Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
" And there was most definitely some pain with re-hab, to restore range of motion you have to break down some scar tissue."

That wasn't my experience. The scar tissue was removed and tendons were reattached during the surgery. I had almost no pain during rehab because my really hot therapist told me to let her know if I felt any pain. She said if you feel pain the tendons are being damaged. The physical therapy was just to restore range of motion and regain strength by gentle stretching/lifting light weights. If you don't use your arm like you normally would after therapy you will lose some range of motion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I don’t know how big your center is or the capabilities and motivation of the anesthesia department. But standard of course is a general anesthetic (go to sleep) but ask if a brachial plexus block is possible. It should be placed before you go to sleep. You’ll wake up with a numb shoulder and parts of the arm; the catheters can be left in up to a couple days.

If placed early and done right the pain will be greatly reduced even after everything wears off.

From someone who knows.

I had RC surgery with brachial plexus block. Went home with a ball slowly infusing marcaine. I never had much pain. My surgeon lectures all over the world. Last I heard, India. The day I had my surgery, a German ortho surgeon flew to New Orleans, was on the same surg schedule. He brought his ortho resident daughter from Germany to observe the surgeries performed that day.

Find a top surgeon even if you have to travel to a center.

DF

Savoie?

You guessed it.

DF

He did my last one. Dr Suri did my replacement. Things never got better. He then did a capsule release. Things never got better. I worked PT very hard. In fact, there were a few times I wore my therapists out. I saw Suri a dozen or so times following the replacement. He probably did xrays 6 times. He wanted to do yet another surgery. I finally decided to get a second opinion. I went to see Savoie. Within 5 minutes of being in his office, he identified the problem. Suri installed the wrong parts in the wrong place. Dr. Savoie didn't hesitate to say that. I need to do a malpractice suit, but it kinda goes against my character. Dr. Savoie did a clean up. Because of the misalignment, my glenoid component was slaughtered. He tore it out and reshaped the bone. It's still bad. The only other option is a revision.

Shoulder surgeries are tough. Much tougher than knees in my opinion. So is the PT. Following shoulder surgery, a recliner is a man's best friend. The most intense long duration pain I have ever experienced was following the replacement when the block wore off. Oh my hell it hurt.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have physical therapy on order but they haven't called yet..I told the doctor based on my wifes therapy I would not push it beyond whatever..Once that shoulder is pushed and irritated, It hurts the rest of the day and night making everything miserable..I don't really care what the therapist says,I will not make my life more miserable than it already is..LOL..I understand pushing some for range of motion but as it stands now,I have no problem with the way it is..NOT HURTING...The Cortisone shot did wonders so far...Just finished bringing in a Rhino load of wood and I feel just fine...

I really do not understand as most here have said,how and why the Therapist causes so much pain making life miserable when the shoulder hurts like it can..Once irritated,it hurts to chit/shower and shave...Yes I have an attitude towards any person that sets that puppy off,including the therapist..The wife used to come home from shoulder therapy in tears...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A good the tharapist works you "as tolerated".However with shoulder surgery one has to tolerate a little bit more than usual.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If your surgeon has a good relationship with PT and allows early PT post op, you don’t see adhesive capsulitis, or “frozen shoulder”. Those that wait too long before starting PT have a percentage of cases that need anesthesia to break up adhesions. It’s a trust issue. Done right, you have no post op injuries from PT and no unnecessary adhesions.

Start with the right team. It’s that first shot that’s so important, as with hunting.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And to hit it off with your PT, tell them you heard a nasty rumor. It was so bad you almost didn’t show up for the appointment. Tell them you heard PT stood for Physical Terrorist.

You may want to wait until after the session.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Absolutely brutal. No getting around it. I had complete cuff reattachment. In a recliner for 12 days/ nights. Very humbling when you are that helpless. Lived on pain meds for 5 days and then very seldom took them. Had the circulating ice pack on most of the time in the recliner. I really think that is what got me through it. Stay ahead of the pain for the first few days with the good stuff the doc gives smile.

Good luck!!!

Razorhog

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, it sounds like I need to plan on renting a recliner and one of those ice machines and have both of them waiting for me at home before I ever head in for surgery. Damn, I dread this.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Well, it sounds like I need to plan on renting a recliner and one of those ice machines and have both of them waiting for me at home before I ever head in for surgery. Damn, I dread this.

