Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A good friend and Fire member who is also our resident custom knife builder, Hank - Godogs57 invited me down South to his home to do a little Whitetail hunting with him...

I jumped at his offer to shoot a whitetail in his county which is renowned for holding some of the biggest and best bucks in Georgia due to genetic carryover. And, based on the shoulder mounts that filled Hank’s house, it was obviously true.

Plane ticket bought, gear bag and rifle packed, I was out the door at 3:45AM to catch my 6 hour flight from Oregon to Georgia...My wife travels a lot for business and accrues some significant air miles which allowed me to upgrade from coach to first class. Oh, man, this hunter was flying in style and comfort....Thank you Wifey!

Touchdown Georgia! Hank met me at baggage claim, then a quick ride to his awesome home located on an acre parcel of land. On the drive to his home, Hank gave me a quick education on Southern hunting and the slight differences I would see compared to my Western hunting background.

He explained that we’d be hunting a small 40 acre parcel of private woods that only Hank and his family are allowed to hunt. This property had historically held some monster bucks, but after last years hurricane season, hurricane Michael put a serious hurt on both the hunting grounds and Hank’s neighborhood...Not too worry - Hank had film of some good bucks working the 40 acres, and the rut had started. High 5!

Next morning, wake up at O-dark, grabbed packs and shoot’n irons and headed out for a quick drive to the property. As I’m getting my pack on, I feel myself getting sprayed down with something out of a spray bottle - WTF?.....Godogs wearing a grin, says its to reduce my human scent before walking into the blind...Eye Roll! But, okay...Let’s do this!

Down a short path, Hank points towards an elevated blind I’m to climb into and sit overlooking a 140 yard long shooting lane he had cultivated over the years....Copy that, I can climb into a blind like a cat, all stealth like in the dark. I basically fell into the blind thru its small entrance opening. Hey, but I was greeted with a very comfortable and quiet bucket chair to stay perched in. A perfect killing blind that was well thought out for concealing my movement, but allowed easy posting of my rifle for making a shot.

That morning I watched 3 doe’s and a nice buck right before shooting time...The morning ended with me watching a loco in the head doe beat the heck out of a leafed branch that apparently held her favorite vittles. Then she decided to fall asleep under the branch to protect her food source...I quietly climbed out of the blind unnoticed by her....Again, I got cat like moves of stealth when needed.

That evening it was a repeat of the same, but only saw a doe working the food...Day one ended without a shot fired by me or my host.

Back at Casa Godogs, the family is there and all couldn’t have been more welcoming to a hunter from Oregon. Hank’s a lucky man to have such a family...Southern hospitality on full display.

Morning day 2.....Oh, Shît! Beaver overslept by 30 minutes. Gawd, I hate when that happens...Jet lag had a small roll in this hunting foul, but, I made it work by quickly throwing on my clothes, grabbing my ready to go gear/rifle and out the door we went - sans coffee.

Hank asked if I wanted to hunt the same blind or switch to a different spot? My answer? I’m cool with the same blind. I saw deer. It’s all a matter of time, and a little luck, and both hadn’t run out on me in that blind...Plus, I was getting pretty skilled at getting in and out of this elevated blind....No need to change familiarity with an unknown when animals have been seen.

Now, all of us who’ve hunted awhile know Murphy of Murphy’s Law. I had a feeling, based on my screwed up morning, getting up late, no coffee, no morning constitutional bucket relief, and gear half on, half off was gonna be my morning to kill a buck.

The same pre-walk in ritual was performed by my Redneck buddy who enthusiastically hosed me and my gear down with invisible scent masking spray...Bigger eye roll...But, hey, Hank loved to torcher me with that danm spray bottle.

Now I was ready....And, the deer and Murphy didn’t disappoint...Nothing happening in front of the blind once I climbed into it like a gorilla, smashing my pack against the entrance door opening...Gawt dammit! I hate making noise while hunting.

I’m seated finally in the most comfortable hunting chair I’ve ever sat in...Note to all. This chair fits onto a 5 gallon bucket. It’s got back support and cushioned for your ass and back. I want a couple. For what? I have no idea for my Western hunting, but I still want one.

Even though I have good concealment, my head is moving slowly inside the blind as I look forward, left and right peering thru small cut openings Hank had made to see out from...Still no animals showing...Suns coming up and I don’t need my bins to see anymore.

