Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
South Texas and most of Texas simply doesn’t need 4x4.t

Really? Please share your vast experience in South Texas with us.

fwiw - I covered four ranches last week, and only used 4wd every day in a 3/4 ton, mostly crawling through and over thorn brush, sand, and creeks with sandy slopes. Shot four pigs and one cull deer too using NF in case it matters.

btw - thanks to Sam O for the recommendation on Hankooks. No flats despite pulling thorns out of sidewalls and treads.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Jayco's got it right.

Them that think a 2wd isn't a "real truck" are silly.

To be fair, I don't plan on ever having another 2wd pickup, but for several years that's all I had. I still have her and use her. If you know how to drive, and yes use chains, a 2wd pickup can go a lot further and do a lot of things that would amaze many.

Good to hear, seems like there’s a steady supply of used low mileage base 2wd Tacos around here, prob’ly do 99% of what I would use it for, and patience and a winch could cover much of that last 1%

The last 4x4 I had was a used 70-something Dodge truck, w/locking hubs, gas V8, mileage in the mid to low teens. Sold it in Grad school, got into motorcycles which can be a year-round proposition down here. Better mileage.

When in the sand of SE Arizona, I kept a couple chunks of 1/4" plywood in the bed. If you get in a bind, are not retarded, and have the factory scissor jack you can get yourself into and out of a lotta places. I'd be called a liar by some if I posted some of the places I've taken my old 92 "gasp" regular cab longbed 2wd.

but you will never buy another 2wd......that is the important part......if someone ...birdman.....is starting out the cost and maintenance is not as overwhelming as some make it out to be......bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny, the talk of mud, snow, ice...

The worst, and by far the most embarrassing thing for sticking
someone on a hill is,....

Wet grass.

Not a damp yard, although that can happen, but
Try pulling an empty hay wagon in foot high grass up a steep hill.
The dam grass lays down and keeps the tires from biting the dirt.
Add some moisture, the grass adds more, and you can't go anywhere.
I'm sure some of our hill farmer members are laughing.

Have often seen 2wd vehicles go in a field and down a hill, then cant get out.
We have a field on our property I avoid in my truck if it's at all wet.
One way in, one way out, in grass.
I got stuck in there with a jag of wood, on about 2 inches of snow,
hadn't been mowed that fall. No cell service, was going to be a hike out.
We made it, but with 4wd, I looked like those 2wd videos.

Some, it seems
Think it would have been better to have 2wd.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Jayco's got it right.

Them that think a 2wd isn't a "real truck" are silly.

To be fair, I don't plan on ever having another 2wd pickup, but for several years that's all I had. I still have her and use her. If you know how to drive, and yes use chains, a 2wd pickup can go a lot further and do a lot of things that would amaze many.

Good to hear, seems like there’s a steady supply of used low mileage base 2wd Tacos around here, prob’ly do 99% of what I would use it for, and patience and a winch could cover much of that last 1%

The last 4x4 I had was a used 70-something Dodge truck, w/locking hubs, gas V8, mileage in the mid to low teens. Sold it in Grad school, got into motorcycles which can be a year-round proposition down here. Better mileage.

When in the sand of SE Arizona, I kept a couple chunks of 1/4" plywood in the bed. If you get in a bind, are not retarded, and have the factory scissor jack you can get yourself into and out of a lotta places. I'd be called a liar by some if I posted some of the places I've taken my old 92 "gasp" regular cab longbed 2wd.

but you will never buy another 2wd......that is the important part......if someone ...birdman.....is starting out the cost and maintenance is not as overwhelming as some make it out to be......bob

Yes, thanks for catching that point. 4x4 is way more handier, and way better in a lot of situations. My only point was that a guy doesn't need to let his lack thereof keep him to dry, level pavement. To read most of this thread, my God I can't imagine how anybody ever went ANYWHERE without it. smile

MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

billy goat....I happen to agree with you ….bob

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm kinda nervous waiting on Logcutter's response......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must be out on the Rubicon trail with his mini van

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I grew up when there wasn't any 4X4's produced by any of the major manufacturers...You learn how to deal with the elements and 2WD trucks...We still went hunting back in the backcountry,pulled our horses to the end of the road and got back out in snow storms...None of it in 4X4 trucks because they weren't offered then...They only existed as home brewed modified trucks....None by any of the car manufacturers.....

