Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Being from CA, I only drive in snow maybe once every ten years.

Honda Accord, not a lot of room between tire and wheel well, I’m guessing I need some sort of cables?
You boys in snow country have any recommendations for the best system?

Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if they still make them but when I used to travel the Interstates a lot I had the ones made of plastic bars and nylon straps. Easy to store and put on. legal when you hit a chains required area. And good enough if you drive carefully.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I live in Michigan, drive in the snow and ice all the time. Only things you need to drive in the snow are good tires, and be smart enough to drive for conditions.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a set of these for my van but in 11 years since I bought it, I've never used them. They also fit my camp trailer so I carry them in there in case I get nasty roads during hunting season. I've never needed them there, either, so they're unused. I don't know how durable they are.
They can be pulled very tight to protect delicate stuff under the wheel wells. They're quite easy to put on once you've tried it a couple times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I like a heavy twist link with the cam over adjusters.

Then put on a bungee "spider" to keep it all tight.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Those are the best but he needs a set for a small car with no room under the wheel wells. I assume it's for highway use only.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Maybe stay home with your Honda? grin

Tire studs would be the best I think in that situation.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Konig's self tightening chains are what I use on my Taco and camper and are the best I have seen.

I don't know if they make anything that will clear on an Accord. Probably not. My only suggestion there is that someone will try to sell you cables since they are more likely to clear your suspension, but skip those as they are all junk. With only a little spinning they'll lose what little traction they had when they went on.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not much room for chains on the newer rigs. Four wheel drive, and good tires, and drive slow.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

This. And chain up all 4 wheels if it’s that bad. I run snow tires in the winter, Michelin LTX the other 6 months.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I live in Michigan, drive in the snow and ice all the time. Only things you need to drive in the snow are good tires, and be smart enough to drive for conditions.

That is hilarious!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
With an Accord, I don't think chains are going to be a consideration. If one came loose whatsoever, you'd ruin the fender. Good snow tires, studded if possible, are about the only thing you're going to make it with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm guessing what the OP wants is something to keep in his car to get him through the "chains required" high elevation areas on Interstates and major highways. The plastic chains worked great for that on my little car. Durable enough.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I'm guessing what the OP wants is something to keep in his car to get him through the "chains required" high elevation areas on Interstates and major highways. The plastic chains worked great for that on my little car. Durable enough.

Do they make you chain up if you have studded tires?

Do people honestly drive their Prius through the high mountain passes in "chains required" areas???

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Do people honestly drive their Prius through the high mountain passes in "chains required" areas???

Depends on the state. Most states that I know of say chains or snow tires. They call the all season tires 'snow tires' but they aren't that great. If you need snow tires, you want REAL snow tires.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Knowing when you shouldn't get out in the mess is most important. When you absolutely must get out, start with good snow/mud tires and then chains.

If you're stuck in an emergency, I'll try to help. If you're stuck because you only "wanted to see if you could", you're on your own.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

In real snow.........your Honda Accord may bottom out..........chains not gonna help

The Accord is a fine car.......one of the highest stolen vehicles......

If you would live in the snow belt...you might wanna have something more suitable

tires with 'teeth' (my wife's quote) and ground clearance

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

CA would probably give you a ticket for studs and they are hell noisy on dry pavement. All I know is it was chains required or 4WD. Actually driving conditions weren't that bad if you knew what you were doing. But it is CA after all. they don't want people in the ditch at, say, the Donner Pass, munchies might set in.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

CA would probably give you a ticket for studs and they are hell noisy on dry pavement. All I know is it was chains required or 4WD. Actually driving conditions weren't that bad if you knew what you were doing. But it is CA after all. they don't want people in the ditch at, say, the Donner Pass, munchies might set in.

That winter they figure they had 25' of snow. A few years ago, at the height of the drought, we had to go over it in January. The ground was completely bare, only a little spotty snow back in the trees. Both times were extremes.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,334
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.