Home
When I arrived in Texas about 35 years ago, two things struck me as different. One was most of the people I became friends with down here (Texas Rednecks for the most part) kept handguns in their trucks. The other was most of ‘em HAD trucks.

Not often 4wd drive tho. IIRC a general consensus went you didn’t need it that often and if you did a winch could get you out.

I would guess since then 4wd has become less intrusive and more user-friendly, and on the base 2020 Tacoma the 4wd option only adds about $1,700 to the list price of the truck work almost the same fuel economy (4wd has a significantly better resale value too).

Still, around here, most pickups are still 2wd, and most are Ford F 150s.

Thoughts?

Two things demand 4WD: snow and mud.
2WD are worthless here.
If the roads iced up down that way more often I suspect you'd see more 4WDs on the road. Plus, being an urban area, I'd guess maybe one in a hundred pickups you see on the road down there are driven off asphalt more than once a year. Not that there's anything wrong with using a pickup in an urban/suburban environment...they're just plain handy, last a long time, allow great visibility, and are really comfortable rides these days. I happen to own a 2wd F150 myself, and it's my daily driver. My old GMC 4x4 is my fun truck.
The F150 will get you as good or better gas mileage and be much more roomy and capable. You can get a 36 gallon gas tank and a locking rear differential in the Ford also. The new Taco isn’t close to being the truck that earned the good reputation as indestructible go anywhere truck. 4wd is the greatest thing ever invented when you need it and the penalty for having it isn’t that much anymore. The 4wd is reliable and not the mileage killer it once was.
I am in the North Carolina mountains. It snows pretty often up here. The 2WD pickup is the worst vehicle in the snow, no weight on the drive wheels.
Up here 98 percent of pickups are 4WD. I have a 3/4 mile long, steep gravel driveway and I love my 4WD Nissan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My Texas born and bred white collar BIL has a 2wd pickup truck. His Texas born and bred rancher/builder BIL has a 4wd pickup truck.

One tows. The other doesn't.
The ones without four wheel drive just resemble pickups. Ed k
I can't remember when I have seen a 2 wd pickup
They still sell 2wd trucks?
Silly
A lot more use for 4wd than just mud and snow, you've obviously never been on a slick boat ramp or sand.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Yep. And the second one is slippery hills.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
A lot more use for 4wd than just mud and snow, you've obviously never been on a slick boat ramp or sand.

+1. There's got to be a video of a boat pulling a truck in somewhere.
4WD gets mouth-breather idiots in situations where it's difficult to steer and stop, but what do they care- - - - -they're moving! Tow truck drivers love guys with all-wheel drive- - - -they laugh all the way to the bank!
Jerry
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
4WD gets mouth-breather idiots in situations where it's difficult to steer and stop, but what do they care- - - - -they're moving! Tow truck drivers love guys with all-wheel drive- - - -they laugh all the way to the bank!
Jerry

That’s got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read!
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I can't remember when I have seen a 2 wd pickup

Here in Alaska I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a 2wd pickup. I’m sitting in the bank parking lot waiting for it to open and looking around there’s lots of pickups but no 2wd that I can spot. I do own a 2wd pickup but it’s in my mom’s garage in eastern Washington. I keep an older Ford ranger there to run around in when we’re there.
I have a two and a 4 wheel drive plus a 4 wheel drive jeep with locking differentials and a Polaris Ranger.
Around here it seems to be 10 4x4s to the 2 wd. The last 2 wd I had was over 20 years ago and that was just a beater bought for a big move, didn't keep it a year. But we get real winter and there's miles and miles of back roads that are just fine when they're dry. Add an inch of rain and its a whole other ball game.
In Wyoming, if you wanted a 2 wheel drive pickup you would have to special order it, probably wont find one on a lot. Here in Yuma, not so much, most new trucks are 2WD which surprises me because if you get off the pavement in many spots you are stuck in the sand. You have never been stuck until you have been stuck in deep sand.
Have had 3 2wd pickups here in AK

2 I imported long ago a 78 Ford and a 81 Chevy Sold them both of course

Then had a 2wd Toyo std cab, sometimes it took me 3-4 tries coming up our snowy driveway, uphill, 1/10 mile long with a 90 degree curve turning into a steeper grade, before you hit the level parking area. Yeeehaww those were the days !

4 4wd trucks these days

If you tried to give me a 2wd drive these days, you might as well ask me to raise a baby !

No thank you very much 🤦🏼‍♂️

Oh and whomever said Toyota’s are not the trucks they built their rep on is spot on ime.

Have had the 86 2wd and then in 4wd 87, 99, and 2015 versions. My old 99 is a superior truck vs the 2015, though the 2015 has more creature comforts
I'm guessing that the further north you get the more 4wd you see....... depending on the annual snowfall amounts. I seem to recall seeing more 2 wheel drive stuff in the southern U.S.. I've been driving nothing but 4wd Tacomas , ( 2 different ones ), since November 1996. Got sick of a 2wd truck in winter, and with annual ritual of getting a couple hundred pounds in the bed over the rear axle to help with traction.
Probably not much need for 4WD down there unless out swampin'.

Just back from Maui. Good Lord there are a lot of 4WD there! Why? I bet most of them never get off pavement. And there isn' a helluva lot of places one can! Obviously some sort of macho status symbol. Never saw a dirty one either. We drove a Red Mustang Convertable. For the last damned time! Scary! And hard to get into/out of.

46 and raining in Anchorage when we arrived. Wet roads/ rain on ice in places on the 150 mile drive home last night. Slush on ice in the passes. Reduced speed in 4WD with 300 lbs of sand in the back and studded tires on the wife's EL Expedition got us here - no problem!

Would have been a bit hairy with the Ram 3500 4WD, as I'm not running studs. Or much weight in the back as yet- using it for hauling stuff...

As Hot Rod alluded too, the proper way to utilize 4WD (for most of us) is to get you out of the off-road trouble 2WD got you into - not to get you in deeper, farther, before the SHTF! Boat ramps, slick hills, snow, etc.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I am in the North Carolina mountains. It snows pretty often up here. The 2WD pickup is the worst vehicle in the snow, no weight on the drive wheels.
Up here 98 percent of pickups are 4WD. I have a 3/4 mile long, steep gravel driveway and I love my 4WD Nissan.

If FWD is that great what's with the chains?

Ice is ice! TWD, AWD, FWD if you a sliding on ice you are sliding period. Chains are what gives you the traction not the type of drive. as for no weight putting sand bags in the bed is no big deal and will get you what you need. FWD has a place, but Ice isn't one of them!

I can get my TWD into about 95% of the places I hunt just fine. Add chains and I can get to 99% of the places I hunt. the remaining 1% at times even FWD you still need chains and winch.

Cost of FWD, fuel, maintenance over the life of a truck isn't worth it in the big picture. I have both FWD and TWD, I drive the TWD a hell of a lot more than the FWD. Smoother ride, less noise, less gas, and if I really need FWD its in the driveway.
We've never owned a 2wd truck. I'd rather have a car. I don't need 4wd often, but when I do need it......I REALLY need it.
Ice is ice for sure........ So is anything that won't allow much traction. That's why some inexperienced clowns get stuck because they think 4wd can go anywhere. That's when they discover that they can sit there stuck and spin all four wheels at once instead of just two. I don't use the 4wd on my Tacoma all that much but when I do it's worth its weight in gold. Have navigated some deep unplowed snow with both my 97 and 09 Tacomas with no problem in depths that I would never even think of with my old 2wd trucks no matter how much weight I had in the bed.
I carry approx 450 lbs of sand bags in the bed of my truck during winter, been doing that forever. While I try to drive around in 2 wd most of the time, I can’t count how many times I’ve not been able to even get going forward from a stop in 2wd without flipping it into 4wd. [bleep] I wouldn’t even have made it to the house today if all I had was 2 wd, had 3-4 “ of snow yesterday then it turned to slush , then it froze solid last night with temps in the teens. Whole neighborhood was solid ice ruts of frozen slush. Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere and don’t own a boat I can see owning a 2wd but anywhere else no way I’d buy a 2wd.
I am beginning to believe Flave's assessment of Texans..... 2wd and truck do not go together .... good grief
I have not been without a 4WD pickup since 1977.

not many 2wd trucks in my parts......

here's the wife's '05 Taco with new wheels & tires.....

Goodyear Ultra Terrains LT 265-75x16's

Ready for another heavy snow winter......DTD my tire store

Both my kids drive 4wd trucks. I've tried to beat the fact into their heads that although a 4wd will go virtually anywhere, they are fitted with the exact same brakes as the non 4wd models. Leave plenty of room for stopping!
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Ice is ice! TWD, AWD, FWD if you a sliding on ice you are sliding period. Chains are what gives you the traction not the type of drive. as for no weight putting sand bags in the bed is no big deal and will get you what you need. FWD has a place, but Ice isn't one of them!

I can get my TWD into about 95% of the places I hunt just fine. Add chains and I can get to 99% of the places I hunt. the remaining 1% at times even FWD you still need chains and winch.

Cost of FWD, fuel, maintenance over the life of a truck isn't worth it in the big picture. I have both FWD and TWD, I drive the TWD a hell of a lot more than the FWD. Smoother ride, less noise, less gas, and if I really need FWD its in the driveway.

Chain the front of a 4wd and see just how good they are on ice.
I've never owned a 4WD.

Like Dad always said, it just lets you get stuck further from the road.

Pay attention to what you're doing, drive with some sense, and some extra weight in the bed, and you'll do fine most of the time.

