Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So, Birdie, can we all just assume that you had planned all along to buy the cheapest stripped-down version of a 2WD truck and a used Harley and just move along to something more important?

Asking for a friend............

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70.

If I knew that I had to work 'till age 70,..I'd spend my nights walking through the ghetto hoping somebody would knock me in the head.

Plus the way TRS works, if I can put in seven more years I get an extra $1,000/mo retirement.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobMt

my dad never had a 4wd.....I remember going all over the desert in az..... camping up in the white mountains...he always gave it hell when it needed it...…..in a car no less....

I started out with 4wd...sure was a lot easier...…….so I know the capabilities of 2wd....that's why I started with 4wd...….

the trailer comment was joking around......all in fun......bob

the desert in arizona.
i have been out where it's perfectly flat, after heavy rain, water has no where to go. in 4x4, and could hardly go two feet.
or the time son had a lifted 4x4chevy truck, big tires, had in a little cattywampus front tires in this little four or five inch ditch and it rained real good. I remember walking about ten miles in the mud and rain cussing that truck.
I don't remember ever getting stuck in my dad's studebaker truck with cleated tires and chains. but there were a lot of places i decided i didn't need to go wondering if i would have to walk it out.
two y ears ago i had my 3/4ton dodge diesel 4x4 in mud up to the axles, about ten miles in on a crappy so called road. I was praying to the baby Jesus we would get out. We did, but i ain't doing that again ever.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BayouRover
So, Birdie, can we all just assume that you had planned all along to buy the cheapest stripped-down version of a 2WD truck and a used Harley and just move along to something more important?

Asking for a friend............

Ain’t planned anything all along, but I did just get a lot of great info. What more timely topic on the ‘Fire than trucks?

I got two paid-off high-mileage Corollas in the driveway that start every time I turn the key, got em back from my Ex and my son when they bought their own vehicles. We also have a great mechanic teaching Auto Shop at school who fixes stuff for free plus the price of parts. When the older Corolla hit 320,000 he dropped in a salvage motor for just $1500 in motor and parts. That was 50,000 miles ago. Runs great doesn’t burn oil. So I got transportation covered.

Be sorta cool if tho if I could leave my son a truck, my Ex’s dad did that, and between them his kids used that old (2wd) truck as needed for most of the next 20 years.

A Harley could get me laid, which is important.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
it was before my time, but my dad said one of the best vehicles for navigating that stuff was a model A ford.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been looking at a yota forerunner for probably two years, or a tundra.
my problem is i have a honda accord 03 with 72k on it, a buick 98 century with under 40k on it, a 98 dodge 3/4ton diesel 4x4 with about 170 k on it, and three or four flat fender jeeps sitting around, plus a 72fj40.
but i would like a new vehicle that i didn't have to worry about breaking down.
My son in law just bought a 4x4 titan, which put the bug in me again.
and i have the ability to pay cash for a new vehicle. a top of the line forerunner.
but being cheap, that 50k winging out the window gives me the shivers.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/25/19.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a harley could get you laid. That kind of went out as looking for a vehicle that would get me laid stopped at about age 20.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70.

If I knew that I had to work 'till age 70,..I'd spend my nights walking through the ghetto hoping somebody would knock me in the head.

Plus the way TRS works, if I can put in seven more years I get an extra $1,000/mo retirement.

and you get seven less years to spend it before you kak.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
a harley could get you laid. That kind of went out as looking for a vehicle that would get me laid stopped at about age 20.

Hey, you’re only young once, but you can be immature forever 🙂

As to the seven years less deal, what I envision is pulling a cargo trailer behind that truck, which would serve as my RV. I’m pretty critical in the life of my granddaughter tho, practically a parent. Ergo it’s gonna be ten years yet before I’m free to hit the road.

I do here ya about the reliable vehicle thing. If I drive either Corolla out of state, I’m bringing the title so I can leave it there if it dies.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll be working until I'm 73 - then it's time to shut it all down..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

A vehicle that I couldn't make break traction and spin out even on slick roads, loose gravel, sand, was an old Chrysler Products car with a " Fluid Drive " transmission.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
God Dam, one can not possibly make up all the stupidity!

