Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Sure....but that perfect bullet can’t defeat gravity, wind, or flesh without those caveats of velocity and accuracy.....so barrels, cases, and chambers are still the engines by which these great bullets do anything, and some have better rides than others,

FYTT

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/04/19.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you chronically obtuse, or just having an episode?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by djones
i'll supply the halftime entertainment while the teams are re-strategizing

That was some fine shooting.

I'm guessing it wasn't DLA.

Nope.they do well to miss the floor when pissing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Awesome videos djones!

What scope are you using? I’m thinking of putting a night Vision scope on my new AR10 build..... your video is more encouragement. 👍

thanks. i'm actually using a thermal scope, but here's a pic thru nite viz.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

it's good but needs moonlight or an ir light on dark nights to really see well. the thermal scope is a trijicon mark 3 with 4.5x magnification. they have digital zoom, but the screen blurs the more you magnify it... like enlarging a 640k pic on a computer screen.

don't mean to crap on the grendel craping thread, but since we're on the subj of therm... here are a few shots from the other night.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Do you always project, or just have reading comprehension issues? LOL

I don’t mind having a discussion, but if things keep being misrepresented or run away on some logical fallacy, then you gotta repeat things/refer to the facts sometimes.

Great videos

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/05/19.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by djones

don't mean to crap on the grendel craping thread, but since we're on the subj of therm... here are a few shots from the other night.

I have to admit, I'm pretty jealous of your thermal scopes. I'd like to pick one up someday, but it's not in the cards right now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The point I'm trying to get across here is that my statement needs no further qualification. It's "what bullet, where it hits, and at what velocity." No modification to that thought is necessary.

I'll agree with you in that having a good cartridge and a good platform, along with attendant skills makes putting the bullet where you want much easier, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's damned good shooting vid a!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rebarreled Grendel, ready to test.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm going to say that a different way to say it is use the bullet inside its design parameters. There are many parameters. Its why I can shoot subs in the whisper to 200 plus yards and they always expand and cut a big hole. Change bullet, everything changes.

The ability to hit is knowledge and practice. Some rounds make it easier, but generally speaking the only ways it gets easier is louder and more thump on the shoulder in general. If comparing apples to apples.

Regardless DLA is a fool.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL...see, we’re just saying the same thing from different angles.

It get wrapped around purposes and packages with most of my rifle looniness......then I end up trying to do stuff outside what I had in mind for something, just because?.....just because easy isn’t as fun to shoot sometimes as the fringes.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/05/19.
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rost495
I'm going to say that a different way to say it is use the bullet inside its design parameters. There are many parameters. Its why I can shoot subs in the whisper to 200 plus yards and they always expand and cut a big hole. Change bullet, everything changes.

The ability to hit is knowledge and practice. Some rounds make it easier, but generally speaking the only ways it gets easier is louder and more thump on the shoulder in general. If comparing apples to apples.

Regardless DLA is a fool.

Yes, to the mental midget, your post sounds correct.

Just because Chuck Norris can be deadly with a BB gun doesn't mean a BB gun is the right tool. Now if you strain real hard, you might understand.

The 6.5 Grendel is a shlt cartridge much past 200 yards.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Djones, Thanks for your reply and the great videos. 👍

PS...good shooting.....what caliber?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
LOL...see, we’re just saying the same thing from different angles.

It get wrapped around purposes and packages with most of my rifle looniness......then I end up trying to do stuff outside what I had in mind for something, just because?.....just because easy isn’t as fun to shoot sometimes as the fringes.

Kinda sorta.

I'll admit my process of choosing rifles and bullets is a bit chaotic. I might get a hankering to acquire a rifle chambered in some particular cartridge and then shop for an appealing rifle, or I might get a hankering for a particular rifle and then shop for it in an appealing chambering. But however that goes, I always have a purpose (for justification's sake) in mind and a bullet suitable for that purpose. I'm stubborn about bullets and won't abandon a choice until and unless it frustrates the devil outa me. I'm sure everyone has a fairly unique approach to all that.