Of course, we rarely get snow here, and very little of it most of the time, so it's not needed. The most snow I've seen here is 24" at one time, and I didn't need to go anywhere anyway, for a couple of days. Good tires and common sense can do more than 4WD, if you're not stupid.
Just did an inventory on our short street. 10 trucks all 4x4
A 4x4 option isn't much money % wise, wait for the sales and they'll usually throw it in.
Plus 4x4s aren't maintenance heavy hard riding noisy pigs like they were 30 years ago. That's part of the reason you see 4x4s in the city that never leave the pavement I would think.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've never owned a 4WD.

Pay attention to what you're doing, drive with some sense, and some extra weight in the bed, and you'll do fine most of the time.

Of course, we rarely get snow here, and very little of it most of the time, so it's not needed. The most snow I've seen here is 24" at one time, and I didn't need to go anywhere anyway, for a couple of days. Good tires and common sense can do more than 4WD, if you're not stupid.

I remember seeing a cartoon in a hunting magazine in the 1970's that showed two hunters stuck in the wilderness in their 4x4 pick-up. the caption said

"The way I look at it, 4WD just allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible area"
Drove a 2WD Chevy C10 around rural NE PA for 4 years. Only had to steal pallets from the feed mill one time to get enough weight to make it up the hill to my house. As said above, good tires, and some common sense goes a long way in 2WD.

Having said that, have had 4WD here on the farm in KY for the past 26 years. Would not be without it. Considering putting a 1/4" diamond plate "bed liner" in the back of the 3/4 ton Dodge to have the extra weight without having to load it in and out, and without taking up bed space....
Common sense applies.....

I've probably used 4WD about 20-30 times in the last week.

Snow on top of greasy mud on level ground will you leave spinning in 2WD.

Originally Posted by Salty303
Just did an inventory on our short street. 10 trucks all 4x4
A 4x4 option isn't much money % wise, wait for the sales and they'll usually throw it in.
Plus 4x4s aren't maintenance heavy hard riding noisy pigs like they were 30 years ago. That's part of the reason you see 4x4s in the city that never leave the pavement I would think.

Dan, just a quick count of our street as well.

8 homes.

13 4x4 pickups.

6 AWD SUV's.

1 car but it's an old classic that rarely gets driven.

I was pulling my home made snow plow, The Snowminator. As I said, my driveway is 3/4 mile long, gravel and steep, you can't run it with 2WD in the summer, without trashing up the gravel. In the winter forget it without 4WD. Plus in a week I will be putting on studded snow tires for the winter. Studded tires rule on the ice, with 4WD. If the snow is 12 inches deep, then you need chains and the studded tires.

As for smoother ride and less noise, I don't know what you mean. My new truck is a red 2010 Frontier, 4WD of course. I just took the girlfriend on a 5,000 mile trip to Yellowstone in that truck and she couldn't get over how quiet and smooth the ride was, and how comfortable the seats. She owns a Lexus and an Acura and she says the ride in the Frontier is as good, or better than her cars.
Similar deal here Sam, one guys got a 71 Mustang another's got a 2 seater Beamer, one Mercedes sedan neither of these driven hardly. The balance would be about 8 awd SUVs.

Edit- Actually I forgot about Johnny 9 car down on the corner he's got a 2 wd T bird, about 5 vans, a Volkswagen a few others behind his fence since bi-law got after him that may be 2 wd. I don't consider them on the road though, more on the road to the crusher one of these days. LOL
2WD's do just fine in the snow..All our city plow trucks are 2WD-DRW 1-tons..

I would not own a truck that was not 4x4.
Originally Posted by logcutter
2WD's do just fine in the snow..All our city plow trucks are 2WD-DRW 1-tons..

Plows are all 2 wd here too. When you've got a front plow in front of you and a couple tons of sand/hopper on the back with the right tires you can do some damage. Turn that truck loose in a couple feet of fresh snow with no plow up front and he'll look like that picture pretty quick though.
2WD?

Seriously?!

I really want a gas engine, SRW 4x4 for the chitty days.............

Keep the diesel DRW for roads and easy traveling.

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

Yeah most trucks in Texas are 2wd. Now the concrete cowboys will have an f-250 or F-350 jacket up, out fitted with light bars and yeti stickers. That once or twice trip to the lease or ranch requires it.

By being lifted, it’s easier to fill the corn feeders. lol
Time was all we had was 2wds and they worked just fine , hauling stuff to and fro , up & down the highways , byways & backroads.

Nowadays folks gotta have 4wd just to leave the house.

Says more about these modern day no-driving-fuddermucks than it does about the pickup trucks.

Mike
Plows are all 2 wd here too.

And most all of our UPS trucks are 2WD and deliver to backcountry towns like Elk City and Dixie..School buses are all 2WD/delivery trucks etc..Ilived in McCall Idaho for like 40 years and regularly had ro shovel out my windows for light but the kicker in this snow retreat is atleast half the town of locals drove 2WD trucks and cars...Most of the Alaska State troopers on TV are 2WD and they run down the bad guys in 4WD..Laughing..

Logging trucks are basically 2WD with an option to lock in another axle which id 2WD..They go in unbelievable places and haul out heavy loads on snow/ice and mud..To be fair,most have lockers and lock in that other axle but nothing up front pulling,it's all pushing..Most all the old road graders are 2WD but some new one can have AWD...

How in the world did they ever get by before 4WD was invented...But they did..
Not a real truck if no 4wd.
To each their own, but I would curl up and die if I couldn't have 4WD, even though I use it less than 1% of the time, even while out hunting.

When you need it, you need it. I don't buy that it'll only get me stuck further from help. I've used it way too many times to get out of a slimy area that I drove into early when the road was frozen, and came out after the sun came out and melted everything...among many other situations.

Getting out to put chains on to make it through a 10 yard long mud hole just doesn't make sense to me when I can just flip a switch instead. It does cost more and require more maintenance, but I am more than willing to take that trade off.
This is not 4WD..(laughing) but it is kool..[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Someone mentioned Flave. Did he become a monk or WTF.

sand
Dragging a horse trailer around this summer I was quite happy to have 4WD.

Hills can be a bitch if/when you spin out.

That applies here too.
It seldom snows enough that a 4X4 is truly needed, and the majority of trucks are driven by people who seldom go offroad.
South Texas and most of Texas simply doesn’t need 4x4. One reason is unless you own land you aren’t off roading. And even if you do there isn’t that far to go. And it almost never snows. Here we have millions of square miles of public land. Hard winters etc, the new truck dealers don’t sell 2wd here. You would have to special order it
Originally Posted by Snyper

That applies here too.
It seldom snows enough that a 4X4 is truly needed, and the majority of trucks are driven by people who seldom go offroad.

Same here. But personally I wouldn’t own a pickup that wasn’t 4-wheel drive.
2WD if 'ya know how to use it...

Growing up in the snowy North East everyone had at least one 4x4 Jeep, when I moved west for my wife job I stopped in a SoCal Jeep dealer to look for a used Jeep. Everything they used Jeep they had was 2 wheel drive what a waste.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
To each their own, but I would curl up and die if I couldn't have 4WD, even though I use it less than 1% of the time, even while out hunting.

When you need it, you need it. I don't buy that it'll only get me stuck further from help. I've used it way too many times to get out of a slimy area that I drove into early when the road was frozen, and came out after the sun came out and melted everything...among many other situations.

Getting out to put chains on to make it through a 10 yard long mud hole just doesn't make sense to me when I can just flip a switch instead. It does cost more and require more maintenance, but I am more than willing to take that trade off.

This exact thing happened to me today...glad I didn't have to do any stupid chit to make it out of the hunting spot. Threw it in 4, cruised on until met pavement. Funny how some people scratch and claw to fight against progress...

This would have sucked in 2WD...

Also, going up rocky mountains in 2WD is extremely hard. 4 just crawls up...
Put studded snow tires on the back of a 2WD F150,....load it down with 500 lbs of sandbags in the bed, and snow is no problem.

Copious quantities of mud might be a different situation.
2wd = gay., add sand = gayer....4 wd = a working skinny man want ta b with sand kicked in his face...2wd with a locker and no gay jazz sandbags = MAN !
I'm beginning to wonder why they make 4 wheel drive pickups.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
2wd = gay., add sand = gayer....4 wd = a working skinny man want ta b with sand kicked in his face...2wd with a locker and no gay jazz sandbags = MAN !

Not everybody is a fuggin hermit that feels the need to live at the North Pole.
F..it..... north poles south = gay...
[img]https://images.guru/i/1fWLd[/img] like this ...men .! 70 mile back home after I got this 60buck load of 2500 lbs of coal..just a hour ago, ice snow and drizzle on the way to the mine and back ...time to man up
Oh yea... dam I need to get my helper springs back on ! Little over a beer can to the ball ..lol, every 3 weeks I go do the same thing ....
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Jerry

Ditto.
What’s the matter, wife won’t let you buy a 4 wd truck because it’s too expensive?
laughing
Around here there's a sliver of flat country where people live. Other than that we're talking forestry roads they're pretty good though, they don't build anything steeper than 25%. Hell ya you can get a long ways still in a 2 wd the roads are made out of blasted rock so traction is great albeit rougher than hell. Yup, you can go a long ways in 2 wd, as you tear up the rear tires beat the crap out of your rear end and drive line. Work the hell out of the suspension for the chatter and wheel hop. Or you can pop it in 4 low and idle up.

AFA school busses and delivery trucks getting around in 2 wheel drive in winter, same here. But they're driving on well maintained roads and the plows are going steady in a snow fall. But still it seems about 10 times a year these days the schools call snow days and close and half the rest of the economy follows suit.
Salty, I just drove from hope to Ak, what's with them time zones in the western half of bc,hoser land ...

It most certainly is when you lock the power divider.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Chevy didn't offer a 4X4 truck until 1960...So how did everyone get by previously, without them?..I do realize people like yourself need them for work as well as loggers to get to the job site,but not everyone has to have a 4X4....I know it's the Kool Factor but you can hunt /fish /camp or just drive around in the hills without having to have a 4X4....