Car dealers are all about making money. They make money by selling cars. They sell to local individuals, fleet sales, auctions, online, and you name it they will sell it. So no dealer isn't going to take a vehicle in on trade just because it is TWD! Second I have a few good friends in Wisconsin and travel there often. I have seen plenty of TWD trucks on the roads and in the dealers lots!

Now for this nonsense about a FWD driving as comfortable as a TWD! Are you all retarded or just really that Phuuuukking stupid? I don't see any TWD trucks with aggressive thread pattern tires. If you have a FWD and have highway tires on it then god dam you are full retard! And so much for your argument about mud and snow.

I have both FWD and TWD, both have their places. 99% of the time the average guy can do well with a simple TWD truck! But of course your ego's need stroking so.............

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 11/25/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now for this nonsense about a FWD driving as comfortable as a TWD! Are you all retarded or just really that Phuuuukking stupid? I don't see any TWD trucks with aggressive thread pattern tires. If you have a FWD and have highway tires on it then god dam you are full retard! And so much for your argument about mud and snow.

Huh?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Car dealers are all about making money. They make money by selling cars. They sell to local individuals, fleet sales, auctions, online, and you name it they will sell it. So no dealer isn't going to take a vehicle in on trade just because it is TWD! Second I have a few good friends in Wisconsin and travel there often. I have seen plenty of TWD trucks on the roads and in the dealers lots!

I have both FWD and TWD, both have their places. 99% of the time the average guy can do well with a simple TWD truck! But of course your ego's need stroking so.............

I guess you told us didn’t you?
TFF

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Two things demand 4WD: snow and mud.

In Texas it's ice and mud, my Tacoma is 4wd and I average 20 on the freeway, rarely need it, but when I do, I am usually a long way from anywhere and anyone.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Maybe near IL the southern WI dealers have a bunch - but NOT up here.. Oh, there's a very few here and there but I guarantee you the person trading it in took a bath - or it won't be on the lot, period.. The one I quoted said he just didn't want that truck - because it wouldn't sell here, (- unless the guy wanted to basically give it away.. )

What I posted was the truth.. If you don't like facts, then GFY...

And BTW, what dealerships have you worked for?? Name 'em... I bet you haven't. But I have - I spent 15 years in the biz between June '84 and Feb. '98... And I can name 'em... I'm very, very familiar with car dealerships.. So stick it. Now I'm outta here. I've read enough stupidity from one particular poster today..

Last edited by Redneck; 11/25/19.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I hunt pheasant at my gun club every Monday during the season. Today it was 38 degrees no wind. The area
I hunted today was at the end of a dead end road. The last 75 yards is a dirt 2 track rutted and muddy on most days like today. My F250 Super Duty handled the 2 track fine in 2WD. Turned into the property and while parking got stuck. Just like Sam’s video I sat and spun. Tried easing back and forth, nothing. The culprit was leaves. Wet leaves on bare ground might as well of been ice. Turned the switch and boom movement slow and deliberate. All my buddies had the same problem.

And another thing when my truck is full (38 gals) powder snow ls no issue in 2WD. Heavy enough with fuel to power through powder, but heavy wet snow or ice, forget it. And forget driving a dually for every day driving. (Towing different story.) I have had 2WD pickups and cars and no way I would go back. Life is about compromise and 4WD is worth every cent to me. I would add I live in a small city with plows so by the second day the roads are asphalt again. The weather the Montana contingent have to deal with is a no brainer. Our plow trucks are RWD dump trucks with chains and slide in sanders. When they get stuck they send out 4WD pay-loader to dig us out. And the mud you southerners have to deal with is pretty bad to. Same issue driving in mud on a North Carolina deer hunt. I would not be without 4WD.

Last edited by Mike_S; 11/25/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about....

2WD is all you need.

MCH, ummm yeah......laughing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jeezus MCH, you better go sign up for anger management before you get red flagged.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How bout no wheel drive, that any good?

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,663
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.