BUCK!....I checked my left side opening which gave a view of the path I walk down to the blind and here, standing with his nose to the ground is a young 3x3 or in the South a 6 pointer. I watched the buck work his way down the path towards me inside the blind. My rifle hasn’t moved, I already decided on my first seeing the buck, he’d get a pass to live a few more seasons...The buck quietly walks into the dense cover and is gone.

BIGGER BUCK! 15 minutes later I see movement in the thick shît of a deers body moving towards the shooting lane in front of me. Quietly, I set my rifle up and put the scope reticle on its body following it as it moved along. The foliage is pretty thick, so I couldn’t see any headgear at that moment, but guessing on its body I figured it for a buck...

Finally, with a quick, jump, run, this buck is standing in the middle of the shooting lane, looking directly at the blind...I’m looking at him through my scope, knowing he’s not as big a buck as Hank has hanging on his walls at home, this buck had a cool double set of brow tines on his left side, coupled with decent bone height, and overall a nice looking buck to me...I took him by sending one 160g NAB through his lower neck, putting him down drt.

I was happy with him!....My first Georgia Whitetail Hunt ended with me beating Murphy at his own game.

Hank arrived next to put together a few hero pictures of me. Then off to meat processing place, and taxidermist for an order of one shoulder mount for Beaver’s Georgia Whitetail Buck.

Hank,
Thanks buddy for the hunt and hospitality shown by you and your lovely wife. I had a great time! 👍🏻😎

The beginning...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Saying Hi to my pard Cinch from 1st Class and 35,000 ft...

My room with a killer view...

More gun than needed...FIST...

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Horns....

Hero pic....

My Pard, Godogs57

Maybe next time...

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff Beav! You are having a heck of a season - congrats!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty cool.

So was this your first foray into sitting in a blind/stand, playing the waiting game?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats!

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice buck, Beaver10!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nicely done Sir !

What kind of stock is that on your rifle ?

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
GREAT. Sounds like fun all around.
Congrats

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
That's pretty cool.

So was this your first foray into sitting in a blind/stand, playing the waiting game?

Yes, I’ve never hunted out of a blind except for duck and geese. I’m familiar with sitting patiently for 10-11 hours glassing an area looking for critters. I’ve just never had such a comfortable seat for it...😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're having a great year Beav !!!

Truly happy for you.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice work and congratulations... you shipping the meat home or taking it on the plane...

Public landowner...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cinch
Nice work and congratulations... you shipping the meat home or taking it on the plane...

Hank’s family was looking for a good eating animal to get turned into breakfast sausage and steaks. My buck fit their needs pretty well, considering it was a young deer.

I did get to eat several pieces of the sausage their butcher makes. Best breakfast sausage I’ve eaten to date.

I’m wondering if I could take a deer cape and head onto the plane with me?...Maybe say it’s my Emotional Support Animal. 🤷🏽‍♀️😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Truly happy for you.

Paul,

Thank you..It’s been a good year with a lot laughs and cussing with some good buds. It’s hard to beat a hunting trip with Freddy3 and his clan of troublesome misfits.

Next week I’m headed to Pennsylvania to spend a week in the hardwoods with my brother Kingston.

I’m certain he’s gonna make sure I understand what cold really feels like. Hopefully, not the type of cold you and Deb enjoy...Please Fed-X me clothes! Grins

😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Awesome Mark! Dude, you’re having one hellofa hunting season. Congratulations! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice, sure is green down there this time of year

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You are killing it this year go beav go. 😎😉

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way to go Beav!! Congrats on a nice buck! Which shooting iron did you take on this trip?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Truly happy for you.

Paul,

Thank you..It’s been a good year with a lot laughs and cussing with some good buds. It’s hard to beat a hunting trip with Freddy3 and his clan of troublesome misfits.

Next week I’m headed to Pennsylvania to spend a week in the hardwoods with my brother Kingston.

I’m certain he’s gonna make sure I understand what cold really feels like. Hopefully, not the type of cold you and Deb enjoy...Please Fed-X me clothes! Grins

😎

Drunk, puking from excitement, bickering like Menstruating women and killing without discrepancy. Ok I will except the misfits Name tag.

Who pukes every morning out of excitement anyway. LOL.
It’s been a wonderful year thank good for family and good friends.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/26/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Truly happy for you.

Paul,

😎

Ha, ha Mark,

Make sure you take another picture of his "stand booties" !

& if you do end up borrowing them, don't take a picture with you in them !

You don't want my clothes, they smell like Deb !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.