Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A long time ago, around the mid 1970's IIRC, My hunting partner and I helped with a round up and branding One of the other cowboys did the job of nutting the calves. When we were al done my buddy and I went and did a bit of pheasant hunting. What is interesting is what happened after the hunt.
We were over by the corral and got to talking with a 90 something year old cowboy. He noticed my Ruger .44 mag. and asked if I had an empty chamber under the hammer. Well, the gun was a new model so I said no i didn't. I got one of the most beautiful ass chewing I've ever had the pleasure (?) of getting and when he finally ran out of gas I explained that it was a "new" model and was safe with 6 in the cylinder he just shook his head and said the did not believe that to be true. I found a fair sized rock and pointed the gun at the ground and gave the hammer a solid whack. Of course nothing happened but for some reason after that I now load even a new model Blackhawk with the hammer on an empty chamber. I also own old model Rugers and a few Colt single actions so just figure it's probably a good habit to maintain. I wish I could have talked with that old cowboy. What tales he could have told. He passed about 6 months after I met him. One old timer I met when I lived in Winnemucca was just a kid at the time playing hooky with his pals. They actually witnessed Butch Cassidy and his gang rob the bank. That old boy is long gone too. I worked part time with his nephew who was the local gunsmith.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tracks
I used to watch the show "cops" and could hardly believe how many officers, especially from the eastern areas didn't know how to clear a recovered weapon.

Almost painful to watch.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Facts are most people that own guns are bad shots, this includes those whose jobs require them to carry

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'm thinking Elmer Keith was a pretty good shot.

He was.

Lots were. Including me, when I was young, dumb, and cowboying.

I could already shoot VERY well. But I didn't practice often. I had always shot well, even as a very young boy.

When I traded a cold horse for a warm patrol car, and eventually ended up at the range, they all wanted to know who taught me how to shoot...

Nobody. I just taught myself.

Then the more I shot, the more I learned, and took a bit of coaching and went on to shoot competition in a couple of different shooting sports, and even on to shooting professionally after competing.

Practice and training help. But unless you have a God given ability, you probably won't ever be anything but an avg. marksman.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Off topic, a new thing on the 'fire, I had been around firearms all my life. There were boots that could out shoot me that had never seen a rifle until basic training.

It's still safer behind me than in front however.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Facts are most people that own guns are bad shots, this includes those whose jobs require them to carry

yup, but certainly no one here...

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
At the OK Corral, about 30 shots were fired, 2 men were killed and 3 wounded IIRC. They were as close as 6' apart. That's a lot of lead in a very tight spot yet only 2 died. That's not the best shooting I've ever heard of.

I’ve been to the OK Corral. I was amazed at how small it was !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'm thinking Elmer Keith was a pretty good shot.

And I’m betting he was a pretty fair hand at cowboying too.
He certainly spent quite a bit of time mounted on a good horse from what I’ve read.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 65 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.