I sure like my 4X4's but I don't have to have one to go anywhere back in the mountains because 2WD works just fine in 99.9% of the cases but if your too lazy to chain up,you should have stayed home..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
I grew up when there wasn't any 4X4's produced by any of the major manufacturers...You learn how to deal with the elements and 2WD trucks...We still went hunting back in the backcountry,pulled our horses to the end of the road and got back out in snow storms...None of it in 4X4 trucks because they weren't offered then...They only existed as home brewed modified trucks....None by any of the car manufacturers.....

I sure like my 4X4's but I don't have to have one to go anywhere back in the mountains because 2WD works just fine in 99.9% of the cases but if your too lazy to chain up,you should have stayed home..

and here I thought we where making some headway with you...…..bob

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson

To what,I've been taking off my camper and covering it up..Did I miss something or did you post more pictures of your stuck truck...lol

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
Must be out on the Rubicon trail with his mini van

Send out the search party!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Watched a man back a large camping trailer onto a flat level grass camping spot with an F250 2wd one time.

Rained a bit the next day and into the night.

Sunday morning he could not pull his trailer off the grass to the gravel drive. The manager of the camp ground came down with his almost identical F250 - 4wd - and easily pulled the trailer up onto the gravel for him.

Free tow. Pretty nice. Won't always be free though. Or quick.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Watched a man back a large camping trailer onto a flat level grass camping spot with an F250 2wd one time.

Sunday morning he could not pull his trailer off the grass to the gravel drive. The manager of the camp ground came down with his almost identical F250 - 4wd - and easily pulled the trailer up onto the gravel for him.

Add camping in trailers to the things never done before 4x4 became ubiquitous.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

To what,I've been taking off my camper and covering it up..Did I miss something or did you post more pictures of your stuck truck...lol

Don't be a puzzy!

Prime camping if you aren't afraid of a little snow.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Blue tarp? laugh

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my teens and early 20s we did all kinds of epic 2x4ing up north. Cause we were long hair pukes and didn't have enough money for a 4x4! Took Volkswagens, $200 beat up trucks and cars way the hell back in the bush pretty often. We got real good at improvised recovery with jack alls, come a longs, blocks, chain saws and the like. Good times. Don't think I ever had to walk further than 20 miles. And I don't think it ever took more than a week to get a vehicle unstuck and back home. Well there was that '59 Pontiac that's probably still there but it ended up on its lid and was about done anyways. ..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

the trailers where a lot smaller then....bob

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobMt

the trailers where a lot smaller then....bob

And the drivers probably more attuned to their vehicles and environment.

I guess from my point of view that's what it all comes down to. If all a guy has ever driven were 4bys he'd not no the capabilities of a 2wd. Because he didn't have too.......

I do believe we are on the same page.

MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Don't be a puzzy!

Prime camping if you aren't afraid of a little snow.

Ha Ha Ha..Naw Sam,tore the crap out of my shoulder cuff loading a Dewalt two tank compressor into my Yamaha Rhino bed..Got MRI's and doctor visits coming up miles from home and then most likely surgery,all 75-100 miles from home with winter coming on strong...They tried to put me in one of those small MRI's and I totally freeked out,so it's off to the big ones for me..LOL

I need my best 2WD-DRW to commute and the wife won't drive it with the truck camper on,so off it came today..Doubt I will be doing any camping until spring even if I wanted too..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

my dad never had a 4wd.....I remember going all over the desert in az..... camping up in the white mountains...he always gave it hell when it needed it...…..in a car no less....

I started out with 4wd...sure was a lot easier...…….so I know the capabilities of 2wd....that's why I started with 4wd...….

the trailer comment was joking around......all in fun......bob

Last edited by BobMt; 11/24/19.
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,175 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.