Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve been lucky! I was paying attention driving down 290 about ten years ago. A car crossed over into my lane. I missed a head on collision by inches. The car behind me was hit, four dead. My boy and I would have surely perished if I wasn’t looking. He was asleep. It was sobering to see the aftermath of that collision.

Have you had a close one, accident, or health issues maybe?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I jumped a 12ft ditch with a palomino pony when I was 6 yrs old.

pony only made it half way 😄

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back tires broke loose on a curve doing 90-120 mph 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oversteered and it started to straighen out and broke loose the other way ok got this turn wheel other direction

Ended up in full blown spin out. Round and round she goes, see hiway, see rock wall, hiway, rock wall.

Came to rest in grass ditch and drove outa there back on my way to a fight.

16 year old gf was in car w me 🤦🏼‍♂️ Shoulda had my azz beat.

Looked at wrong end of a gun twice

Survived some hairy boat rides, where things could have gone ugly quick 🤷🏻‍♂️

Prolly only 4-5 times I really feel like I sideswiped death. Just enough to swap paint

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've had a few close calls in life...

something told me to pull off the highway, where I had been in between two other vehicles for a long while, on an old 2 lane stretch of US 52 going along the Ohio River in Ohio.
when I had the feeling of safety once again, I proceeded down the road, when the traffic came to a stop 5 miles down the road...there were multiple ambulances there, and a batch of cop cars, from both directions...

some drunk in an old Pontiac Catalina had crossed the lane at hgh speed, and took out the car that had been in front of me and the one behind me... killing all the occupants in both cars... 5 people dead...

quick reaction when I was in college, I jerked out into the median, in a construction zone,,,, I would have been the 4th car in a 7 car pile up when someone crossed the median out of control.. as it was, there was a 6 car pile up.... I think there was 5 or 6 dead in that one.. in vehicles both in front and behind me... I was in a VW Squareback.. no way me and my G/F would have made it out of that one....

Yeah, I really do believe in Guardian Angels....I've had too many incidences I wouldn't have made it out of in my life, if I didn't have one watching over me....and way too many really close calls....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cut and 18 wheeler trailer in half with an airplane!

Stopped a bullet when I was 19 years old!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 12/02/19.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the last year I came close at least two times maybe three between pneumonia and leukemia. I no longer have either. Have had many close calls. These are the latest.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Too many times to even remember them all.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heart attack.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
been shot at by a deer hunter, never want to experience that again

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Too many to remember, and some, unaware of I'm quiet sure, the reason I never started my own family, many more to come in those days.

Trump Won!
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yep, 1984 in a 77 Volare. Just barely dark and a car was coming at me in my lane on a curve of a two lane highway. Closing speed about 120. Six year old girl and baby boy in the back seat. Momma and I in the front.

I dynamited the brakes and drove it onto the shoulder. The left end of our front numbers missed by inches.

I got the car to a stop, and just sat there and trembled, and thought about what would have happened to my wife and kids if I had not managed to out drive that wreck. The one and only time in my life I have truly been scared.

The other car never even lit his brake lights. As far as I could tell, he was still in the wrong lane as he went out of sight in my rear view mirrors.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When some of our combat vets like Evil Twin show up, many of us will realize how lucky we’ve been

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fell 35' past the railroad tie retaining wall onto the beach between some rocks helping my farther-in-law cut down a big tree limb. I was on an extension ladder cutting with a chainsaw, but hadn't tied myself in to the tree. The big tree limb swung around like a pendulum and took out the ladder. My first ride ever in an ambulance because they would not let me move once I hit the beach. A few stitches where my head hit a rock and my collar bone broken in three places. The doctor said that people that slip in the bathtub break a collar bone. People that fall 35' die.

A drunk driver near head on out on the highway that took out the left quarter panel on my new truck or the cable clamp letting go on on my tree stand 40' up were a close second and third.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Held at gunpoint by an drunken old time Mexican bandito for the best part of an hour. This with fully loaded single action revolver, finger on the trigger and pointed at my head. Nature took it's course and when he staggered to the rest room to relieve himself I put my feet in the street pronto.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a black bastard open my door, told me to “give me your money or I’m gonna shoot your ass” He had pistol cocked, the hollow points I could see on sch side scared me. I have him my money. When I looked down, my legs were shaking.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Steel bumper fell off a truck on Interstate 95 while riding my motorcycle to Miami. Swerved & missed it by 2"
After heart pounding & few nightmares thinking what if I didn't miss it, I sold motorcycle and got out of riding.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have retired a half dozen guardian angels.
Starting at 2 years old , got stuck in quicksand in our creek. Was up to my chin before my mother and my aunt dug me out.
15 years old layed a yahama 250 down when a lady pulled out in front of me. Slid up under her almost touching the differential, praying the whole time she wouldn't see me and hit the brakes. I was going about 60.
18 to 20 we won't even think about.
So many over the years that my Angel has to have a medal for above and beyond.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a very dark highway north of Lubbock one night back in about '86, I was in unfamiliar territory. I was approaching a railroad crossing that was poorly marked, and I realized it was there just in time to see a train approaching, yet about 50 feet from the crossing. It woulda creamed me good had I not been on my toes.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just read my books.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Few years ago I was almost to the hunting cabin, it was dark. Traveling a re-paved country road that was in excellent condition, clear and dry, 45 mph. May have briefly looked at the radio or something and looked up to see a big doe, standing right in the middle of the lane, looking at my approach, deer in the headlights.

Was driving a Passat the time, the doe would have been right in my lap, probably would have killed me. I braked and turned hard right, pretty sure I put in the clutch. The vehicle fishtailed right around on that smooth, dry asphalt, ended up on the shoulder, pointing backwards. Could see headlights approaching a mile away. Pulled back in to the lane, turned around slowly and proceeded, nothing was damaged. Was lucky that night.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.