Campfire Member
H
Today's Hollywood is all about aliens and flying people. all they do is garbage

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I can't help, except to agree, I have not seen a "new" film since 1992.

That's too bad because you have missed some very good movies in the past 27 years. I like old movies, but to not watch anything newer than '92 is sad.

Okay...here's how I see it.....one can watch an old movie where the cowboys have those sixteen shooters and the good guy always wins, or watch a modern movie where the cowboys are queers.

Not much of a choice the way I see it.

Here are a few good "modern" westerns: Open Range, Broken Trail, The Missing, The Three Burials of Melquiades

Other decent "original" movies since 1992:

Saving Private Ryan
Apollo 13
Pulp Fiction
Fury

Unforgiven came out 1992.....so I'm not sure if that counts

And no, I'm not saying I won't watch El Dorado, Gunfighter, Fastest Gun Alive or any other western; but there are good westerns that aren't 35, 40, 50 years old.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

To me the better known older movies were much better written and those made from published novels generally followed the book's details closer than modern day movies.

Compared to the old days there's many times more movies being made nowadays, though the majority of which don't stay long in theaters, even those that are hits.

Many movies made nowadays go straight to cable/satellite networks, streaming TV services and DVDs.

Always amazed at the number of unknown actors there are appearing in various roles in movies nowadays, too, some of which are quite good actors but rarely ever make it much beyond that level.

As to the ever increasing graphic violence, profanity and sex in modern day movies, like an 'Americanized' Thai immigrant acquaintance once said, "No sex, no violence, me no watch"...

Apparently the old 'boiling the frog' recipe seems to be working well.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I have noticed that the old movies have crisp dialog and use good film. In new movies the actors often mumble and the film is blurry.

And yes the plots used to be better.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
If I don't check on my dad every couple of days his brain will turn into styrofoam.

How many times can you watch war wagon, paint your wagon, JFC.

First place of my own I rented a room from an old farmer. He was a hard drunk. The bar used to call the house and make sure he got home ok thats how hard he drank. He watched nothing but John Wayne movies. Had them all on a rack on the wall on VHS and I'm not kidding when i say thats all he watched.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I have noticed that the old movies have crisp dialog and use good film. In new movies the actors often mumble and the film is blurry.

Leanwolf explained the sound. Used to be they'd record dialog with a boom mike and if the sound man couldn't understand the dialog he'd tell the director and they'd immediately redo the scene. Now they wear body mikes and no one listens until later so they don't catch bad sound recording until it's too expensive or impractical to bring everyone back to do another take.

There are still good movies being made today even if the big studios rely too heavily on sequels, prequels, remakes and reboots, plus CGI spectaculars where they spend all of their money on the CGI and don't have anything left to pay for good writing. A lot of smaller studios and independent film makers create stylish movies with a good plot and good acting. And don't think that everything made before 19xx was Academy Award quality. Lots of quickies made back in the day, they'd crank out a movie in two weeks sometimes. Amazon Prime and the smaller "free" streaming channels are great sources for most every B, C and D movie ever made.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
"Master and Commander" was made in 2003, and it was a GREAT movie!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Leanwolf explained the sound. Used to be they'd record dialog with a boom mike and if the sound man couldn't understand the dialog he'd tell the director and they'd immediately redo the scene. Now they wear body mikes and no one listens until later so they don't catch bad sound recording until it's too expensive or impractical to bring everyone back to do another take.

True, but not all the movies used boom mics either. The voices in Clint's 3 spaghetti westerns were all recorded post-production. This explains why some voice's tones and/or volumes will change mid dialog. Example: in For A Few Dollars More in the beginning when LVC is talking to the sheriff after getting the reward money about Manko (Clint). If you notice, the sheriff's voice changes.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Thank goodness for Encore Westerns, Audey Murphy and Joel McCray.

Oh yeah, and Yvonne DeCarlo! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Used ta be all bush.
Now its shaved.

Kinda a toss up which is better.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
watching Chino now. 1973 Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Other than noon news, I'll take retro TV to the new shows.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from gunaxin.com]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wish they would make a " Happy Days" movie.
Good clean fun at Al,s.
Fonzi jumping the shark tank!

Fast forward the story from that point a little...

Ritchie gets killed in Vietnam his 2nd day their as a cherry trying to lose his virginity to a buckethead whore who cuts his tallywhacker off with a straight razor.......

Then show the impact on everyone else back in home town USA when the truth comes out how ritchie bit the dust.

LOL!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are some good modern day westerns that are little known. The Salvation is not bad. Another little one called The Burrowers, is a weird but decent movie. Both came out very recently. I think both are available either on Netflix or Prime.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another that came out a few years back is Diablo, starring Clint's son, Scott Eastwood.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My issue with going to the pictures is there are other people there. I do not really like being around other people. Especially city types.

^^^This^^^

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Cowboy queers, daughter took son in law to see Brokeback Mountain without telling him. He was angry!

My wife made me see it with her when it came out. I too was pissed. But I stayed till the end. That movie truly sucked.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a ----."

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We should remember, a lot of the old movies were stinkers. We are picking out the very best.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.