Campfire Member
D
i'll supply the halftime entertainment while the teams are re-strategizing

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I admit to being new to the AR game having just put together a Grendel upper on a Colt lower but I can't seem to find any purpose in the original post. I think if a person isn't sharing something constructive but just trying to get other riled up then the post is jsut a waste of time and forum space. I guess I am pretty simple in that I just don't see the reson in slamming a cartridge like this. If a person doesn't like a particular round or how it performs, don't use it but don't spend a lot of energy and time badmouthing something that others use and appreciate.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by djones

That was some fine shooting.

I'm guessing it wasn't DLA.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
thanks. they never venture too far from the brush. it helps to know what they're going to do when the shooting starts.... you know... begin with the end in mind grin

here are some hilites from last month...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Very nice.

That's a lot of sausage.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djones

Dang!

That could pass for the work of Prince Whatshisface Von Albrecht on Wild Boar Fever! Nice shootin'.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night?
😛

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well my young daughter got her first deer today and with a 6.5 Grendel. It took more than one, but the first one was fatal the deer just didn't know it. Sadly we didn't prove whether the round was good past 200 yards. The first shot hit the on shoulder breaking it, angled through the lung, destroyed the liver and ended up somewhere in the paunch. That was a 100g NBT. 2nd shot was ~200 yards away and made soup of both lungs. 3rd shot from 80 yards and took most of the does head off when it lifted said head. In over 40 years of hunting I have seen deer do similar things with larger rounds.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well if you keep shooting, deer generally let you. We all take time to bleed out. Most folks don't get to see how long it takes a lung shot deer to actually die. The deer runs a bit and is out of sight.

Even a bang flop, if you watch the lungs rise and fall, it takes time.

Good job on your daughter! Congrats in order there.

We tend to just leave deer alone after the first shot these days. Maybe we should keep shooting but its how we roll.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks. Deer was still standing after the first shot and I didn't want to chase it, especially onto land we didn't have permission so took the 2nd shot. I didn't want her to see it suffer at all so did the finisher. But she made all the shots with just a little coaching from me. As she said, "Life is good." and "This is a good day." I think she is hooked.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats excellent!! And especially for kids, keep shooting till its down.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Awesome videos djones!

What scope are you using? I’m thinking of putting a night Vision scope on my new AR10 build..... your video is more encouragement. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
It’s likely some of us were shooting things with ARs before dla was born, but he could just be a late bloomer.....or never even bud out.

Just about every chambering in an AR that I know of fills some specific niche.....whether your’s or not, there’s a fit for it. I don’t stretch AR15s much for hunting, as I feel they’re compromised after 300, vs other hunting options. Doesn’t mean they won’t work.....they just aren’t as well suited for it as an AR10-sized semi or any other gun taking not-AR15 cartridge offerings. .....but sometimes it’s about seeing where you can go with a platform, and more power to them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve never used a 15 in 223 past about 556 yards on deer. And it worked very well on that shot too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there's any single absolute truth when it comes to hunting in general, the headstamp doesn't do the work. The bullet does. It's all about the bullet: which one, where it hits, and at what speed.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Sure....but that perfect bullet can’t defeat gravity, wind, or flesh without those caveats of velocity and accuracy.....so barrels, cases, and chambers are still the engines by which these great bullets do anything, and some have better rides than others,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those things definitely affect WHERE the bullet hits, and you have to factor in the Indian/arrow argument if you're going to break it down in depth...but that does not negate the simple fact that it's what bullet, where, and how fast. And if you want to make the argument that the Grendel can't deliver past 200 yards, you'd be making a very silly statement. It has its limitations for sure, but it sure isn't limited to inside 200 yards if you're using the right components, a decent rifle, and can shoot.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Sure....but that perfect bullet can’t defeat gravity, wind, or flesh

Except that's exactly what a better bullet does compared to a lesser bullet. A more aerodynamic bullet does a better job of resisting gravity and wind, and retains more velocity at distance. If that same bullet is designed to perform better on meat at that velocity, then it does a better job in flesh too. Headstamps have very little to do with it; putting the right bullet in the right place at the right speed is everything.

This argument is why I've lost patience with so many of the 6.8 SPC fans; so many of those guys want to argue that their favorite headstamp is best instead of considering what really matters. Guys who want to argue about a particular platform (for example - "the AR15 is only good to 300 yards") are not much better.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/04/19.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Y’all should read what I posted again. I mentioned ZERO about any particular headstamp, and I merely intoned the very same things y’all seem to be wanting to argue about.... just pointing out the obvious caveats of shooting. I have yet to offer anything against the Grendel or it’s bullets in this thread. Seems there’s some insecurity over something imagined.

Let’s put my whole quote here, not just the misused part needed to keep an argument going:

Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Sure....but that perfect bullet can’t defeat gravity, wind, or flesh without those caveats of velocity and accuracy.....so barrels, cases, and chambers are still the engines by which these great bullets do anything, and some have better rides than others,

Best bullet in the world just sits there on my loading bench, unless I strap it into a ride, and some rides are better than others....there’s lots of cases a bullet will sit in, and lots of powders to put behind it. NONE of that says bullets arent the part that does the important work outside the pipe. It’s just saying that you can’t completely ignore the ride. If you could, we’d be shooting 147s in a Grendel.....cuz they’re better bullets than a 123......for attempting to mitigate gravity, wind, and such. However, case and velocity matter just a little bit. Some packages work more efficiently together than others, is all.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/04/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. That's why W-H-E-R-E the bullet hits is important, as is the speed at which it hits.

FMTT.

Don't be the darkness.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.