I see more 4X4 rigs in the ditch than any 2WD or AWD..Why,because everyone thinks a 4X4 is unstoppable and unwreckable..lol
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Salty, I just drove from hope to Ak, what's with them time zones in the western half of bc,hoser land ...

Yeah its a little weird there's two time zones depending on where you are in BC. They used the crest of the Rocky mountains as the boundary so even though you're driving pretty much straight north as you cross the Pine Pass north of Prince George you're through the Rockys and leave the Pacific time zone and you're in Mountain time zone. There's a bit of it in the very south east of BC too. It don't bother me much I don't go out east much. lol

Chevy didn't offer a 4X4 truck until 1960...So how did everyone get by previously, without them?..I do realize people like yourself need them for work as well as loggers to get to the job site,but not everyone has to have a 4X4....I know it's the Kool Factor but you can hunt /fish /camp or just drive around in the hills without having to have a 4X4....

I see more 4X4 rigs in the ditch than any 2WD or AWD..Why,because everyone thinks a 4X4 is unstoppable and unwreckable..lol

Crap and I thought it was to save the young guys the long walk back to get the tractor to pull that 2wd out 🤷🏻‍♂️
Randy, only thing more lame than a 2 wheel drive pickup is a 2WD tractor!

Chevy didn't offer a 4X4 truck until 1960...So how did everyone get by previously, without them?..

It was nothing to be 'snowed in' for several days when I was a kid in the 60s. Hell it'd only been 50 years since there were any roads. Everything shuts down for a few days.. meh, no biggy. Society has changed business wants zero down time and the consumer expects what they want when they want it today. Everyone wanting to have a 4x4 so they can go pretty much anywhere anytime is only a small symptom. And, theres a lot of guys that do need to go anywhere anytime to make their living. And you don't need to ride in a back breaking gear jammer like in the 60s, you can't tell the difference in the ride between a 2x or a 4x today.
And you know what the funny part is,most 4X4 labled vehicles are really only 2WD..One in the rear and one in the front with power to them unless you have limited slip/lockers or something like the Tru trac..Take a 2WD dually truck with lockers in the rear,that puppy is a 4WD truck with power to all four wheels in the rear...
The stupid is strong in this thread...... how about low range? 2wd doesn't have low range.... 2wd is useless.
throw a 500 lb of concrete block over the axle makes all the difference in a 2wd. course gas mileage goes to schit
Randy, only thing more lame than a 2 wheel drive pickup is a 2WD tractor!

Yep Sam to each their own

Some guys got no use for women 🤷🏻‍♂️

They got the same hand they been using since twelve
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by stxhunter

LOL. Ya know some Meskin would make a low rider outta one too ! 😜
Originally Posted by rem141r
throw a 500 lb of concrete block over the axle makes all the difference in a 2wd. course gas mileage goes to schit

Ditto..I had about 1/2 cord of wood in my old F-250 2WD this day with V-Bar chains..Pulled two 4X4's out of the ditch where they slid without chains..It was like a tank with the weight over the axle and the V-Bar chains...

Jerry

Jerry

+1....bob
I doubt most dealerships here even stock 2wd trucks.

by these statements ...its easy to see that you have no clue ….and you hunt in maintained pull offs …..bob
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

+1.....bob
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've never owned a 4WD.

my dad used to say some stupid things sometimes too...….bob

My gawd Martha would you look at that ! Some ufo has about eat Jim Bobs truck right up 😳
But what about winter driving? Isn’t 4WD safer on snow and ice?

No, it isn’t. The sole advantage of 4WD is, when paired with suitable tires, an increased ability to extricate the vehicle from low-traction situations. This means an improved ability to get moving in mud, slush, snow, and similar wet/dry situations. 4WD will not help you stop any sooner than 2WD in a vehicle matched by road conditions, speed, mass, tire size and tread, and brake quality. Every 4-wheeled vehicle on the road already has 4-wheel braking, and ABS will already do more to stop you than you ever could. Similarly, 4WD will not help you steer; every 4-wheeled vehicle already has 2-wheel steering, and ESC will do more to keep you heading in your intended direction than anything you could ever imagine; that’s what makes it life-saving technology.
The main reason I have a 4WD F150 is it's towable 4 down behind the MH.
Trying to pull 6k pounds up a greasy boat ramp convinced me of the worth of 4wd.

I wouldn’t buy a 2wd truck unless it was nothing more than a highway hauler.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I wouldn’t buy a 2wd truck unless it was nothing more than a highway hauler.

Exactly.

That or a hot rod.
If all trucks came standard with some common sense it would matter as much what options you choose.
I have one of each. I drive the 2WD more.
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I have one of each. I drive the 2WD more.

I have both also and the 4X4 stays parked way more..I have a love affair going on with my 2WD Dually..One of the funnest trucks to drive to date for me..

again.........Utah = 4wd country..........badd azz Dodge...

The (obvious) issue with 2WD is that as soon as the front tires start pushing you are pretty much done.
I can't remember the last 2 WD truck I saw here. Most that we see are from Sacramento and the Bay Area...tourists.

We have five vehicles sitting out front, all are 4X4.
Do ya think a Prius with chains would make it through the Rubicon trail? Askin for a friend
Do ya think a Prius with chains would make it through the Rubicon trail? Askin for a friend

maybe if mch was driving it....bob
The run near Lake Tahoe?? I don't think it would get 100 yards there.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

depends who was driving it...….some guys on this thread seem capable.....bob
OP if you live in San Antonio it’s not surprising to see more 2wd than 4wd, it’s a large city. In my locale, and I think in most of rural Texas, it’s more like 1:1 ratio.

I agree that there’s very little reason not to buy 4wd anymore

Yamaha 700 Grizzly 4WD(lockers)

Polaris Ranger 900 XP 4WD(lockers)

Ford Explorer AWD(used on maintained roads)

Ford F350 4WD(limited slip, wish it had rear lockers)

John Deere 7610 MFWD(locking rear axle)

Toro zero turn mower 2WD(no lockers)
Originally Posted by BobMt

OK... wink

OK... wink

you must realize those comments where pulled out of my a$$…...that's why I said ….some guys on this thread seem capable......I jeeped quite a bit in az......bob

Two vehicles out front and mine in the garage. Daughter's Explorer...4x4, Mama's Mountaineer...AWD, my Sierra...4x4.

current two Taco trucks

Times change. Dad was the first in our rural NW Missouri neighborhood to own a pickup, in 1950. 2wd GMC 1/2 ton. He was the most popular guy around, frequently asked to haul something for the neighbors. 1st 4wd pickup I ever saw was a '64 Ford F-250.

Dad never owned a 4wd. But in the mid 70's he bought a second pickup, and one could stay chained up if needed to feed and check cows with. A heated cab was a luxury-before that it was open station tractor to haul small hay bales.

OK... wink

you must realize those comments where pulled out of my a$$…...that's why I said ….some guys on this thread seem capable......I jeeped quite a bit in az......bob

LOL...was just jabbing in fun. This is near the start of the trail. I had a boss years ago who owned the body shop I managed. He and his SIL were crazy Jeepers and did the Rubicon every year. After the run we had both their rigs in the shop for a lot of straightening everything. shocked

then ole sleepy...........

'02 Chev w/121K on 'er

Originally Posted by Mannlicher

It is probably essential in Florida huh?

I had a 4wd Suburban and it was awesome, could do some interesting things with it size considering. My current ride is 2wd and have taken it some places I probably shouldn't. I'm in the market for a new truck and my wife is really pushing for 4wd.

luv2.....I knew you had to know I was joking......some of the comments and thinking on this thread......make you shake your head......bob
2 dodge 4x4s
toyota 4x4
mercedes gl550 4x4
I didn’t know they made 2wheel drive trucks anymore!!!
Iowa, it does snow here but I have a 2 wheel drive F150. I see no reason for a 4 wheel drive. I load the back up with chunked up wood and a maybe a couple of sand bags and I'm good to go. If the snow is so deep I can't get through with what I have, I don't leave the house until I can.

kwg
Hell, half the people on this site now days have never even seen a pickup that wasn't driven by a government employee.

Let me see,
Without the power divider locked, it could be 2 or 4,
Locked, at least 4, if the conditions are similar side to side, 8.
Properly speced as a vocational truck, with a divider lock,
And axel lock, its a solid 8.

You have more faith than I.

Bullshit is slick,
too slick for 2wd.
The only thing around here 2wd is the John Deere lawnmower.
We get some snow 'round here and I plow roads and driveways for beer money..Funny thing is,the grocery store parking lot is full of 2WD soccer mom vans getting groceries and the big bad 4X4's are parked at home with hung-over hubby..LOL..Seems Momma could teach Daddy some tricks in getting around in a 2WD..

Minivan with top chopped off?
2wd pickup.

BHWHAHAHA.... Zero turn with No Lockers !!!

City slickers who don’t spend most thier time off road, off gravel - don’t need 4x4’s...

Less people know how to drive in mud than they do snow smile.
I own 3 pickups, all of them 4WD. Rarely ever have to use 4WD, but it's there if I do, and on a farm, you'll need it sooner or later. It's the same way with carrying a handgun.......it's there if you need it.
Road to the grocery store..

I own 2-4X4's that just sit most of the time..The mini van gets by far the most use and has absolutely no trouble getting around in the snow...My 2WD DRW also has no problem in the snow..The catch is,both have great tires on them with the DRW aggressively siped..

You don't have to have a 4X4 to get around in the snow or mud but I admit,they are fun to get stuck in...
Road to the grocery store..

