Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The wife and I have our favorites for visiting cities - but we lack going to the beach or lake for a quiet retreat.

What’s you favorite for this stateside ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The wife and I have our favorites for visiting cities - but we lack going to the beach or lake for a quiet retreat.

Lake Mattamuskeet, where all you will hear is the sound of thousands of birds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mattamuskeet

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image from coastalreview.org]
[Linked Image from research.duke.edu]

Last edited by Snyper; 12/01/19.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

fishin' is good..........

but you have to hike in..........or horseback.........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, right. A few thousand geese are as quiet as a freight train. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Summer lake, Oregon.

It don't get much quieter than this place!

Virgil B.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
If quite is all you want, my home town. Not only do they roll the streets up at night, some weeks they forget to unroll them. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
The Everglades are nice this time of year. Real quiet. smile

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/01/19.

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You might want to consider Lake Luer in NC. It is located in the middle of the mountains and close to other attractions if want hiking, boating, fishing, or just quiet time. There are several nice restaurants there and the people are very friendly. Good Luck and enjoy wherever you end up.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Alto Louisiana

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Instead of boring ol' mountains and lakes, check out the Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument and preserve in Idaho. Hundreds of square miles of lava flows, craters, and caves to explore. You can be out there for days and not see anyone. Just you and a few birds and coyotes.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Instead of boring ol' mountains and lakes, check out the Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument and preserve in Idaho. Hundreds of square miles of lava flows, craters, and caves to explore. You can be out there for days and not see anyone. Just you and a few birds and coyotes.

I've never heard of that place.It sounds awsome

The wife and I are planning a trip up to the white mountains in New Hampshire next fall. My biggest concern is its close proximity to Boston. They have a trail there that is rated one of the top 5 by National Geographic in the United States.

As for a quiet spot, I don;t think you have to travel too far from home to find something. For me, living in Ohio, if I want solitude , its the Upper Pennisula on the East Side (although its pretty much sparse population anywhere you go). Just find a random little town and pick your spot - camper, rental or motel.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/01/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I've never heard of that place.It sounds awsome

The wife and I are planning a trip up to the white mountains in New Hampshire next fall. My biggest concern is its close proximity to Boston. They have a trail there that is rated one of the top 5 by National Geographic in the United States.

As for a quiet spot, I don;t think you have to travel too far from home to find something. For me, living in Ohio, if I want solitude , its the Upper Pennisula on the East Side (although its pretty much sparse population anywhere you go). Just find a random little town and pick your spot - camper, rental or motel.
Here's a video of just one spot out there, called the King's Bowl. You won't get it much quieter than this. I should mention that August isn't the best time to be out there. It gets a tad warm.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=217&v=FuRDiiSlCck&feature=emb_logo[/video]

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota. You won't find better than this with the exception of Alaska.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Alto Louisiana

Y’all have to pipe in sunshine?

Stop lights?

Gotta go to Rayville for a loaf of bread?

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mattamuskeet

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image from coastalreview.org]
[Linked Image from research.duke.edu]

I'm from eastern NC, and I enjoy Mattamuskeet for what it is, but that would have to be about the most boring vacation spot in the world. There ain't chit to do there except watch waterfowl.
If the OP wants a laid-back beach setting, Ocracoke Island would be a good choice. Or that beach island down around Wilmington that only allows golf carts - can't think of the name of it right now.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have travelled around a bit and have found the timing to be almost as important as the destination. In the northwest, and all along the northern border states, early to mid-September is prime time. Crowds are thinned out, weather is great, mosquitoes are likely to be dormant, and highways are less travelled. We like to find National Forest campgrounds when we can and there are a bunch in Montana and Idaho which are always pleasant. Push the date into late September and October and we are in the middle of prime elk season so there is no travel! In November, the Southwest has so many potential destinations, it's hard to pinpoint one.
We like east Texas and have camped near Crockett a couple of times. Quiet and a nice little lake.
After Christmas, we have often camped in Everglades National park and still enjoy it; although the turning over of the campgrounds to private operators has kind of soured the experience with poorer services and surly employees. If you want some seclusion, a canoe trip on the inland waterway is pretty rewarding.
We look for out-of-the-way spots to stop and camp and do most of our travelling in the off season; partly because our own campground demands out attention in season and partly because most of my travel in the summer is to matches. Most places east of the Mississippi seem crowded to us and it is always pleasant to find pockets which are comparatively quiet. Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and the northeastern states all have places which are worth visiting in the fall. We'll never see it all! GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try leasing a houseboat in an area such as Dale Hollow Lake for the Fall color change.
With 600+ miles of shoreline you'll find a quite inlet to anchor off in and just kick back and relax.

[Linked Image from houseboating.org]

https://www.houseboating.org/Dale-Hollow-Lake-Houseboat-Rentals

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My backyard. 😎.
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Alto Louisiana

Y’all have to pipe in sunshine? NO but only comes in at high noon!

Stop lights? NONE

Gotta go to Rayville for a loaf of bread? Archibald has a store I think!

DF

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (257Bob, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,969
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.