Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope you get to feeling better you ornery bastard!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70. Gotta pay off a new or low mileage vehicle and pay off the house note during that time. Hey, money saved on a 2wd vs 4wd could go towards a motorcycle too.

Time is short.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by logcutter
The mini van gets by far the most use and has absolutely no trouble getting around in the snow...

This chit is still funny!

Just came across this really great vid......

You goofy 'ol fucqer....

That made me LOL.

I'm still amazed that some folks think 2WD is 99% as effective as 4WD.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70. Gotta pay off a new or low mileage vehicle and pay off the house note during that time. Hey, money saved on a 2wd vs 4wd could go towards a motorcycle too.

Time is short.

Birdwatcher, regardless whether you go with 2 or 4 wheel drive you might want to give some thought to weatherproof, lockable storage / extra carrying capacity when you go truck shopping... IE - standard cab versus extended cab, four door cab and/or lockable rigid bed cover. Besides room for occasional additional passengers, the extra space in bigger cabs is a big asset in keeping stuff dry and out of the heat and cold, not to mention valuables/necessities out of sight and easy access to potential thieves which a lockable bed cover alone would still help accomplish with a standard cab.

As always, YMMV...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Joken, thanks for the advice. Here on the home stretch I still got two itches to scratch; I haven’t owned a truck and I haven’t owned a Harley. If I work it right I can do both over the next few years. I sorta envision handing off the truck to my son after I croak, however long that is. I have been well served by Toyotas over the years, I expect a Toyota truck would still be running.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I am in the North Carolina mountains. It snows pretty often up here. The 2WD pickup is the worst vehicle in the snow, no weight on the drive wheels.
Up here 98 percent of pickups are 4WD. I have a 3/4 mile long, steep gravel driveway and I love my 4WD Nissan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Chain on each of the drive wheels???

2 WD trucks... just put enough weight over the rear axles...

In MN, I occasionally ran four 70lb bags of sand back there and with snow tires it did pretty darn well....

did the same thing in my Volvo wagon...three 70 lbs/ers....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by logcutter
The mini van gets by far the most use and has absolutely no trouble getting around in the snow...

This chit is still funny!

Just came across this really great vid......

You goofy 'ol fucqer....

That made me LOL.

I'm still amazed that some folks think 2WD is 99% as effective as 4WD.

Well with Mud tires and weight over the rear axle, its still better than trying to do that in a car, even FWD...

tire height helps a lot ...

I have also seen in several 4 WDs I've owned.... put it in low lock, and even with the front hubs not locked in, and mud tires, they will do pretty darn well also..

4WD is best, but its not like the other alternatives won't move at all....

how did the rural world get by before people started buying 4 WD vehicles.... they were available way back in the 40s and 50s....
but not purchased as often, even in snow country...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Well with Mud tires and weight over the rear axle, its still better than trying to do that in a car, even FWD...

tire height helps a lot ...

I have also seen in several 4 WDs I've owned.... put it in low lock, and even with the front hubs not locked in, and mud tires, they will do pretty darn well also..

4WD is best, but its not like the other alternatives won't move at all....

how did the rural world get by before people started buying 4 WD vehicles.... they were available way back in the 40s and 50s....

Nobody ever went anywhere back then. duh You can't get anywhere without 4 wheel drive silly goose. Just think of the country that's been opened up! Soon as it snowed the amount of effective wilderness acres went up by a magnitude of 10 at least.

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Grandad was vehemently anti 4x4 for the longest time. Always said it was nothing but trouble, extra parts waiting to break. He could get a 2wd pickup into anywhere anyone needed to go. But he has tons of stories about McGyvering his way out of stuckholes too.

About 1990 when he went to order a new Ford truck my dad talked him into a 4x4. He hasn’t had a 2wd since. In fact now that his last two trucks have had the shift on the fly knob on the dash he puts it in 4wd about any time he turns into a pasture.

Those front wheels turning make a big difference if you need to get through a long enough stretch that you can’t rely on momentum. Plus you don’t have to have the bed full of sandbags or something to add traction in case you actually need to haul something. A 4x4 with lockers in both ends is a whole other animal as well. My 1979 Bronco has Traclok limited slips front and rear and it’ll go like a billy goat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's why I like 4x4 when its muddy, deep snow or just generally knarly, you can creep along at walking pace or less in low range. Easy on the truck easy on the tires and doesn't chew the chit out of the road for the next guy, which will likely be you.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70.