I own 2-4X4's that just sit most of the time..The mini van gets by far the most use and has absolutely no trouble getting around in the snow...My 2WD DRW also has no problem in the snow..The catch is,both have great tires on them with the DRW aggressively siped..

You don't have to have a 4X4 to get around in the snow or mud but I admit,they are fun to get stuck in...

so you are saying 2wd is better than 4wd.....then why do you have 2 4wd?.....bob

I have a Tacoma 4X4 off road with the E-locker... and use it like it’s a quad runner while other full size 4x4’s stay on the gravel.

I have chains, and a 9,000 lb warn winch on a top plate so I can move it to the front to the rear, and keep good AT KO tires on it.
So far I’ve never had to use the winch or chains but the locker has seen it’s due.
so you are saying 2wd is better than 4wd.....then why do you have 2 4wd?.....bob

Not saying that at all,Bob..I am saying that a 2WD will work just fine in snow/mud and the mountains if 'ya know how to drive it..Around McCall Idaho you learn to drive in the snow or move..People that say 2WD's are worthless in the snow,have no clue how to drive in the snow then.

As to my two 4X4's..Dakota 4X4and Nissan 4X4..They are my close to town wood getters..Put a cable on a log and put it 4X4 and drag that log down the mountain..I use them both for skidders...

This is my Beater..Don't care if I bang this one up but it makes a great log skidder..

I know it's the Kool Factor but you can hunt /fish /camp or just drive around in the hills without having to have a 4X4....

Until it rains.

The mini van gets by far the most use and has absolutely no trouble getting around in the snow...

How much snow?

And does the wind blow when it snows there?
'Bout this much Sam...Why does rain stop a 2WD again?

I almost forgot for old RanchO,his favorite photo...Laughing

Sam,watch this video..They are all done in 2WD by people that can do it...Mud does not stop a 2WD either if you know how to drive in mud..

Let me rephrase it for you.

How much snow can you drive through in your mini van without spinning out and getting stuck?

We have dirt here that becomes extremely greasy when wet. It's called gumbo and believe it or not 4WD does way better(than 2WD) when dealing with it.
Let me rephrase it for you.

How much snow can you drive through in your mini van without spinning out and getting stuck?

We have dirt here that becomes extremely greasy when wet. It's called gumbo and believe it or not 4WD does way better(than 2WD) when dealing with it.

The mini van doesn't do well in deep snow for obvious reasons,clearance,but my 2WD DRW 1-ton can do it up to the bumper as my other truck pictured did or better said,just as deep as your 4X4 pictured..

Logcutter continues to amaze....

Thank you....LOL
Logcutter, does DRW mean Drive Rear Wheel?

so I watched over half of that video….what did that prove....that you can beat the crap out of a 2wd...where a 4wd would go so much easier..

that video actually proved our point...….you have to be very aggressive in 2wd to try to come close to 4wd......bob

Thank you....LOL

Doubly so.

It means..Dual Rear Wheels
Dually, got it.

Thanks

It means..Dual Rear Wheels

are you now saying a dually is as good in snow...and on ice as a single ….bob
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
2WD are worthless here.

Yep. I wouldn't be without 4 WD. We're starting to shop for my wife's next vehicle, as her old Grand Caravan is getting pretty tired, and we're moving farthe north here shortly. Gotta do 4 WD.

The mini van doesn't do well in deep snow for obvious reasons,clearance,but my 2WD DRW 1-ton can do it up to the bumper as my other truck pictured did or better said,just as deep as your 4X4 pictured..

You are driving through mountain fluff.

Try some hard pack drifts and get back to me.
The 2 wheel's run a lot cheaper, but I'd hate to without an all wheel drive car here.

You are driving through mountain fluff.

Try some hard pack drifts and get back to me.

plus it looks deeper than it is....cause that truck has been lowered...….bob
Three thing jump out from that video.

Almost every vehicle in that video is a 4wd.
And they are beating the crap out of them to prove something.

People think 4wd is absolutely a must if you
leave pavement. The opposite has been known for decades.

Four wheel drive is much better off road.

My first car was a 67 Impala, 3 speed, 283, posi.
I drove that thing everywhere, the exhaust got ripped
for often. All season tires, it went through the snow with no trouble.

But, you needed momentum, you had to feather the throttle, and
lug the engine. You had to be very careful of where you parked or stopped.

There used to be a big market here for 2wd work trucks.
Bosses bought them for employees, cheaper to buy, run, maintain.
Bosses weren't there in a snowstorm when you were stuck in a parking lot.
Or someone's yard. Or, stopped on an unplowed hill, and cant get going.
That market is gone. Most finally got tired of the hassels.

Used 2wd here is seriously devalued.

But, I honestly go to 2wd in the snow as soon as I get on the road, moving.
A little slipping curbs my heavy foot, and I have more control
in a skid with free turning steers.
I bought a Dually to carry my truck camper back in the hills..I wanted stability on side hills because truck campers are heavy and tall..Yes,I wanted a 4X4 but people with older 4X4's think there trucks are made out of gold..Or if it's a diesel,there worn out already with very high miles...So I found a great truck but it was 2WD but taken care of immaculately...For the price I couldn't pass even as a 2WD knowing it will work just fine in the snow/mud and weather if I do my part..

So I bought this 2WD..Plenty of ground clearance and only 10ft to the to of the ladder rack..Haven't stuck her yet but I do carry V-Bar chains and a rear locker is on my Christmas list..

Nuttin like the fire for a little fun and harassment...(laughing)

they may be 4wd....but they are not using it....2wd nationals or whatever....that's the point ..they are trashing the truck.....to go where 4wd would be a lot easier...bob
When I moved to Texas I had my truck plugged in once (battery was getting old). The neighbor was kinda wondering what I was doing. I said it was a Chevy Volt.😂

The last pickup I had in Texas was a Nissan Frontier. 2wd. That’s all I needed. I didn’t pull anything or haul anything anymore. When I moved back to ND I traded it post haste for a Z71.

they may be 4wd....but they are not using it....2wd nationals or whatever....that's the point ..they are trashing the truck.....to go where 4wd would be a lot easier...bob

I guess the point is,a 2WD can work in those circumstances we sometimes get into back in the hills..Also the point,not everyone needs a 4X4 for things like Sam does...So everyone has to decide for there selves if the extra maintenance/extra cost and extra lack of fuel mileage is worth buying a 4X4 they rarely use when a 2WD will do atleast,99% of it.

Not knocking 4X4's at all, just saying a 2WD can handle way more than it is given credit for.

Some folks never so much as park in a grassy field.

Ha Ha..I ain't brown...LOL

And the truck ain't been lowered...It actaully has more clearance than my sons Chevy 2500 HD 4X4..

I had to drive the front up on a badger hole to get out the door...

Good looking rig LC.

I guess the point is,a 2WD can work in those circumstances we sometimes get into back in the hills..Also the point,not everyone needs a 4X4 for things like Sam does...So everyone has to decide for there selves if the extra maintenance/extra cost and extra lack of fuel mileage is worth buying a 4X4 they rarely use when a 2WD will do atleast,99% of it.

Not knocking 4X4's at all, just saying a 2WD can handle way more than it is given credit for.

My 2017 F-150 4WD four door, with a 5.0 averages 19 MPG, and that's including short and long trips. My wife has a 2017 Explorer 2WD that only gets about 24MPG, so I figure I'm doing pretty good. I've only owned one 4WD pickup that had issues with the 4WD, and that was a 1979 one. The last 3 Fords I've had with 4WD have not had to have any extra maintenance done to them because they were 4WD. in this age of the technology we have, 4WD pickups are pretty much equal to the 2WD's.

Ha Ha..I ain't brown...LOL

And the truck ain't been lowered...It actaully has more clearance than my sons Chevy 2500 HD 4X4..

I had to drive the front up on a badger hole to get out the door...

that was just a jab at you....ha...….I will say you are one hard headed guy....have a good one.....bob
Uh yeah, minivans have front wheel drive. They do fine in snow most of the time.

Rear wheel 2WD pickups are the squirrliest vehicles on the road . Worthless.
A 2wd is just a highway hauler, not that those can’t have their place. We get no snow down here, so they are fine for road duty. Same goes for 2wd vs Awd cars. Few Awd here. But... nearly every outdoorsman has and needs 4x4. Land is often unforgiving off the blacktop. Ideally, a guy has a winch and two sets of wheels/tires, being ATs for warm weather and mud tires for the rest.
In warm weather areas, 4wd probably not really needed very often so that makes total sense.
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Good looking rig LC.

Thanks..Sorry I sold that one and just a couple years ago..I had replaced or rebuilt everything from stem to stern on that one..Woulda headed out to the Arizona desert without hesitation, to get out of this nasty weather..

Loved that truck and 2WD to boot..LOL

I use the bed of my truck regularly, so I need the truck. I can't think of a situation I have encountered in the past 15 where 4WD was warranted.
that was just a jab at you....ha...….I will say you are one hard headed guy....have a good one.....bob

All in fun Bob..All a guy has to do is argue .270 Winchester or 2WD on the fire and you get all sorts of poor sports that take it to heart..LOL..It is the internet and mine is better or bigger than yours..Laughing
Jayco's got it right.

Them that think a 2wd isn't a "real truck" are silly.

To be fair, I don't plan on ever having another 2wd pickup, but for several years that's all I had. I still have her and use her. If you know how to drive, and yes use chains, a 2wd pickup can go a lot further and do a lot of things that would amaze many.
i've run two wheel drives down the island a few times, but make one mistake and you're f-ucked. biggest most make in sand is trying to gun it to get out, all you do is bury down to the axle. Drop it in low gear and gently get on the throttle.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Jayco's got it right.

To be fair, I don't plan on ever having another 2wd pickup, but for several years that's all I had. I still have her and use her. If you know how to drive, and yes use chains, a 2wd pickup can go a lot further and do a lot of things that would amaze many.