With a right RC, get a recliner with electric control. Most recliners have a right sided control lever. You’ll appreciate the ice machine. I borrowed one from a PT buddy. Bought the recliner.

Cat is the only creature sleeping in it currently. Not me! Renting may not be a bad option.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I already have you in prayer, bro! are you scheduled yet?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And to hit it off with your PT, tell them you heard a nasty rumor. It was so bad you almost didn’t show up for the appointment. Tell them you heard PT stood for Physical Terrorist.

You may want to wait until after the session.

DF

I preferred to call mine ...........................

Professional Torturer. grin

Licensed and fully accredited by the state to inflict pain. Had the paperwork right there on the wall for all to see!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kid0917

I already have you in prayer, bro! are you scheduled yet?

Thanks for the prayers. Not scheduled yet - I meet with the surgeon on Monday.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
With a good anesthesiologist you should be fine.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hitNpass
With a good anesthesiologist you should be fine.

Don’t forget to request a brachial plexus block.

DF

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by victoro
" And there was most definitely some pain with re-hab, to restore range of motion you have to break down some scar tissue."

That wasn't my experience. The scar tissue was removed and tendons were reattached during the surgery. I had almost no pain during rehab because my really hot therapist told me to let her know if I felt any pain. She said if you feel pain the tendons are being damaged. The physical therapy was just to restore range of motion and regain strength by gentle stretching/lifting light weights. If you don't use your arm like you normally would after therapy you will lose some range of motion.

This is correct! if your PT is causing real pain (not slight discomfort), go to someone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Today, there are essentially no reasons for anything other than orthoscopic techniques for most all rotator cuff surgery, unless the doc is not proficient or does not do them regularly.

Actually there are reasons for open surgery but it is avoided if possible.

Sorry, not buying that as a general comment; the need today is very rare.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Saddlesore, there is no invasive procedure that doesn’t carry some risks or side effects. But, very generally, here’s what likely what happened to you.

The nerves come out of the Cervical spinal column in various bundles break down from larger to smaller as they get peripheral (closer to the shoulder). They are enclosed in sheaths or fascia.

During the block after the needle punctures the sheath (following finding it in the first place) some of the local anesthetic invariably flows medially (toward the spinal column) as well as peripherally. This is where you need a skilled practitioner and why this block should be place while the patient is awake — to observe minute-by-minute effects.

As it flows medially it often knocks out the phrenic nerve on that side which causes a hemi paralysis of the diaghram. This is not totally uncommon and normally not a problem in a relatively healthy, young, non-smoking patient. The resp rate may be noted to increase a bit to compensate. This scenario is also one reason to do this while the patient is awake so this effect of the block if it occurs can be monitored, correlating it with the dose given. Obviously too great a dose given moving medially and affecting the nerves as they exit the spinal cord can even cause a “total spinal” in which case a patient needs to be resuscitated, perhaps even intubated, and place on a ventilator until the drug wears off. If done asleep under controlled ventilation, this scenario goes unnoticed until the patient comes out of the general anesthetic at which time you have serious problems.

Which brings up the issue of doing this block on the elderly, the obese, or any patient with respiratory compromise regardless of cause. I wouldn’t. I don’t know if any of these fit you but for example I generally wouldn’t perform this block on an over-sixty patient with a history of heavy smoking and at least some degree of COPD.

Nevertheless, on appropriate patients, and done with precision, it is a great pain-saver.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
George, how does this look to you?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm going to need some surgery to repair my rotator cuff that I mucked up a few weeks ago when I fell off a ladder. I'm not sure what's involved yet and I meet with the surgeon next week to begin the process of figuring out what's jacked up in there.
Every person I mention it to says that it's the most painful thing they've ever encountered.
Does anyone here have any experience with rotator cuff surgery and can share what to expect?

The surgery is absolutely painless! You will not remember a single thing.

The PT after is hell. Specially if you truly care and put forth 100% effort. But recovery goes fairly fast and you can and will make it through it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’m sorry Paul B. Not a radiologist or an orthopedist. So a “placement doesn’t look right” is as specific as I can be especially without the context of wider and more views.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,347
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.