Print Thread
Hop To
D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just learned today Nikon one of the biggest rifle scope companies will no longer be making rifle scopes.To make matters worse they will no longer service any rifle scopes .I own around 35 Nikon monarchs and have used them 33 years with only one ever failing .This really sucks and will be a huge blow to the scope market .

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
This is surprising to me

Tater
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dgr416
I just learned today Nikon one of the biggest rifle scope companies will no longer be making rifle scopes.To make matters worse they will no longer service any rifle scopes .I own around 35 Nikon monarchs and have used them 33 years with only one ever failing .This really sucks and will be a huge blow to the scope market .

I called them a week or so ago and they told me they'd still warranty and service scopes.

Where did you see they won't service them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nikon still has a retail presence that many companies would admire. They are sold in all the major stores in my area. I wonder who fills the vacuum, maybe its bushnell again. If nikon is pulling the plug imagine how tuff the business must be for other companies.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dgr416: I own several Nikon scopes myself and am perplexed by this news (that I have been hearing for several weeks now!).
I have NEVER purchased a "new" Nikon scope, the ones I own were all bought second hand and at give away prices only.
Among the Nikon Rifle scopes I own are four Nikon Monarch 6.5x20's - I also own some Nikon 4.5x14 and 5.5x16.5 variables. I have had good luck with all of them but never use (trust) them in harsh weather Hunting conditions.
For these type Hunting applications I only use (trust) Leupold scopes.
I also own three or four pair of Nikon binoculars and have given several Nikon binoculars as gifts to young relatives.
I wonder if Nikon will be making spotting scopes and binoculars anymore?
I hate to see Nikon diminishing itself in the way it appears they are.
The VAST majority of Rifle scopes I own are made by the fine American company Leupold & Stevens!
Speaking of warranty by recently folded "scope companies" - my Varminting friend had a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) fail this summer while we were Hunting. Bushnell is supposed to be "warranty'ing" Weaver scopes so he sent it to them to repair a broken vertical crosshair. They called him back and relayed they could no longer repair Weaver scopes and they would send him a comparable Bushnell (4 to 12 variable) which they did.
I hope none of your many Monarchs need repair - and I am not sure whether or not Nikon will continue warranty service?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I can’t believe this, must not be profitable

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
More like they are caving in to the liberal lefties, like other companies are doing...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
nikon still has a retail presence that many companies would admire. They are sold in all the major stores in my area. I wonder who fills the vacuum, maybe its bushnell again. If nikon is pulling the plug imagine how tuff the business must be for other companies.

Much as you are going to hate it...

Vortex...

Sig to some extent, but Vortex has the most coverage of the current Nikon market share.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Speaking of warranty by recently folded "scope companies" - my Varminting friend had a Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power variable) fail this summer while we were Hunting. Bushnell is supposed to be "warranty'ing" Weaver scopes so he sent it to them to repair a broken vertical crosshair. They called him back and relayed they could no longer repair Weaver scopes and they would send him a comparable Bushnell (4 to 12 variable) which they did.

That's too bad about Weaver folding. I've owned a few few of them and always liked them as a middle-of-the-road quality scope, but they never did seem to get the market support that other scopes had. Not sure about down south, but one would have to actively look for a seller if you wanted a new one here in Canada. Not easy to find at all. All the ones I owned were bought used

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dgr416: I own several Nikon scopes myself and am perplexed by this news (that I have been hearing for several weeks now!).
I have NEVER purchased a "new" Nikon scope, the ones I own were all bought second hand and at give away prices only.

Among the Nikon Rifle scopes I own are four Nikon Monarch 6.5x20's - I also own some Nikon 4.5x14 and 5.5x16.5 variables. I have had good luck with all of them but never use (trust) them in harsh weather Hunting conditions.
For these type Hunting applications I only use (trust) Leupold scopes.
I also own three or four pair of Nikon binoculars and have given several Nikon binoculars as gifts to young relatives.
I wonder if Nikon will be making spotting scopes and binoculars anymore?
I hate to see Nikon diminishing itself in the way it appears they are.
The VAST majority of Rifle scopes I own are made by the fine American company Leupold & Stevens!
I hope none of your many Monarchs need repair - and I am not sure whether or not Nikon will continue warranty service?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yeah, that is perplexing. Companies depend on second hand, rock bottom purchasing to keep them going.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Antigun sentiment among the Japanese public. They tried to distance sports optics from their camera line and it didn't work IMHO.

D
dgr416 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have 35 Nikon monarchs scopes they are awesome scopes .I just bought a new 6×24x50 30 mm illuminated scope .I have used them 33 years .I can't see as well through Leopold .Bass pro shop said they wouldn't service them .This is a huge stock to me too .I have bought one a year .I used them in Alaska for 12 years through total bad conditions no problems .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 19 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,665
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.