Good to hear, seems like there’s a steady supply of used low mileage base 2wd Tacos around here, prob’ly do 99% of what I would use it for, and patience and a winch could cover much of that last 1%

The last 4x4 I had was a used 70-something Dodge truck, w/locking hubs, gas V8, mileage in the mid to low teens. Sold it in Grad school, got into motorcycles which can be a year-round proposition down here. Better mileage.
i've run two wheel drives down the island a few times, but make one mistake and you're f-ucked. biggest most make in sand is trying to gun it to get out, all you do is bury down to the axle. Drop it in low gear and gently get on the throttle.

Rog, how big a problem is the salt on the beach? Not just the body but the runner by gear. Your vehicles seem in pretty good shape.
[
Jerry
Dunno - maybe I fit the mouth breather category - but I've been using our 4wd Dodge with Cummins for 20 years in the high country, and we live remote where muddy/icy/deep snow roads are common every winter, and at times the mud gets deep again during the summer rains. Years in and out we have NEVER needed any sort of tow, and have pulled many other folks down the roads, back onto roads and out of ditches. I owned a tow truck myself then and never got it out of the garage. When it's 75 miles to the grocery store or hospital on icy 2 lane and/or snow deep roads a big 4wd truck is a blessing - never once got us into trouble but certainly spared us a bunch.

This thread has once again reminded me about general perceptions regarding "pickup trucks" - some seem to think a cab with bed behind it makes it a real "truck". Today, many are cars with a bed back there. IMHO, a truck is not that.

Somehow people pretty much still traveled in bad road conditions going about their daily jobs, errands and hobbies in 2 wheel rear drive vehicles long before 4X4 and now AWD vehicles became so common.

One thing I've encountered regarding losing traction with the 2 wheel drive pickup trucks I've owned was backing up even on slight uphill grades on wet and ice/snow slick pavement, loose gravel and green grass could be difficult sometimes. The worst was a late '80s base model Toyota standard bed 2 wheel drive pickup with factory original 14" wheels.

Front wheel drive works fairly well much of the time but not in all bad road conditions. After successfully plowing through a few so-so loose, powdery snow drifts driving home from work late one night I tried to pull it off again but this drift turned out to be a little deeper and longer than the previous ones. About 1/2 way through my front wheel drive vehicle high-centered lifting the front wheels up too far to get any forward or backward traction.

A neighbor friend drove up soon in his full size 2 wheel dive truck but didn't have a strap long enough to pull me back out and we both needed to go forward to get to our homes. He said a coworker of his with a 4X4 full size Blazer would be coming along in a few minutes and he would help us. The guy with the Blazer showed up, drove out into a bare crop field and around the entire drift, backed up into the drift far enough to hook on to my vehicle and pulled me the rest of the way through, then my neighbor friend in his 2 wheel drive truck drove through the drift where my vehicle had plowed a path from being pulled.

I've tried to keep a 4 wheel drive vehicle of one kind or another most of the time since.
I don't remember seeing a 2WD pick-up around here, or a regular cab either for that matter. I doubt you could find a buyer for a 2WD pickup.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Rog, how big a problem is the salt on the beach? Not just the body but the runner by gear. Your vehicles seem in pretty good shape.

had mine undercoated.
The mini van gets by far the most use and has absolutely no trouble getting around in the snow...

This chit is still funny!

Just came across this really great vid......

Funny, hearing the bragging about what a 2wd can do.

I have had a Subaru wagon or three for the last 13 years.
There is a vehicle that has impressed me.
Hauling 10' pipe, or lumber? A few sticks fit fine. Inside.
20 odd buckets of coal? No problem.

And yes, I have a 3/4 ton 4wd diesel.
The Subaru just works better for some smaller things.
The coal has to be carried in the basement by buckets.
It easier to fill them at the yard, than crawling in and out of the truck.

Daughter was driving the other day, we stopped on a real steep
gravel road. She just pressed the gas and we went. No drama.
Told here she would have never done that with rear wheel drive.
Front wheel world have been challenged.

And old rwd car, we would have backed down the hill.
Would have made it work.
Awd was much easier.
Sam:
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, I trust that other than being hopelessly stuck in the wilderness with that fine looking canine companion that all else is well with you and yours.

Honestly I really should stay out of some of these threads, but since I'm typing at present, it appears that I haven't.

As a semi-old guy, I can recall the first 4x4 pickups that we saw on the Saskatchewan prairies and how they were immediately seen as a viable and useful option.

I should note that we were already running Versatile tractors - ours had a 555 Cummins if memory serves - anyway Sam, it didn't take very long at all to see what a 4WD tractor could do as opposed to the 2WD - in mud, clay or snow.

Indeed when chained up, a 2WD can work okay. As you and most 'Fire folks know, I live in rural BC and we get some snow from time to time as well as not having the luxury of level roads.... I've not yet met Salty303 - open invite extended here for sure - BUT - I have passed through the town he lives in/near at least 2 times a year for the past 35 years and sometimes monthly.

Without chains, the transport trucks are not allowed on some passes - when the sign is flashing, one chains up or faces fines - and most likely doesn't move from there.

Since I've not yet transferred the photo of my driveway plowing tractor to Rick's photo thingy, I'll not insert it here - but as you know just to plow our drive - maybe 110 yards long, but with a vertical drop of 80 feet or so - I use a 4x4 tractor chained up on all four....

Folks have said that the vehicles they see in the ditch are predominantly either AWD or 4X4 and that again makes statistical sense really. The reason I say that is - again as you know - I work at a local Big 3 auto dealer and by far we sell more trucks than anything else. The anything else more often and not is an AWD SUV too Sam - so since they make up likely 80% of the vehicles on rural BC roads, it does indeed stand to reason that one will see more of them in the ditch.

I will note we see very few Harley's in the ditch in winter or Lamborghini's either. Should we then extrapolate they're better on icy roads? wink

On your video of the stuck, I can vividly recall getting bogged down on a pool table flat dirt road in Saskatchewan after a rain storm - with my '80 Toyota 4X4. You and other folks who've experienced gumbo will appreciate that the foot prints I made back to the graveled road looked like I had snow shoes on Sam!

The sun came out, the dirt road dried up and 3 hours later I drove away in 2WD - after I'd picked the clay out of the fender wells first naturally. laugh

Anyway, it's likely the coffee talking for me here and I shouldn't have even trod down the path, but anyway as always there's many roads to Mecca and some of 'em might not need 4X4 I suppose, eh?

All the best to you and yours as we head into winter Sam - and good luck with your John Deere issue too for sure.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Honestly I really should stay out of some of these threads, but since I'm typing at present, it appears that I haven't.

Dwayne, it's sometimes just too hard to resist!

laughing

All good here, warm and windy. Our little bit of snow is gone.

Back to the grease issue..

We have 4 pair of strays left out in the hills. Could have gone this afternoon but it's way too warm so we'll wait and sneak out on the frost maybe early tomorrow or Tuesday.

There is a weather station about 5 miles away from the corral and holding pasture so that is REALLY handy when dealing with frozen and thawing road conditions. It's all gravel except for the last mile but that last mile could be a real greasy mess. Mini vans aside, even with a 4x4 pickup a guy might not have any luck pulling a stock trailer. Just the the way it is!
Birdy must not get out of downtown SA very often. Out here in the oil patch 4wd outnumbers 2wd 10:1......lots of sand to deal with, as Rogers stated.

Holy hell batman I thought that poor two duble-ya D was done for till next spring! Thank god you weren't drunk when you bought that truck and made the wise decision to opt for another differential on that thing. Or maybe you were drunk, but still thinking. And lets face it a mini van just can't quite pull off two round bails so unfortunately its out.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
I've not yet met Salty303 - open invite extended here for sure - BUT - I have passed through the town he lives in/near at least 2 times a year for the past 35 years and sometimes monthly.

Without chains, the transport trucks are not allowed on some passes - when the sign is flashing, one chains up or faces fines - and most likely doesn't move from there.

Ah yes that lovely stretch of road just up from the snow shed affectionally known to truckers and locals as The Smasher. A long relentless grade where 8 foot snow packs are not out of the ordinary at all. White hell, wind, snow sideways semis jack knifed, trying to creep around them (I'd be in 2 wd if I was that good but I'm a mere mortal so I click in to 4 high). Man my fingers just got all clenched up and my knuckles white just thinking about it. What a total miserable piece of real estate that thing is, no good comes from The Smasher. Well, maybe on a nice day. And good for you Dwayne as you've still got another pass or 2 to deal with to get home! I bet you've become real good at reading weather forecasts..

Back at you sir, we should hook up for a cuppa some time. Tell a few lies, maybe solve a problem or two. cheers.

Dan
Jayco's got it right.

Good to hear, seems like there’s a steady supply of used low mileage base 2wd Tacos around here, prob’ly do 99% of what I would use it for, and patience and a winch could cover much of that last 1%

The last 4x4 I had was a used 70-something Dodge truck, w/locking hubs, gas V8, mileage in the mid to low teens. Sold it in Grad school, got into motorcycles which can be a year-round proposition down here. Better mileage.

When in the sand of SE Arizona, I kept a couple chunks of 1/4" plywood in the bed. If you get in a bind, are not retarded, and have the factory scissor jack you can get yourself into and out of a lotta places. I'd be called a liar by some if I posted some of the places I've taken my old 92 "gasp" regular cab longbed 2wd.
When I arrived in Texas about 35 years ago, two things struck me as different. One was most of the people I became friends with down here (Texas Rednecks for the most part) kept handguns in their trucks. The other was most of ‘em HAD trucks.

Not often 4wd drive tho. IIRC a general consensus went you didn’t need it that often and if you did a winch could get you out.

