J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by Judman
Just finished this one up
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Love it. I never shot an antelope but think the skull mounts for them go together like peas and carrots.

Yep my for skull mount for sure

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've been watching threads on maceration over the last few years thinking I'd try, but haven't given it a shot yet. I have a deer from a month ago that I'd like to do, but the weather turned cold. How cold can it get and the 2 or 3 aquariums heaters still maintain 85 or 90 degrees?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I never have been able too, matter of fact checked on 3 I got going now, they’re blocks of ice!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got 2 mule deer skulls going in the barn now. 2 days in and they are stinking pretty good. So 3 tank heaters in a cooler is enough for 48 degree highs and 28 degree lows in an unheated barn. If it gets too cold, process is delayed but starts up again quickly.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wrapping the container in fiberglass insulation will allow it to work down to pretty low temps.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about a pressure washer? Last year I dug out an old set of elk antlers that I'd like to put up somewhere and I soaked them for weeks with Dawn and water, changed the water a bunch of times and any time I wanted to spend an hour and not accomplish much, I could keep pulling off bits of what seemed to be layers of skin. Elk skin sure seems to be attached stronger than deer skin. Sweetness made me buy a pressure washer this summer to squirt stuff and naturally I thought about antler skull plates in the rotation.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
By just letting the rot happen, all the details remain. Folks like different stuff though. I would say soaking in dawn water killed off any chance you had of maceration cleaning it off. Embrace the stench and use only water, no additives. After the rot happens and skull is clean without having to pick a single thing off, then use a garden hose and rinse off. Then soak in warm dawn soap and degrease that way.

Assuming the elk head was skinned prior to attempting to rot? I find elk meat rots faster and cleaner than deer do.

Last edited by 30338; 12/03/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
By just letting the rot happen, all the details remain. Folks like different stuff though. I would say soaking in dawn water killed off any chance you had of maceration cleaning it off. Embrace the stench and use only water, no additives. After the rot happens and skull is clean without having to pick a single thing off, then use a garden hose and rinse off. Then soak in warm dawn soap and degrease that way.

Assuming the elk head was skinned prior to attempting to rot? I find elk meat rots faster and cleaner than deer do.

+1 except I use acetone for the degreaser then the 40 volume peroxide

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks for the guidance. I was considering just waiting till summer. Sounds like I should give it a shot with some heaters and insulation.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finished these up for a friend. Tank heaters, uninsulated barn and a cooler. Currently have mountain lion skull rotting. Of the many heads I have done, the mountain lion had the most wretched smell of any of them.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/URL]

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My old man decided to borrow my tank and heater to do an elk he killed last month. I gave him the rundown and told him to get the longest cord he could find to get it way away from the house.

He filled it up and tossed a couple road apples in, covered it up with a blanket and plugged it in. About 20 feet from his back door off the edge of the patio! It got epically ripe quick, mom was calling while we were in KS bird hunting wanting to know what in the heck had the whole compound smelling like a dead animal.

It’s been steeping for about two weeks and I suspect it’s done. Might have to go rinse it off this evening and see how it turned out.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Even if not done, pour out the rot somewhere safe and the odor will drop a bunch. Has to be about done though.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They look good, 30338

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I dunno wtf I do wrong, just pulled a bear skull that’s been sitting in water in a covered bucket since September, been in a bucket with a tank heater for 2 weeks, still got a long ways to go. It is worth it though, no better way to do it if you like detail

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ones that sit in cold water for a few weeks or months, have proven to be far more difficult for me to get done vs ones that either sit outside or are in a freezer. The cold water does something odd to the meat. Fresh head and 90 degree water, you're looking at 7-10 days pretty consistently.

Toss another heater on that bear. I've been running 2-4 these days with colder weather.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I dunno wtf I do wrong, just pulled a bear skull that’s been sitting in water in a covered bucket since September, been in a bucket with a tank heater for 2 weeks, still got a long ways to go. It is worth it though, no better way to do it if you like detail

Jud, the water is not warm enough.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This mtn lion has been in 90 degree water for 3 full days. It had eyes and brains still intact when dunked. Just flushed water, collected teeth and here is how it looks in the water again. Probably leaving it another week as I have heard these have a bit of grease in them. But it gives you an idea of 90 degree water and rot speed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll pull it out tonight and snap a pic. Got a big whitetail and antelope soaking in the green house too. Thanks Kurt

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Jud, the water is not warm enough.

Ya I need to get that bucket heater like you got lil buddy

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Think I should change the water Kurt or keep letting it stew??
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 57 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,819
Posts18,496,482
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.