Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Liver is too dark for my & my famalies’ taste.

The only way to cook Kidneys is to boil the PEEE out of em. grin. laugh

The tenderloin — under backbone — is the MOST tender meat of any WHOLE
Deer. I can’t imagine leaving the T L in the carcass !! crazy

Then again, “Yankees”.

Jerry
My venison all gets ground into burger and sausage these days anyway. It's all the same after that. We've eaten so much venison over the years that I've lost my taste for it and don't care for it plain. The burger gets used for chili or taco meat. The sausage in spaghetti sauce, lasagna or just patties. The spices disguise the venison taste nicely.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12/04/19.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
this is the deer hunting forum and obviously many of you are talking about deer. That's a whole different deal than an elk or moose. A big muley buck can be a weighty subject, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, have killed mule deer bucks as large as the average cow elk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"disguise the venison taste nicely" !

Really ?

I think you're doing it wrong !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
only way I have done it for 20 years

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It hasn't been 20 for me yet. I learned about 'gutless' here on the 'fire' after I joined in 2010.
It really is the easiest & fastest way (to me) and I do it most of the time.

However when our WX is between 30-50* F, I like to gut and thoroughly rinse them out and Let Them Hang 3-5 days.
I don't get to do that as often as I'd like on account of it being too warm.

Keeping the UNBONED (Un Deboned) meat on ice and water accomplishes the same thing but I prefer to let the WHOLE thing hang.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/05/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Really ?

wink
Think what you want. I don't care for the taste of venison anymore but I do like sausage.. If I'm going to eat plain red meat these days it's going to be beef.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gutless doesn't mean boneless. I've also gutted then quartered with the bone in just to allow it to cool quicker. I've left the hair on, skinned and put in game bags and also into trash bags into a backpack. no one way is better than another really, all depends on what you got and what works best for you. I wouldn't hesitate to hang one in a tree, skin, let cool and debone and pack out if I have the time. if its within a couple hundred yards of where I can drive I'll use a game cart. I once quartered a buffalo with just my edc knife. you do what you can with what you have. The key is to cool it to rigor before cutting, or it will be tough. if you plan on grinding it all anyway, you're gtg either way.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've done it 4 or 5 times with elk and twice on moose. Every one was extremely tough chewing. Boning meat before it goes into rigor will allow the muscle fibers to contract which makes them tough. Leaving the meat on the bone until it cools enough to go into rigor will prevent the contraction.

IMHO if you let it get into rigor you should let it get out of rigor before cutting further for sure. Get it into rigor and then cut it before it relaxes makes tough meat too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bkraft
I hadn't thought of the toughness issue. Thanks guys, I'm gonna rethink this.

No.The gutless method still allows for quarters to have their meat on the bone. I've used gutless on my 5 pt bull and last years caribou. Took the capes off both for should mounts too.
The last resort is removing the meat from the bone before aging. However terrain and distance may dictate otherwise.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

gutless is not deboned, except loins and backstrap and neck meat. You can debone, but don't need to unless saving weight.

We've gutless (quaters, loins, backstrap, trim everything else we can) t his year, toss in bags.

I haven't tried getting the loins out without gutting, but haven't done anything bigger than a whitetail. Once everything is "off", its pretty lite, I just slice open the body, dump out the guts, flip onto its back and take out the loins.

Bob,
After completing the gutless dressing, find the last rib and simply make a cut there.
You can then reach in and grab the tenderloin and work it out - usually with just your fingers and no knife.

I don’t bother with heart or liver on deer. I have friends that like elk heart however, so I’ll split the brisket with my hatchet and bring it out.
We don’t care for venison so much anymore - except the straps and tenderloin - I had this years blacktail made into garlic brats.... they’re mighty tasty !

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Really ?

wink

What? You dont put catsup on it too? Lol l

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.