Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Thats why when I hear all these leupold failures I’m like wtf??

Depends on what one defines as a "failure". It's subjective.

If I'm reading you correctly, what's important to you is that you got your animal. For many, this holds true and that's the end all be all. Period.

For me, there's been plenty of times I've killed, but the shot placement/impact wasn't where it was suppose to be. Aiming for the neck and perhaps hit it in the shoulder. Or the shot is a little too high, low, or to the right or left.... you get the idea. Shot is a bit off.

Afterwards do some checking on the range and find the POI/POA off. No discernible reason as to why. Rifle wasn't dropped, bumped, or subjected to vibration in truck bed or ATV, etc. Typically it wouldn't be off to such a large degree that it would make a big difference in the field at my normal hunting range, as vitals are a pretty damn big target.... but still, doesn't give me warm fuzzies or confidence in the equipment.

Chasing zero on Leupold's was always frustrating.

For me, it simply isn't acceptable. Yes, I got my deer/pig,bear, whatever.... but knowing it's not tracking true, zero retention questionable, etc... just leaves me with no confidence in the equipment. I expect and demand more.

That's why I no longer use Leupold (as well as other brands/ and or specific models).

YMMV

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
To the OP, I think you're over estimating SWFA. They may be popular on this site, but I have never seen one in the field when coming across other hunters.

Same is true of the Montana when it was the bees knees on here. Same with the now favored Fieldcraft. Still haven't seen one outside of a store.

Jud, wash your feet bud

I can say the same for Idaho. The campfire is a very small niche of shooters and scope "experts", it is doubtful that you would get more than the deer in the headlight look when mentioning them to the average shooter / hunter.

drover

Exactly

I think this is changing, albeit slowly.SWFA does not advertise their scopes like Leopold or vortex, so they don't get the exposure. Also most hunters don't know enough, or shoot enough to know that their scope is compromised.. With the advent of long range hunting\shooting more hunters are beginning to know what they don't know. I went through it myself about 8 years ago, and continue to learn alot. I shoot SS 3x 15 and 3x9._ Love em.,but I don't care who shoots what. Not my problem, not my sandbox. My Leopolds didn't hold up to dialing so I switched. No fanfare. Interestingly, SS scopes showed up multiple times in Eastmans a couple of editions ago when hunting gear was listed. Times they are a changin.

Last edited by atse; 11/26/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
! I love all your pictures of horns though I'd much prefer to see a pic of a frying pan full of steak with instructions to your favorite recipe. How that steak gets on your plate makes no matter to me.

Gemsbok filets (they call them "fillets"), Central Namibia. Course ground pepper and garlic salt. They are spectacular, especially when grilled over ironwood. Tikka 695 7mag, VX6 2-12x, 160 AB's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JGRaider; 11/26/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You spent the $$$ and traveled all that way with a leupold???? Oh uncle Johnny, you daredevil you!!!!😂😂

Cool pic, Oryx is damn fine eatin!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jud Manchild......4 times, 60 animals counting about 15 jackals. Baboons were too smart.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How many “scope failures” could be attributed to hamfisted scope rings, misaligned bases, or f’ed receivers?

.....just to push for another 20 pages. 😉

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
How many “scope failures” could be attributed to hamfisted scope rings, misaligned bases, or f’ed receivers?

Oh No....Here we go again. 🙄🍿😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Jud Manchild......4 times, 60 animals counting about 15 jackals. Baboons were too smart.

Nice work!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16bore

Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

We all have certain scope attributes that we value over others, and have different trade-offs that we're willing to accept.

Well said Jordan.

Attributes like weight, length, objective diameter, turret features, reticle styles, power ranges, glass quality, low light performance, eye relief, expected reliability, cost, and warranty differences combine to make ones scope choices a very personal endeavor.
And you have to match all that to fit the expected use to work in the majority of situations that may be encountered.
The chances of finding that perfect scope are rare (for me anyway) and just have to go with the ones that check the most boxes.
And everyone has to figure it out for themselves.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Thats why when I hear all these leupold failures I’m like wtf??