I would guess since then 4wd has become less intrusive and more user-friendly, and on the base 2020 Tacoma the 4wd option only adds about $1,700 to the list price of the truck work almost the same fuel economy (4wd has a significantly better resale value too).

Thoughts?

I'll never own a non 4wd vehicle but its just because of what we do with them. I can see uses for 2wd. I just have none.
sam that's t f f
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
South Texas and most of Texas simply doesn’t need 4x4.t

Really? Please share your vast experience in South Texas with us.

fwiw - I covered four ranches last week, and only used 4wd every day in a 3/4 ton, mostly crawling through and over thorn brush, sand, and creeks with sandy slopes. Shot four pigs and one cull deer too using NF in case it matters.

btw - thanks to Sam O for the recommendation on Hankooks. No flats despite pulling thorns out of sidewalls and treads.

Jayco's got it right.

When in the sand of SE Arizona, I kept a couple chunks of 1/4" plywood in the bed. If you get in a bind, are not retarded, and have the factory scissor jack you can get yourself into and out of a lotta places. I'd be called a liar by some if I posted some of the places I've taken my old 92 "gasp" regular cab longbed 2wd.

but you will never buy another 2wd......that is the important part......if someone ...birdman.....is starting out the cost and maintenance is not as overwhelming as some make it out to be......bob
Funny, the talk of mud, snow, ice...

The worst, and by far the most embarrassing thing for sticking
someone on a hill is,....

Wet grass.

Not a damp yard, although that can happen, but
Try pulling an empty hay wagon in foot high grass up a steep hill.
The dam grass lays down and keeps the tires from biting the dirt.
Add some moisture, the grass adds more, and you can't go anywhere.
I'm sure some of our hill farmer members are laughing.

Have often seen 2wd vehicles go in a field and down a hill, then cant get out.
We have a field on our property I avoid in my truck if it's at all wet.
One way in, one way out, in grass.
I got stuck in there with a jag of wood, on about 2 inches of snow,
hadn't been mowed that fall. No cell service, was going to be a hike out.
We made it, but with 4wd, I looked like those 2wd videos.

Some, it seems
Think it would have been better to have 2wd.
Jayco's got it right.

but you will never buy another 2wd......that is the important part......if someone ...birdman.....is starting out the cost and maintenance is not as overwhelming as some make it out to be......bob

Yes, thanks for catching that point. 4x4 is way more handier, and way better in a lot of situations. My only point was that a guy doesn't need to let his lack thereof keep him to dry, level pavement. To read most of this thread, my God I can't imagine how anybody ever went ANYWHERE without it. smile

billy goat....I happen to agree with you ….bob
I'm kinda nervous waiting on Logcutter's response......
Must be out on the Rubicon trail with his mini van
I grew up when there wasn't any 4X4's produced by any of the major manufacturers...You learn how to deal with the elements and 2WD trucks...We still went hunting back in the backcountry,pulled our horses to the end of the road and got back out in snow storms...None of it in 4X4 trucks because they weren't offered then...They only existed as home brewed modified trucks....None by any of the car manufacturers.....

I sure like my 4X4's but I don't have to have one to go anywhere back in the mountains because 2WD works just fine in 99.9% of the cases but if your too lazy to chain up,you should have stayed home..
I grew up when there wasn't any 4X4's produced by any of the major manufacturers...You learn how to deal with the elements and 2WD trucks...We still went hunting back in the backcountry,pulled our horses to the end of the road and got back out in snow storms...None of it in 4X4 trucks because they weren't offered then...They only existed as home brewed modified trucks....None by any of the car manufacturers.....

I sure like my 4X4's but I don't have to have one to go anywhere back in the mountains because 2WD works just fine in 99.9% of the cases but if your too lazy to chain up,you should have stayed home..

and here I thought we where making some headway with you...…..bob

To what,I've been taking off my camper and covering it up..Did I miss something or did you post more pictures of your stuck truck...lol
Must be out on the Rubicon trail with his mini van

Send out the search party!

Watched a man back a large camping trailer onto a flat level grass camping spot with an F250 2wd one time.

Rained a bit the next day and into the night.

Sunday morning he could not pull his trailer off the grass to the gravel drive. The manager of the camp ground came down with his almost identical F250 - 4wd - and easily pulled the trailer up onto the gravel for him.

Free tow. Pretty nice. Won't always be free though. Or quick.

Watched a man back a large camping trailer onto a flat level grass camping spot with an F250 2wd one time.

Sunday morning he could not pull his trailer off the grass to the gravel drive. The manager of the camp ground came down with his almost identical F250 - 4wd - and easily pulled the trailer up onto the gravel for him.

Add camping in trailers to the things never done before 4x4 became ubiquitous.

To what,I've been taking off my camper and covering it up..Did I miss something or did you post more pictures of your stuck truck...lol

Don't be a puzzy!

Prime camping if you aren't afraid of a little snow.

Blue tarp? laugh
In my teens and early 20s we did all kinds of epic 2x4ing up north. Cause we were long hair pukes and didn't have enough money for a 4x4! Took Volkswagens, $200 beat up trucks and cars way the hell back in the bush pretty often. We got real good at improvised recovery with jack alls, come a longs, blocks, chain saws and the like. Good times. Don't think I ever had to walk further than 20 miles. And I don't think it ever took more than a week to get a vehicle unstuck and back home. Well there was that '59 Pontiac that's probably still there but it ended up on its lid and was about done anyways. ..

the trailers where a lot smaller then....bob

the trailers where a lot smaller then....bob

And the drivers probably more attuned to their vehicles and environment.

I guess from my point of view that's what it all comes down to. If all a guy has ever driven were 4bys he'd not no the capabilities of a 2wd. Because he didn't have too.......

I do believe we are on the same page.

Don't be a puzzy!

Prime camping if you aren't afraid of a little snow.

Ha Ha Ha..Naw Sam,tore the crap out of my shoulder cuff loading a Dewalt two tank compressor into my Yamaha Rhino bed..Got MRI's and doctor visits coming up miles from home and then most likely surgery,all 75-100 miles from home with winter coming on strong...They tried to put me in one of those small MRI's and I totally freeked out,so it's off to the big ones for me..LOL

I need my best 2WD-DRW to commute and the wife won't drive it with the truck camper on,so off it came today..Doubt I will be doing any camping until spring even if I wanted too..

my dad never had a 4wd.....I remember going all over the desert in az..... camping up in the white mountains...he always gave it hell when it needed it...…..in a car no less....

I started out with 4wd...sure was a lot easier...…….so I know the capabilities of 2wd....that's why I started with 4wd...….

the trailer comment was joking around......all in fun......bob
Hope you get to feeling better you ornery bastard!
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70. Gotta pay off a new or low mileage vehicle and pay off the house note during that time. Hey, money saved on a 2wd vs 4wd could go towards a motorcycle too.

Time is short.

You goofy 'ol fucqer....

That made me LOL.

I'm still amazed that some folks think 2WD is 99% as effective as 4WD.

Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70. Gotta pay off a new or low mileage vehicle and pay off the house note during that time. Hey, money saved on a 2wd vs 4wd could go towards a motorcycle too.

Time is short.

Birdwatcher, regardless whether you go with 2 or 4 wheel drive you might want to give some thought to weatherproof, lockable storage / extra carrying capacity when you go truck shopping... IE - standard cab versus extended cab, four door cab and/or lockable rigid bed cover. Besides room for occasional additional passengers, the extra space in bigger cabs is a big asset in keeping stuff dry and out of the heat and cold, not to mention valuables/necessities out of sight and easy access to potential thieves which a lockable bed cover alone would still help accomplish with a standard cab.

As always, YMMV...
Joken, thanks for the advice. Here on the home stretch I still got two itches to scratch; I haven’t owned a truck and I haven’t owned a Harley. If I work it right I can do both over the next few years. I sorta envision handing off the truck to my son after I croak, however long that is. I have been well served by Toyotas over the years, I expect a Toyota truck would still be running.

Chain on each of the drive wheels???

2 WD trucks... just put enough weight over the rear axles...

In MN, I occasionally ran four 70lb bags of sand back there and with snow tires it did pretty darn well....

did the same thing in my Volvo wagon...three 70 lbs/ers....

You goofy 'ol fucqer....

That made me LOL.

I'm still amazed that some folks think 2WD is 99% as effective as 4WD.

Well with Mud tires and weight over the rear axle, its still better than trying to do that in a car, even FWD...

tire height helps a lot ...

I have also seen in several 4 WDs I've owned.... put it in low lock, and even with the front hubs not locked in, and mud tires, they will do pretty darn well also..

4WD is best, but its not like the other alternatives won't move at all....

how did the rural world get by before people started buying 4 WD vehicles.... they were available way back in the 40s and 50s....
but not purchased as often, even in snow country...
Originally Posted by Seafire

Well with Mud tires and weight over the rear axle, its still better than trying to do that in a car, even FWD...

tire height helps a lot ...

I have also seen in several 4 WDs I've owned.... put it in low lock, and even with the front hubs not locked in, and mud tires, they will do pretty darn well also..

4WD is best, but its not like the other alternatives won't move at all....

how did the rural world get by before people started buying 4 WD vehicles.... they were available way back in the 40s and 50s....

Nobody ever went anywhere back then. duh You can't get anywhere without 4 wheel drive silly goose. Just think of the country that's been opened up! Soon as it snowed the amount of effective wilderness acres went up by a magnitude of 10 at least.
My Grandad was vehemently anti 4x4 for the longest time. Always said it was nothing but trouble, extra parts waiting to break. He could get a 2wd pickup into anywhere anyone needed to go. But he has tons of stories about McGyvering his way out of stuckholes too.