If I knew that I had to work 'till age 70,..I'd spend my nights walking through the ghetto hoping somebody would knock me in the head.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm kinda nervous waiting on Logcutter's response......

might be pinching a log.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Two things demand 4WD: snow and mud.

Also steep hills and loose gravel.

For most of my growing up years we didn't have a 4WD in my family. In those days, the roads were maintained much better because there were timber tax $$ and haul fee $$ to maintain those roads. They still didn't plow snow so we'd have to sometimes wait a month or two to get to town after a snow storm. Now there are almost no road maintenance $$. 4WD is pretty near necessary. If you don't own one yourself you have to sponge off of someone who does.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
,...but I spent close to a decade working in a Japanese factory. It's kinda like talking about dog years. One year in a Japanese factory is like seven in an American factory.

I hit 59 and broke out the 401K. I didn't get to spend it, however. The thing they don't tell you about 401K's is,...you have to put everything you draw into another retirement account or the government takes it in taxes.

It turns into the perpetual fuggin' retirement plan that you can never spend.

,...could be worse, I guess. I could be a Millennial.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Put an identical 2wd next to a 4wd for sale and see which one sits longest. 4wd might burn a bit more fuel, but you'll get it back in resale 9 outta 10.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When I arrived in Texas about 35 years ago, two things struck me as different. One was most of the people I became friends with down here (Texas Rednecks for the most part) kept handguns in their trucks. The other was most of ‘em HAD trucks.

Not often 4wd drive tho. IIRC a general consensus went you didn’t need it that often and if you did a winch could get you out.

I would guess since then 4wd has become less intrusive and more user-friendly, and on the base 2020 Tacoma the 4wd option only adds about $1,700 to the list price of the truck work almost the same fuel economy (4wd has a significantly better resale value too).

Still, around here, most pickups are still 2wd, and most are Ford F 150s.

Thoughts?

Just the opposite here... 2WD trucks sit on the lot until they die from old age... Dealer once told a year or so ago, that a guy moved up here from TX and wanted to buy a new truck - but the one he had to trade was a 2WD, and the dealer simply wouldn't take it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Seafire

Nobody ever went anywhere back then. duh You can't get anywhere without 4 wheel drive silly goose. Just think of the country that's been opened up! Soon as it snowed the amount of effective wilderness acres went up by a magnitude of 10 at least.

I've actually asked a few old timers how they got by with 2WD drive pickups.

Basic answer, "We just didn't get around nearly as easy".

I am quite aware that my grandpas and great uncles had nothing but 2WD pickups when they started out. They also got by with little 2WD tractors. And there might have been 2-3 guys taking 'all day' to feed 100 head of cows.

Could I get by with a 2WD pickup? Sure, most of the time I do now. The rest of the time a guy just wouldn't get as much done and it would be a big pain in the ass getting stuck all the time.

4WD is rather handy and I have less than zero desire to go back to 2WD.

Kinda like indoor plumbing. Sure, I could walk outside and go take a [bleep] in an outhouse but that would be pretty retarded given there is a perfectly good toilet inside the house.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Great thread. God willing I have 7 1/2 years of work left before retiring at 70.

If I knew that I had to work 'till age 70,..I'd spend my nights walking through the ghetto hoping somebody would knock me in the head.

Ya well, you worked for a living, I just sit around and make dumb jokes and sarcastic comments while planning what I’m gonna do on the 180 days each year I don’t gotta be there.

Like now, a whole friggin’ week for Thanksgiving. Three more weeks of not really working then two weeks at Christmas. A week at spring break plus five three-day weekends during the school year. If that ain’t enough we get ten paid sick days each year of which five can roll over. I have 147 sick days I haven’t touched yet, if I can go just four more years I can call in sIck for a whole year grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why does this have to be an either/or thing.....get one of each.......

Two wheel drive:

Four wheel drive:

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Just the opposite here... 2WD trucks sit on the lot until they die from old age... Dealer once told a year or so ago, that a guy moved up here from TX and wanted to buy a new truck - but the one he had to trade was a 2WD, and the dealer simply wouldn't take it..

I just took a quick look at CarMax; thirty-six Tacomas for sale in the area, thirty of these are 2wd. Of course 4wd might leave the lot faster but that’s a local snapshot.

Two-door cab 2wd with less than 50,000 miles on the clock goes for about $20,000. Cheapest 2dr they got in 4wd goes for around $28,000. That’s a decent used Harley right there.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.