the arteries,.. Thats what insulin does it imitates an inflammation reaction and why you become immune to your own insulin)

Repath is the only thing that "dissolves" cholesterol plaques, do not confuse the "release of the plaques by a drug such as estradiol etc. and resulting stroke with dissolving"

Take CoQ10. which is low in your body normally, along with pantothenic acid, both are in the pathway affecting the same reductase enzyme --- whether your on statins or not on statins. your low anyway.

in the near future look for some older anti-inflammatory drugs to be re-marketed. one in particular Colchicine, will be introduced shortly and works by stopping the cell division of the proteins causing the inflammation in the arteries. Just as it did in gout.

This is why walnuts work to reduce inflammation, they have a free radical scavenger in them, that also controls Ca levels in plants and animals. (help prevent kidney stones in humans.)

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Check out "The Great Cholesterol Myth" on Amazon. Interesting to read some of the comments. I have refused to take statins.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Daughter in law is a PhD pharmacist and she told me under no circumstances allow your doctor to prescribe you any statin drug. My close friend who is a orthopedic surgeon says exactly the same thing. Increases your risk for stroke and heart attack.

A Texas A&M graduate?

Also, orthos are for skeletal issues, not cardiac ones. That's like taking advice on an electrical problem from a diesel mechanic.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by justsaymoe
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Daughter in law is a PhD pharmacist and she told me under no circumstances allow your doctor to prescribe you any statin drug. My close friend who is a orthopedic surgeon says exactly the same thing. Increases your risk for stroke and heart attack.

A Texas A&M graduate?

Also, orthos are for skeletal issues, not cardiac ones. That's like taking advice on an electrical problem from a diesel mechanic.

No, that does not stand up....

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by victoro
A lot of people are killed by Doctor's mistakes and oversights.
. That’s why I never trust one source. I have doctors among my friends, and in the family, I know PhDs in a number of fields. I read, study, and discuss. I make informed healthcare decisions. Everyone should do that. N

Sam......

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Things that do stand up

Lovaza , prescription fish oil, Cretin supplements shakes to replace ATP stores for muscle weakness.

side effects on statins a 5 in 10,000

meta analysis of side effects, does not point directly to statins,

Statins save lives.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Etoh
Things that do stand up

Lovaza , prescription fish oil, Cretin supplements shakes to replace ATP stores for muscle weakness.

Statins save lives.

Not sure why you would want supplements from thyroid deficiencies...

Or did you mean Creatine?

Impossible for statin side effects to be that low. Way too much out there pointing directly at them. Yes, I seriously distrust big pharma.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Undoubtedly. But more and more, it seems that I run into people who must be taking cretin supplement.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hello lab coat Etoh, I'm 57 and a lazy cow farmer who wont work out, eat buffalo, elk, axis, venison, beef, wild and store bought pork, fatty chicken and fish, eat 4 to 6 eggs a day, butter and full fat raw cows milk, total cholesterol at last labs 179, genes, or luck? or playing roulette because of semi young age?

Thanks in advance.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Things that do stand up

Statins save lives.

Impossible for statin side effects to be that low. Way too much out there pointing directly at them. Yes, I seriously distrust big pharma.

yes sorry on spelling

the anti statin internet craze thing has been going on for about 10 years

check with stats from NCBI National Center for Biological Information.

its not Big Pharma, its the public that thinks they are "owed" something. Also something like 5000 heart attacks a year from people who stop their statins.

nothing by me if people want to stop them, just leaves more oxygen around

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Hello lab coat Etoh, I'm 57 and a lazy cow farmer who wont work out, eat buffalo, elk, axis, venison, beef, wild and store bought pork, fatty chicken and fish, eat 4 to 6 eggs a day, butter and full fat raw cows milk, total cholesterol at last labs 179, genes, or luck? or playing roulette because of semi young age?

Thanks in advance.

I would suspect your health is above average simply being a farmer.

As far as the gene thing goes--- in most cases of evolutionary development an advantage in one area, for an organisms "survival" it usually leads to a deficit in another area. Sickle Cell Anemia as an example.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Things that do stand up

Statins save lives.

As far as thyroid deficiencies are involved, this is definitely a "first place to start looking" most "salt" today does not contain iodine. and the TSH test is not accurate.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The cramps I get are no fun. Hard to have cramps when you are dead.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

Thanks in advance.

I would suspect your health is above average simply being a farmer.

As far as the gene thing goes--- in most cases of evolutionary development an advantage in one area, for an organisms "survival" it usually leads to a deficit in another area. Sickle Cell Anemia as an example.

Thank You, and good to hear as I've already discovered my deficits, they all reside in the i.q. or lack there of department ; ] so yes, i'll just keep moving, ie, working and playing hard.

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Repath is the only thing that "dissolves" cholesterol plaques"

I always enjoy reading your medical posts. I guess you mean Repatha but as far as I know it just lowers your cholesterol levels. I discussed Repatha with my Cardiologist last year but he didn't say it would actually remove plaque from your arteries. If there is research that says it will I'd like to read it. I probably won't understand a lot the research terminology but I have a friend who will. My SIL bought a bunch of stock last year in a company that a makes drug like Repatha and made a lot of money when he sold it. He sent the me current research findings before he bought it and I didn't see any mention of it dissolving plaque. I think they're still running trails on this drug.

Last edited by victoro; 11/26/19.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"side effects on statins a 5 in 10,000"

I don't believe the published side effect data of any prescription drugs and especially statin drugs. None of many people I know and have known were ever told about the possible side effects of statin drugs or even what to watch out for. Most of them had side effects but didn't realize statin drugs were causing them. There's too many side effects of statin drugs to list but here's some:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...n-depth/statin-side-effects/art-20046013

Also as far as I know there is no mechanism in place to report and track prescription drug problems to the drug maker or anybody else.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,235
Posts18,485,710
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.