About 1990 when he went to order a new Ford truck my dad talked him into a 4x4. He hasn’t had a 2wd since. In fact now that his last two trucks have had the shift on the fly knob on the dash he puts it in 4wd about any time he turns into a pasture.

Those front wheels turning make a big difference if you need to get through a long enough stretch that you can’t rely on momentum. Plus you don’t have to have the bed full of sandbags or something to add traction in case you actually need to haul something. A 4x4 with lockers in both ends is a whole other animal as well. My 1979 Bronco has Traclok limited slips front and rear and it’ll go like a billy goat.
That's why I like 4x4 when its muddy, deep snow or just generally knarly, you can creep along at walking pace or less in low range. Easy on the truck easy on the tires and doesn't chew the chit out of the road for the next guy, which will likely be you.
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70.

If I knew that I had to work 'till age 70,..I'd spend my nights walking through the ghetto hoping somebody would knock me in the head.

might be pinching a log.

Also steep hills and loose gravel.

For most of my growing up years we didn't have a 4WD in my family. In those days, the roads were maintained much better because there were timber tax $$ and haul fee $$ to maintain those roads. They still didn't plow snow so we'd have to sometimes wait a month or two to get to town after a snow storm. Now there are almost no road maintenance $$. 4WD is pretty near necessary. If you don't own one yourself you have to sponge off of someone who does.

Tom
,...but I spent close to a decade working in a Japanese factory. It's kinda like talking about dog years. One year in a Japanese factory is like seven in an American factory.

I hit 59 and broke out the 401K. I didn't get to spend it, however. The thing they don't tell you about 401K's is,...you have to put everything you draw into another retirement account or the government takes it in taxes.

It turns into the perpetual fuggin' retirement plan that you can never spend.

,...could be worse, I guess. I could be a Millennial.
Put an identical 2wd next to a 4wd for sale and see which one sits longest. 4wd might burn a bit more fuel, but you'll get it back in resale 9 outta 10.

Thoughts?

Just the opposite here... 2WD trucks sit on the lot until they die from old age... Dealer once told a year or so ago, that a guy moved up here from TX and wanted to buy a new truck - but the one he had to trade was a 2WD, and the dealer simply wouldn't take it..
Originally Posted by Seafire

Nobody ever went anywhere back then. duh You can't get anywhere without 4 wheel drive silly goose. Just think of the country that's been opened up! Soon as it snowed the amount of effective wilderness acres went up by a magnitude of 10 at least.

I've actually asked a few old timers how they got by with 2WD drive pickups.

Basic answer, "We just didn't get around nearly as easy".

I am quite aware that my grandpas and great uncles had nothing but 2WD pickups when they started out. They also got by with little 2WD tractors. And there might have been 2-3 guys taking 'all day' to feed 100 head of cows.

Could I get by with a 2WD pickup? Sure, most of the time I do now. The rest of the time a guy just wouldn't get as much done and it would be a big pain in the ass getting stuck all the time.

4WD is rather handy and I have less than zero desire to go back to 2WD.

Kinda like indoor plumbing. Sure, I could walk outside and go take a [bleep] in an outhouse but that would be pretty retarded given there is a perfectly good toilet inside the house.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70.

If I knew that I had to work 'till age 70,..I'd spend my nights walking through the ghetto hoping somebody would knock me in the head.

Ya well, you worked for a living, I just sit around and make dumb jokes and sarcastic comments while planning what I’m gonna do on the 180 days each year I don’t gotta be there.

Like now, a whole friggin’ week for Thanksgiving. Three more weeks of not really working then two weeks at Christmas. A week at spring break plus five three-day weekends during the school year. If that ain’t enough we get ten paid sick days each year of which five can roll over. I have 147 sick days I haven’t touched yet, if I can go just four more years I can call in sIck for a whole year grin

Why does this have to be an either/or thing.....get one of each.......

Two wheel drive:

Four wheel drive:

Originally Posted by Redneck
Just the opposite here... 2WD trucks sit on the lot until they die from old age... Dealer once told a year or so ago, that a guy moved up here from TX and wanted to buy a new truck - but the one he had to trade was a 2WD, and the dealer simply wouldn't take it..

I just took a quick look at CarMax; thirty-six Tacomas for sale in the area, thirty of these are 2wd. Of course 4wd might leave the lot faster but that’s a local snapshot.

Two-door cab 2wd with less than 50,000 miles on the clock goes for about $20,000. Cheapest 2dr they got in 4wd goes for around $28,000. That’s a decent used Harley right there.

So, Birdie, can we all just assume that you had planned all along to buy the cheapest stripped-down version of a 2WD truck and a used Harley and just move along to something more important?

Asking for a friend............

Plus the way TRS works, if I can put in seven more years I get an extra $1,000/mo retirement.

my dad never had a 4wd.....I remember going all over the desert in az..... camping up in the white mountains...he always gave it hell when it needed it...…..in a car no less....

I started out with 4wd...sure was a lot easier...…….so I know the capabilities of 2wd....that's why I started with 4wd...….

the desert in arizona.
i have been out where it's perfectly flat, after heavy rain, water has no where to go. in 4x4, and could hardly go two feet.
or the time son had a lifted 4x4chevy truck, big tires, had in a little cattywampus front tires in this little four or five inch ditch and it rained real good. I remember walking about ten miles in the mud and rain cussing that truck.
I don't remember ever getting stuck in my dad's studebaker truck with cleated tires and chains. but there were a lot of places i decided i didn't need to go wondering if i would have to walk it out.
two y ears ago i had my 3/4ton dodge diesel 4x4 in mud up to the axles, about ten miles in on a crappy so called road. I was praying to the baby Jesus we would get out. We did, but i ain't doing that again ever.
Originally Posted by BayouRover
So, Birdie, can we all just assume that you had planned all along to buy the cheapest stripped-down version of a 2WD truck and a used Harley and just move along to something more important?

Asking for a friend............

Ain’t planned anything all along, but I did just get a lot of great info. What more timely topic on the ‘Fire than trucks?

I got two paid-off high-mileage Corollas in the driveway that start every time I turn the key, got em back from my Ex and my son when they bought their own vehicles. We also have a great mechanic teaching Auto Shop at school who fixes stuff for free plus the price of parts. When the older Corolla hit 320,000 he dropped in a salvage motor for just $1500 in motor and parts. That was 50,000 miles ago. Runs great doesn’t burn oil. So I got transportation covered.

Be sorta cool if tho if I could leave my son a truck, my Ex’s dad did that, and between them his kids used that old (2wd) truck as needed for most of the next 20 years.

A Harley could get me laid, which is important.
it was before my time, but my dad said one of the best vehicles for navigating that stuff was a model A ford.
I have been looking at a yota forerunner for probably two years, or a tundra.
my problem is i have a honda accord 03 with 72k on it, a buick 98 century with under 40k on it, a 98 dodge 3/4ton diesel 4x4 with about 170 k on it, and three or four flat fender jeeps sitting around, plus a 72fj40.
but i would like a new vehicle that i didn't have to worry about breaking down.
My son in law just bought a 4x4 titan, which put the bug in me again.
and i have the ability to pay cash for a new vehicle. a top of the line forerunner.
but being cheap, that 50k winging out the window gives me the shivers.
a harley could get you laid. That kind of went out as looking for a vehicle that would get me laid stopped at about age 20.

Plus the way TRS works, if I can put in seven more years I get an extra $1,000/mo retirement.

and you get seven less years to spend it before you kak.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
a harley could get you laid. That kind of went out as looking for a vehicle that would get me laid stopped at about age 20.

Hey, you’re only young once, but you can be immature forever 🙂

As to the seven years less deal, what I envision is pulling a cargo trailer behind that truck, which would serve as my RV. I’m pretty critical in the life of my granddaughter tho, practically a parent. Ergo it’s gonna be ten years yet before I’m free to hit the road.

I do here ya about the reliable vehicle thing. If I drive either Corolla out of state, I’m bringing the title so I can leave it there if it dies.
I'll be working until I'm 73 - then it's time to shut it all down..

A vehicle that I couldn't make break traction and spin out even on slick roads, loose gravel, sand, was an old Chrysler Products car with a " Fluid Drive " transmission.
God Dam, one can not possibly make up all the stupidity!

Car dealers are all about making money. They make money by selling cars. They sell to local individuals, fleet sales, auctions, online, and you name it they will sell it. So no dealer isn't going to take a vehicle in on trade just because it is TWD! Second I have a few good friends in Wisconsin and travel there often. I have seen plenty of TWD trucks on the roads and in the dealers lots!

Now for this nonsense about a FWD driving as comfortable as a TWD! Are you all retarded or just really that Phuuuukking stupid? I don't see any TWD trucks with aggressive thread pattern tires. If you have a FWD and have highway tires on it then god dam you are full retard! And so much for your argument about mud and snow.

I have both FWD and TWD, both have their places. 99% of the time the average guy can do well with a simple TWD truck! But of course your ego's need stroking so.............
Now for this nonsense about a FWD driving as comfortable as a TWD! Are you all retarded or just really that Phuuuukking stupid? I don't see any TWD trucks with aggressive thread pattern tires. If you have a FWD and have highway tires on it then god dam you are full retard! And so much for your argument about mud and snow.

Huh?

Car dealers are all about making money. They make money by selling cars. They sell to local individuals, fleet sales, auctions, online, and you name it they will sell it. So no dealer isn't going to take a vehicle in on trade just because it is TWD! Second I have a few good friends in Wisconsin and travel there often. I have seen plenty of TWD trucks on the roads and in the dealers lots!

I have both FWD and TWD, both have their places. 99% of the time the average guy can do well with a simple TWD truck! But of course your ego's need stroking so.............

