Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by srwshooter
go to any farm store and get one.we use them to pull deer up on the steep mountains we hunt . we always carry a few hundred feet of rope on our atv's.

I hadn’t thought of that, we have a couple places that would be hell to get a deer out of.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have some incorrecct terms here. The OP photo isn't a snatch block. Neither is 700LH's photo. MtnBoomer's photo IS a snatch block. A single or set of pulley wheels is a block, as in block and tackle. A snatch block is a version of that where the block can be easily opened so the rope can be put over the wheel without threading it through the block. This photo's a good example. MtnBoomer's photo is a 2 wheel version of this.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

This one doesn't look like snatch block but it is. The pin through the top holes can be easily slid out, the rope laid on the pulleys, and the pin replaced.

[Linked Image from image.ec21.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

If that would just fit over a gooseneck ball in the bed of my truck, I would try it. Insert into gooseneck port, attach rope to elk, snatchblock and other end to tree or anchor- drive truck forward.

I have been looking for a capstan that would fit in gooseneck receiver but short of having one turned, have not perfected a system.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There is a scene in Fitzcarraldo of a ship being pulled over mountain

Interesting physics

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

If that would just fit over a gooseneck ball in the bed of my truck, I would try it. Insert into gooseneck port, attach rope to elk, snatchblock and other end to tree or anchor- drive truck forward.

I have been looking for a capstan that would fit in gooseneck receiver but short of having one turned, have not perfected a system.

Those come in various sizes and capacity. You just need to check the size of the holes. Here's one from Amazon. Someone in the Q&A says it fits his 2 5/8" ball. SNATCH BLOCK

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One of those small Kito LX chain hoists is a better solution than a series of pulleys. With the handle collapsed they'll fit in a glove box and you can pull 1,000+ LB as far as you have chain to reach.

This little Nip can carry one on his hip and it enables even someone as wee as him to hoist 0.5T.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I call them a cable jack, more properly a ratchet hoist. For a short distance they have a lot of pull.

My father liked a rope block, and tackle.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
go to any farm store and get one.we use them to pull deer up on the steep mountains we hunt . we always carry a few hundred feet of rope on our atv's.

Heard tell of this dude had himself an UBER Yellow Avalanche with a even more UBER wench attached, folk say he had more'n 500' of cable on that wench!
That's what folk said anyhow.

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The term used for a device that slips onto then holds tight upon a rope or cable is a______? Those were the first things I heard called snatch blocks, no pulley, and not the correct term.. .

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Warn Drill Winch that works great for this kind of job. Light weight and pulls 400 pounds.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
The term used for a device that slips onto then holds tight upon a rope or cable is a______? Those were the first things I heard called snatch blocks, no pulley, and not the correct term.. .

I think you're talking about a cable grip. I don't know if they'd work on a rope, though. They're made for steel cable.

[Linked Image from kleintools.com]

― George Orwell

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah. Only seen for cable, just a wag there's rope versions. Used them working on commercial overhead doors.

So block vs sheeve?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Technically, the sheave is just the wheel. The whole setup is a block. Pully is used for either so it's meaning isn't fixed. This is kind of like the F'ar talking about clips, magazines, bullets, and cartridges.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You never see an industrial crane pulling a heavy load with a single cable. It is the same principle pulling your deer up by yourself. I've got winches, cable pullers, or a chain fall too, but out in the woods, I have a two and three pulley set in my pack that I bought at a sailing store that is strong and light weight. It took me two and a half days to quarter and pack out a big buck and I'm sure that if it hadn't been pulled up into a pine tree with those pulleys, the wolves would have helped me eat it. I don't know where the weight ends up going, all I know is that it works really well.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At what age do I switch from doing everything the hard way using brute force to The Smart Way? I feel like I must be getting close.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They say that in bear or wolf country, hang your game at least 10' off the ground. I wonder if anyone who writes that stuff has actually tried to get an elk 10' up a tree.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This one must have a pretty good snatch block what with runnin around with no shirt on and all

Originally Posted by hanco
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by achadwick
Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about condoms. Never mind.

I thought it was going to be about some new way to cook chickens.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
I don't know where the weight ends up going, all I know is that it works really well.

It's a way to make a lever out of rope. Just like a lever, you exchange weight for distance. You have to pull twice as far, but it feels like it weighs half as much.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What a great thread about snatch blocks condoms and winches wenches. The 'fire never ceases to amaze!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! smile

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 55 invisible), 3,186 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,794
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.