-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mountain Tactical Institute offers sport-specific training programs. They are fairly reasonably priced and testimonials are sound. I'd bet some here have tried their products.

I'm looking for something beyond the standard strength-cardio training I've been doing for 20+ years. I've been experimenting over the past 2-3 years with various training methods/concepts/programs. I've seen improvements in my functional strength as applied to mountain hunting but at 56 things are harder than they were in my 30s and 40s. This year, I was pretty worn down by Day 3. Covering 3+ miles to my hunting spot in shin to knee deep snow up 1500 vertical feet was tough. I left on Day 4 because I didn't think I could get an elk out by myself under those conditions in the time I had left. I hated that feeling and conclusion - and plan to work on it over the next 10 months.

Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I will check them out. Hunting the bigger stuff is a year round deal. I was thinking of doing a go-ruck “heavy” event next May in Detroit. Honestly I would have no choice but to be in top shape and lots of crossover to hunting.

Originally Posted by bwinters
Mountain Tactical Institute offers sport-specific training programs. They are fairly reasonably priced and testimonials are sound. I'd bet some here have tried their products.

I'm looking for something beyond the standard strength-cardio training I've been doing for 20+ years. I've been experimenting over the past 2-3 years with various training methods/concepts/programs. I've seen improvements in my functional strength as applied to mountain hunting but at 56 things are harder than they were in my 30s and 40s. This year, I was pretty worn down by Day 3. Covering 3+ miles to my hunting spot in shin to knee deep snow up 1500 vertical feet was tough. I left on Day 4 because I didn't think I could get an elk out by myself under those conditions in the time I had left. I hated that feeling and conclusion - and plan to work on it over the next 10 months.

Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by Calvin; 12/05/19. Reason: Heavy event
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you dont mind, I'd like your opinion after you check them out. I'm probably going to give it a try. I've spent $200 on worse things. The only caveat is waiting 10 months to see it it 'worked'. If you tried it and in May said it sucked, I'd be way better off grin

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m 53 now and this year was a challenge. I definitely need to step up my game. The last few years have been a downhill slide when it comes to fitness. Starting with diet, then back to lifting and cardio. Probably do more cycling than running to help keep my knees from aching.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks.

In "shin to knee depth snow", snowshoes help quite a bit.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I used one of their previous hunting programs when I drew a Mtn Goat tag 6 years ago and they were still called Mountain Athlete. It was probably some of the best shape I've ever been in for that type of hunt, but I already had an extensive background in mountaineering and backcountry skiing so I wasn't starting from zero. And I wouldn't recommend starting one of their 6 week programs from the couch, that would hurt and you won't get as much out of it. I used to have a subscription to the site and have used their ski programming a bunch. I don't have a subscription anymore but still incorporate a lot of their stuff at different times of the year.

Last edited by PitkinCO; 12/05/19.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is good info. I'm not starting from scratch and think that is good advice in general when looking to up the training ante.

Thanks!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks.

You can buy the best programs in the world, if you don't do your part none of them will work. With that said I would steer you to a class/group workout over some program you are on your own to motivate yourself. Crossfit and Orange Theory are both great. You get to know the others in the class. You do team workouts from time to time. It becomes like a family. Of course there are Crossfit Boxes and there are great Boxes. I have found that to be true with Orange Theory as well. I am sure MTI's program is legit, I personally have never done it. If you are a self "motivator" than it may very well be a great option. Another thing is with CrossFit you don't have to go to a Box. You can go online and pick a WOD and do it at home if you have the required equipment. The great thing about CrossFit is for a lot of the WODS you don't need a lot of equipment.

Another thing to think about is resistance band training. Cost almost nothing and can be done anywhere.

Last I will leave you with this. www.02trainer.com https://youtu.be/0tyCNhvxJIs

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.