Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14335246 12/03/19
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking to get one, it’ll be my first.

What’s the skinny?

Direct thread vs QD.

It’ll likely go on one gun and stay. Maybe two.
6.5cm.

Reading up on the Q Full Nelson. Ti. Welded baffles , no sleeve. Though it’s 9”.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prefer direct thread for bolt rifles. I have several, but they're older models and I'm not up on all of the new ones. I need another direct thread.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought the Silencer Co Omega 300, still waiting on release paperwork. It has both options available, but I think I'll prefer the direct thread option the most. The Sparrow I purchased at the same time is direct thread only.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
This was my first season hunting with a suppressor and I don’t think I can go back. Hunting with my kids not having to wear hearing protection made life a lot easier. Animals react differently to the sound of suppressed gunfire.
I went with a YHM Resonator which is QD. I move it from a bolt gun to ARs. At ~$75 for extra QD mounts it isn’t cheap but has been very versatile. The total price of the Resonator including stamp and FFL is less than the Q.

My next one is for a 22. They’re like lays potato chips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use mine on a couple of bolt rifles and went direct thread.

Upsides are you'll enjoy shooting with it more than un-suppressed and probably shoot better due to less noise and recoil. Less noise when hunting is a good thing too. If nothing else, it will help preserve your hearing over the long-haul when you start figuring the shots you take while hunting without hearing protection in.

Downside is a suppressor makes your barrel that much longer so you will likely want to cut some inches off your barrel to accommodate and regain some balance.

Last edited by Lonny; 12/03/19.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
This was my first season hunting with a suppressor and I don’t think I can go back. Hunting with my kids not having to wear hearing protection made life a lot easier. Animals react differently to the sound of suppressed gunfire.
I went with a YHM Resonator which is QD. I move it from a bolt gun to ARs. At ~$75 for extra QD mounts it isn’t cheap but has been very versatile. The total price of the Resonator including stamp and FFL is less than the Q.

How are you liking that Resonator? I have one in jail right now, and I can't wait to get the darn thing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the SilencerCo Omega and Harvester suppressors for bolt action rifles. I like Dead Air Sandman suppressors for semi-auto and full-auto rifles. SilencerCo does a great job of giving the customer options and the Omega is configurable at both ends albeit a bit heavier than the Harvester. I have quite a few suppressors and prefer direct thread for any that are dedicated to a particular rifle. For QD I like the Dead Air system the best and they offer a nice adapter to allow you to use SilencerCo suppressors with their KEY-MOD QD brake. I despise the AAC 18, 51 and 90T interface and so far have modified one of my four AAC suppressors to use the KEY-MO from Dead Air. The good thing is that you don't have to get stuck into one configuration with the Omega or Harvester for that matter. My one complaint with the Harvester is that the brake on the end is fixed, unlike the Omega where you can change end caps, add/remove the brake etc.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
M
MLC Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Whatever you order planning on waiting a year to get. They cashed my check on March 4 2019 and still hasn't showed up. I went through SilencerCo I figure it will probably show up next year sometime.

Last edited by MLC; 12/03/19.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

How are you liking that Resonator? I have one in jail right now, and I can't wait to get the darn thing.

I’m loving it. I haven’t shot it side by side with any others but it has performed as it should. I haven’t found a downside. The sub $400 price and versatility sold me on it. There are probably better suppressors but none that are two or three times better as their price would indicate.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Direct threads...

DON’T skimp. With the time and fees wrapped up in getting one look at it as a lifetime investment. Spend your money with one of the seasoned, established companies and avoid some possible future headaches.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Direct thread. Look at the Gemtech Tracker .30. It's lightweight and really does a great job on my Sporter weight hunting barrels. 6.5 CM-300 win mag.

If you want heavier, look at Innovative Arms LDSP. Does a great job on my heavy barrels. Full auto rated too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What, like 10 seconds to unscrew one? To each his own, but, I can't see that ever being an issue and I Iike not having any more gadgets involved. On my Omega, the base plate often wants to unscrew from the body easier than the base plate from the barrel or adapter. So it sometimes takes 15 seconds. Probably need to torque the base plate onto the body a bit more.

BTW it's so damned effective, just amazing. Ridiculous they're restricted.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have suppressors made by SilencerCo, AAC, Thunder Beast and Degroat. For versatility and over quality, the SilencerCo Omega 300 is tough to beat. I can use the direct thread backplate to attach it to bolt guns and in under about a minute I can convert it for QD use on semi-autos. I have recommended this model to several friends due to its versatility and all of them have been pleased with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started off with my Harvester and Omega in DT configuration then gave the Area419 adapter/suppressor mount system a try. It's worked out well.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joshf303
Direct threads...

DON’T skimp. With the time and fees wrapped up in getting one look at it as a lifetime investment. Spend your money with one of the seasoned, established companies and avoid some possible future headaches.

That’s what I’m thinking. The Q is more than the others. $850.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Another vote for the Silencerco Omega here...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
MLC Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have heard good things about the Dead Air Sandman.

Last edited by MLC; 12/04/19.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m thinking hard on pulling the trigger on one of the smaller 556 cans. YHM Turbo, Gemtec Trek, or the Optimus Micro are the ones I have been considering. It will primarily live on my 18” AR but probably also end up on my 222 mag and 17 Rem some. I wish it had a big enough hole for my 7 TCU but I don’t want the size and weight of bigger cans, I don’t think.

Anybody have experience with any of these? Primarily be used for varmint calling and shooting pigs, though 2 bucks did fall to the AR this year.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Spectre II and a Harvester and prefer direct thread over adding weight and extra parts.

Shot a doe this year around 50 yards with three other doe and a buck within a 100 yards and all four ran 20-30 yards, stopped and had a look of WTF rather than hauling A$$ to another county.

I have considered cutting the brake off the Harvester, it serves no purpose to me other than adding another inch to the OAL.

The Omega 300 was high on my list for a shorter and lighter suppressor for the FC but I decided I did not need "configurable" since I would never use the brake. I was also looking at the Sandman K and S but bought a Nomad 30 that should be here this summer or sooner. I compared a bunch of brands and models and chose the Nomad that is short at 6.5", reasonably light at 14oz but larger in diameter for increased volume. It also uses the Sandman quick detach system and front caps, I won't bother with the quick detach system but I would use a smaller cap.

I have a PSA 10.5" the Nomad will be stored on while not in hunting mode.

Review,

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/10/11/dead-air-silencers-nomad/

[Linked Image from attackcoptercom.files.wordpress.com]

[Linked Image from thefirearmblog.com]

The suppressed FC 6mm is currently my favorite rifle, until I get another in 22-250 and 6.5mm and then I will have to flip a coin.

I would be a happy mfk'r if I never had shoot a centerfire un-suppressed the rest of my life..........

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Dave

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,513
Posts18,490,790
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.