Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I was looking into parts for my Hornady LnL Powder Thrower in Smokeless when I came across one built for Black Powder. It has an all brass drum and metering assembly. RCBS has one too for Black Powder and is brass. Both glass looks aluminum instead of plastic. But $100 - $150!!!

So I have an antique Redding just sitting on the shelf I thought about setting up for BH209 - 120 loads. It's just regular old school steel. Is there some reason why these others are brass other than maybe quick identification and different measuring meter? I could wipe it down with a dryer sheet. I can measure it until perfect using my gauge then just leave it set for making speed loads.

The only other thing I can think of for the use if brass is metal on metal spark, but I just don't see that happening. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
With BH209 it wouldn’t matter which powder measure you use, That stuff is HARD to set off in the First place, it is VERY SIMILAR to Smokeless. BH209 can not closely be compared to Real Blackpowder in ignition requirements, BH209 requires X amount of Compression on the Powder, And 209 Primers in hopes of Reliable ignition. Where Real Blackpowder on the other Hand is GONE IMMEDIATELY to the Tiniest of Spark, Even Static electricity.

LOL!! You think 100-150 is Spendy? Check These Harrels out, they are TOP OF THE LINE for Real Blackpowder, they also come at a PREMIUMS Price

https://www.buffaloarms.com/powder-handling-tools/powder-measures-accessories/harrell-s-precision

Last edited by Idaholewis; 12/02/19.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Hydrashocker
So I was looking into parts for my Hornady LnL Powder Thrower in Smokeless when I came across one built for Black Powder. It has an all brass drum and metering assembly. RCBS has one too for Black Powder and is brass. Both glass looks aluminum instead of plastic. But $100 - $150!!!

So I have an antique Redding just sitting on the shelf I thought about setting up for BH209 - 120 loads. It's just regular old school steel. Is there some reason why these others are brass other than maybe quick identification and different measuring meter? I could wipe it down with a dryer sheet. I can measure it until perfect using my gauge then just leave it set for making speed loads.

The only other thing I can think of for the use if brass is metal on metal spark, but I just don't see that happening. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

To better answer your Question, YES The Reason actual BLACKPOWDER measures are made of Brass, Plastic Bottles etc. is due to a Possible Spark

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
This thread is a Coincidence, i just pulled an Old Powder measure out yesterday, Cleaned it all up, I plan to set it up today to use with Swiss Real Blackpowder 👍 These Old BELDING & MULL Powder measures are pretty cool, and Very unique in Design. When you pull the Handle Only the Aluminum Block (Glass Front) Slides to the Right and Drops the Charge in the Micrometer Charge Tube that Slides in underneath in a Precise housing for it, This way the Weight of the Powder in the Brass Hopper has ZERO effect on the Weight, Where as Most Modern Powder Measures use a Powder Baffle in the Hopper to Try and Compensate For this

And Instead of a Round Drum Like ALL Modern Powder Measures that “Crunch” There way Through Course type Powder, This Old BELDING & MULL uses an Adjustable Micrometer Drop Tube that is Totally Separate, And Fully Adjustable to the 1/10th, PRETTY DARN COOL 👍 I have had this thing for Years collecting Dust, i Bought it from an Old Guy at a Garage Sale, he had bought it Brand New MANY years ago and never Used it
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Here is a neat write up on the Old BELDING & MULL Powder Measures.

https://revivaler.com/the-belding-and-mull-visible-powder-measure/

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.