I guess you told us didn’t you?
TFF

In Texas it's ice and mud, my Tacoma is 4wd and I average 20 on the freeway, rarely need it, but when I do, I am usually a long way from anywhere and anyone.

Maybe near IL the southern WI dealers have a bunch - but NOT up here.. Oh, there's a very few here and there but I guarantee you the person trading it in took a bath - or it won't be on the lot, period.. The one I quoted said he just didn't want that truck - because it wouldn't sell here, (- unless the guy wanted to basically give it away.. )

What I posted was the truth.. If you don't like facts, then GFY...

And BTW, what dealerships have you worked for?? Name 'em... I bet you haven't. But I have - I spent 15 years in the biz between June '84 and Feb. '98... And I can name 'em... I'm very, very familiar with car dealerships.. So stick it. Now I'm outta here. I've read enough stupidity from one particular poster today..

I hunt pheasant at my gun club every Monday during the season. Today it was 38 degrees no wind. The area
I hunted today was at the end of a dead end road. The last 75 yards is a dirt 2 track rutted and muddy on most days like today. My F250 Super Duty handled the 2 track fine in 2WD. Turned into the property and while parking got stuck. Just like Sam’s video I sat and spun. Tried easing back and forth, nothing. The culprit was leaves. Wet leaves on bare ground might as well of been ice. Turned the switch and boom movement slow and deliberate. All my buddies had the same problem.

And another thing when my truck is full (38 gals) powder snow ls no issue in 2WD. Heavy enough with fuel to power through powder, but heavy wet snow or ice, forget it. And forget driving a dually for every day driving. (Towing different story.) I have had 2WD pickups and cars and no way I would go back. Life is about compromise and 4WD is worth every cent to me. I would add I live in a small city with plows so by the second day the roads are asphalt again. The weather the Montana contingent have to deal with is a no brainer. Our plow trucks are RWD dump trucks with chains and slide in sanders. When they get stuck they send out 4WD pay-loader to dig us out. And the mud you southerners have to deal with is pretty bad to. Same issue driving in mud on a North Carolina deer hunt. I would not be without 4WD.
Mike, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about....

2WD is all you need.

MCH, ummm yeah......laughing

Jeezus MCH, you better go sign up for anger management before you get red flagged.....
How bout no wheel drive, that any good?

You need to ask MCH..... good luck.. hahahaha
Watch it or I'm gonna kick both your asses!

Unicycle muutherphuckers!

You chain that unicycle up and strap a bale of hay on your back and go feed those starving cows NOW damnit!
Time for me to retreat to the bunker ... again.... chits gettin real
I don't see any TWD trucks with aggressive thread pattern tires.

Ha ha....truck I just sold......10 ply Dura-Tracs all around.....

Originally Posted by irfubar

Thanks. I think? hahahaha

UM
(unicycle muutherphucker)

Downhill, works like a charm. And if you’re a Mormon you can push em clear to Utah. I had a student do that handcart thing with her temple/church/ward whatever, she said her and her friends were pretending they were Amish grin

I told her Amish woulda used horses. Anyhoo she’s off at BYU now, prob’ly gonna get married and raise a happy, well adjusted family, the usual Mormon stuff.

Tell your friend I said GFY.
Fred Flintstone had it goin on wink

Lots a ways to go..

Birdie,

I have not read all of the responses but the few I have read are not giving the best advice IMO. Think this over - the 4WD costs $1700 more than ther 2WD if I read correctly. The mileage is for all practical purposes comparable between the 2WD and 4WD, if you buy the 4WD the $1700 will return on the back end when you get ready to sell it. If you don't buy the 4WD and end up stuck a few times you will hate yourself for the money you "saved".

As far as ride since you are in realaitively flat county put 6 ply traction tires on it and it will ride just fine.

The best part of it is that when you get ready to sell it since it is a no rust Texas truck you will have people lined up to purchase it with no loss to your original $1700 upgrade for the 4WD - your buying public expands greatly when it is a 4WD.

As far as saving the $1700 for a Harley - dumbest idea yet. By the time you are 70 you will realize how dangerous and what a waste of money Harleys are at that age. And there are not a lot of ladies out there who want to be with 70 year old riders, and if they are you probably don't want to be with them.

drover
Don’t knock it. Research has shown that, on average, half of most people’s daily driving is downhill.
Drover, sound advice.

New, the difference between 2wd and 4wd is like $3,000. Used w 50,000 miles or less it’s more like $8,000 on account of said resale value.

From age 27 thru age 37 my only transportation was motorcycles, and I didn’t own four-wheeled transportation in my name until age 45. I was a pretty committed motorcycle guy, took long cross-country trips quite a lot, met all my women through my motorcycle, including my Ex.

A Harley weren’t doable as daily transportation back then as the Outlaw gangs stole ‘em regularly. Couldn’t leave a Harley parked anywhere. Times change, now they can’t hardly give em away 🙂

Muslims gotta go to Mecca, I gotta own a Harley, just to say I did.

Malcolm Forbes used to say there’s a part of you that is awake on a motorcycle that isn’t awake at any other time. He was right. If some old lady DOES climb on the back of my bike, more’n likely she’s gonna be fun to be around.
Mmmmm old biker chicks. Saggy titties, wrinkly tats and musty leather. Yummy.........Not.... I'd be lookin for a bridge to jump off of if I ever got that desperate. Sheeesh.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Mmmmm old biker chicks. Saggy titties, wrinkly tats and musty leather. Yummy.........Not.... I'd be lookin for a bridge to jump off of if I ever got that desperate. Sheeesh.

I meant different ones 🙂
Originally Posted by irfubar

[Linked Image from jazzincdioramas.com]
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I meant different ones 🙂
Ain't no different ones. Two wheel drive sucks regardless.
Years ago I bought a 2WD 3/4 ton Suburban at a low price at an auction. It was great for camping and taking kids fishing and to the park. In winter time when the snow got really deep not so much. I bought a set or tire chains and realized it's full potential. I had fun with it, painted it camoflage and used it for prairie dog hunts etc. After it got old and rusty I sold it to some street gang who only wanted it for the license plates.
You can hardly give away a 2WD here in Minnesota.

sand

I've been stuck in sand once with 4wd. Big heavy vehicles (GMC Suburban) don't do very well in sand, even with 4wd and BFG all terrain tires. There are some pumice fields in the Eastern Sierra that will swallow you up just 2 feet off the road. I've learned to never stop on level ground in soft sand. I am looking to buy my first new truck in 20 years and it will be 4wd. That old Suburban was like riding on rails in 4WD on ice and snow.

the desert in arizona.
i have been out where it's perfectly flat, after heavy rain, water has no where to go. in 4x4, and could hardly go two feet.
or the time son had a lifted 4x4chevy truck, big tires, had in a little cattywampus front tires in this little four or five inch ditch and it rained real good. I remember walking about ten miles in the mud and rain cussing that truck.
I don't remember ever getting stuck in my dad's studebaker truck with cleated tires and chains. but there were a lot of places i decided i didn't need to go wondering if i would have to walk it out.
two y ears ago i had my 3/4ton dodge diesel 4x4 in mud up to the axles, about ten miles in on a crappy so called road. I was praying to the baby Jesus we would get out. We did, but i ain't doing that again ever.

I've heard of diesel burying the front ends where gassers can keep going. Fords 6.7, at 1100# wet, weighs nearly twice as much as the 6.2 gas motor. It is something to consider when going off road.
think mike and petey experienced waitlessness (sic) driving down the beach. mike might even have hit his head on the ceiling.
Originally Posted by smarquez

the desert in arizona.

I've heard of diesel burying the front ends where gassers can keep going. Fords 6.7, at 1100# wet, weighs nearly twice as much as the 6.2 gas motor. It is something to consider when going off road.
true, won't take my diesel down the beach.
think mike and petey experienced waitlessness (sic) driving down the beach. mike might even have hit his head on the ceiling.

Yepper, that was a great trip. IIRC it was you pulling the flatbed trailer too. Live New England lobster and scallops (whelks?) served up that evening, way the heck down Padre.

Make sure to load up 100 gallons of red dye, BGG and a cooler full of warm High Life beforehand.

For the rest of the week, I'm going to count 2wd and then also 4wd trucks that I see on the roads here in Wisconsin,

Guarantee it's at least 50 to 1,

Any takers?
Originally Posted by Kenneth
For the rest of the week, I'm going to count 2wd and then also 4wd trucks that I see on the roads here in Wisconsin,

Any takers?

You mean 1:50?
yes, 50 4wd to 1 2wd
Unless I was strictly hauling trailers on the highway, I wouldn’t own a 2wd truck.

Maybe a hot rod truck. A classic ‘70 or so Chevy short box would be sweet with a nicely built ls motor!
When I was a teenager my friend had a pickup with straight six cylinder and three on the tree.
He used to pride himself on being able to go anyyplace.
Originally Posted by viking
Yeah most trucks in Texas are 2wd. Now the concrete cowboys will have an f-250 or F-350 jacket up, out fitted with light bars and yeti stickers. That once or twice trip to the lease or ranch requires it.

By being lifted, it’s easier to fill the corn feeders. lol

I lift them because fat chicks can't jump! Never seen one of them, feeders!
I wanna know how many pds does a TWD weight?
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Any takers?
Not from here... IMHO you're safe by about 25 trucks or so... smile
Jerry

We all say silly szchit on occasion but you've been on a streak that even Cal Ripken could appreciate.

Thoughts?

I’ll never be without a 4wd truck again. When you need it, you generally REALLY need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

John

Make sure to load up 100 gallons of red dye, BGG and a cooler full of warm High Life beforehand.

Yeah baby!
Jerry

So you know the difference between 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive?And yes a lot of idiots get themselves in a pickle because they think 4 wheel drive can actually take them anywhere in any conditions.
© 24hourcampfire