I'll betcha we fully agree that DLA is completely FOS, though.

Don't be the darkness.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the Grendel cant get it done past 200 yards it is a product of the shooter not the cartridge.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

What Djones is showing vs. saying is the 300 Hamm’r is pretty much out performing many of the AR chamberings - maybe even the 6.8 SPC... not to mention the Grendel.

The Hamm’r mirrors the 30-30 performance pretty closely, it’s more the terminal performance of the rig that people like.
Frankly the 6.8 SPC does a lot more meat damanage that I thought it ever would, so I’m betting the 300 Hamm’r is really a better round for under 250.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RMiller2
If the Grendel cant get it done past 200 yards it is a product of the shooter not the cartridge.

Thats actually an intelligent question.

The answer is both and more of course. Real hunting shots are a compromise, i.e. not as perfect as shooting at paper from a bench. Bullet placement is often "off" a little from ideal because (a) the animal doesnt cooperate and (b) the hunter can't break the shot nicely. I'm going give a wild-ass guess that 80% of hunting shots are the "compromise".

Empirically, we know that increasing the impact velocity of a bullet increases the damage it does to the animal. And when the velocity exceeds a certain threshold, the damage is more than just the frontal area of the bullet crushing tissue. This isn't news, we've been using this since 1925 when the 270 Winchester was introduced.

But today folks are trying to wring all they can from "wimp" cartridges - cartridges limited by AR-15 design constraints. And these cartridges aren't even 30-30 power level at the muzzle. So these cartridges don't provide much "extra" to help make a quick kill with the "compromise" shots. Any margin the Grendel had is pretty much gone much past 200 yards, and "compromise" can mean lost animals. OTH, the 270 Winchester for example, will still turn a deer to mush at 200 yards - offering much more margin for those "compromise" shots.

Yes there are stories of an Inuit grandma taking a polar bear with a 22lr. But the are a lot more stories of Inuit's encased in bear scat. "Use the right tool" - Anton Chigurh from 'No Country for Old Men'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla

Except that it was, you know, a statement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many impressive kills, on elk and smaller game, beyond 400 yds IIRC, on the Grendel forum........

Me, I would limit to 300 yds on game larger than deer, 400 on deer. Bullet selection, and placement matter, as always the case with any round.

Want more speed, pick a different round, very simple.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by dla

The answer is both and more of course. Real hunting shots are a compromise, i.e. not as perfect as shooting at paper from a bench. Bullet placement is often "off" a little from ideal because (a) the animal doesnt cooperate and (b) the hunter can't break the shot nicely. I'm going give a wild-ass guess that 80% of hunting shots are the "compromise".

Empirically, we know that increasing the impact velocity of a bullet increases the damage it does to the animal. And when the velocity exceeds a certain threshold, the damage is more than just the frontal area of the bullet crushing tissue. This isn't news, we've been using this since 1925 when the 270 Winchester was introduced.

But today folks are trying to wring all they can from "wimp" cartridges - cartridges limited by AR-15 design constraints. And these cartridges aren't even 30-30 power level at the muzzle. So these cartridges don't provide much "extra" to help make a quick kill with the "compromise" shots. Any margin the Grendel had is pretty much gone much past 200 yards, and "compromise" can mean lost animals. OTH, the 270 Winchester for example, will still turn a deer to mush at 200 yards - offering much more margin for those "compromise" shots.

Yes there are stories of an Inuit grandma taking a polar bear with a 22lr. But the are a lot more stories of Inuit's encased in bear scat. "Use the right tool" - Anton Chigurh from 'No Country for Old Men'.

That's a great lecture on hunting ... from a guy with no apparent hunting experience. I'm doubting he even has much shooting experience at this point. My guess is he's one those basement dwellers that's too fat to get off the couch, and everything he "knows" is just what he's read online.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (163bc, 1minute, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.