Depends on what one defines as a "failure". It's subjective.

If I'm reading you correctly, what's important to you is that you got your animal. For many, this holds true and that's the end all be all. Period.

For me, there's been plenty of times I've killed, but the shot placement/impact wasn't where it was suppose to be. Aiming for the neck and perhaps hit it in the shoulder. Or the shot is a little too high, low, or to the right or left.... you get the idea. Shot is a bit off.

Afterwards do some checking on the range and find the POI/POA off. No discernible reason as to why. Rifle wasn't dropped, bumped, or subjected to vibration in truck bed or ATV, etc. Typically it wouldn't be off to such a large degree that it would make a big difference in the field at my normal hunting range, as vitals are a pretty damn big target.... but still, doesn't give me warm fuzzies or confidence in the equipment.

Chasing zero on Leupold's was always frustrating.

For me, it simply isn't acceptable. Yes, I got my deer/pig,bear, whatever.... but knowing it's not tracking true, zero retention questionable, etc... just leaves me with no confidence in the equipment. I expect and demand more.

That's why I no longer use Leupold (as well as other brands/ and or specific models).

YMMV

So what do you use now, Fost? looking to scope a 340 Weatherby. The last one I had sported a Z6, but I don't want to go that route again. Their X hairs are too thin fo me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So what do you use now, Fost? looking to scope a 340 Weatherby. The last one I had sported a Z6, but I don't want to go that route again. Their X hairs are too thin fo me.

Nightforce NXS & SHV
Bushnell LRHS
SWFA SS
Schmidt & Bender Zenith & Stratos
Swarovski PH & PV

Needing a new scope for my .375 H&H and thinking about trying out a Trijicon Accupower or Accupoint

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Nightforce NXS & SHV
Bushnell LRHS
SWFA SS
Schmidt & Bender Zenith & Stratos
Swarovski PH & PV

Needing a new scope for my .375 H&H and thinking about trying out a Trijicon Accupower or Accupoint

I was looking at the Trijicon also. Looks well built. The crimson trace looks interested also I hear Tim O’connor is onboard with crimson trace now. He left Leupold awhile ago probably got sick of [bleep] scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite scope I own is actually a relatively recent manufacture Weaver 2.5x20. I find it to be very agreeable.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
My favorite scope I own is actually a relatively recent manufacture Weaver 2.5x20. I find it to be very agreeable.
I had those on my .30-30 and Ithaca 37 Deerslayer for years. Killed alot of deer with them and no issues after 400-500 12 gauge slugs..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I had those on my .30-30 and Ithaca 37 Deerslayer for years. Killed alot of deer with them and no issues after 400-500 12 gauge slugs..

This ones actually an aluminum tube and made in Japan. It's not the old K series.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
JorgeI,
I like thicker reticles also. But the Swarovski Z6 2nd generation reticle are definitely heavier than when they were first released. I have a few of the 1.7-10x42 with the 2nd generation Plex. They are one of my favorite 2nd Focal reticles. And I like heavier first focal, but few and far between are imported now.
I did buy and return a demo Z6 1.7-10x42 several days ago. It has the 1st generation Plex. When I first looked through it, I thought what the hell !! Significant difference between it and 2nd generation reticle. I was surprised there was still a first generation reticle made in Austria still in circulation. That reticle was unusable for me.

[/quote]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

This ones actually an aluminum tube and made in Japan. It's not the old K series.
Mine are Japan manuf. too. Still have them and they still work fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not overly fond of the NF exposed turrets nor their very thin reticle. I wanted to buy their 1-8 a while back but they only sold the capped elevation turret to the po-lice and other important people. So to hell with them.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am not overly fond of the NF exposed turrets nor their very thin reticle. I wanted to buy their 1-8 a while back but they only sold the capped elevation turret to the po-lice and other important people. So to hell with them.

The SHV with a Forceplex?

Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 43 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.