Print Thread
Hop To
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have to put in a couple of rails in a shower for best friends father that had stroke.

Everywhere else I've used a 2x4 and just get onto some good studs in the house since there is no blocking. 70s house with tile surround.

I'm thinking maybe synthetic 2x4 in the shower but I've never used. Just get it in the area we need it and lag it into studs I'll have to find by pilot holes and stud finder.. and then screw rails to it.

I may even have to build the rails to fit but thats another story.

Thanks for any input. Kind of hate to put a wood 2x4 in there. But if thats a better thing I"ll just have to epoxy paint it or something.

Thanks, Jeff

PS may not reply to posts, leaving for the weekend in a few hours but I'll appreciate all the input come next week.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It be best to anchor into studs!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know why you don't just buy grab bars. They make them to fit 18" and 24" stud spacing. Stainless steel with bead blast texturing.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've bought diamond tipped tile drill bits (which I think are different than glass...can't remember) that worked quite well in allowing me to drill into the stud behind the tile for a support.

I had to use a bit longer screw because I was also going thru cement board.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
You should be good to drill and mount them on top of the tile. Adding a 2x4 will diminish the useable space in the shower. I’ve done home health care since 1995. I’ve seen a lot of rails mounted on top of tile. It works out well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to the home improvement store and buy a stainless grab bar and tie into studs. Or am I missing something? Shower chairs or tub seats are an option. You probably want to install at an angle which takes care of any stud spacing problems.

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just finished overhauling a shower with grab bars for my MIL who had a stroke. This is a mfg home and the interior wall studs are never where they should be. The spacing is really strange sometimes. I took out the tub and put in a tiled shower. I had to add a couple studs so they'd be where I needed them. I only had 1 stud for this fold down grab bar she needs to get off the toilet. I used a 1x6 with 4 heavy duty dry wall anchors plus a couple screws into the stud between the bar's ends.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Tile in good shape? Lots of work to replace it but it comes out clean. SIL and I redid ours to a shower as wife cant step over a tub. It is amazing how far and odd they can space studs.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I don't know why you don't just buy grab bars. They make them to fit 18" and 24" stud spacing. Stainless steel with bead blast texturing.

This. I put an 18” grab rail for a now deceased friend. I angled it so I could hit 2 studs. I must’ve done it right since his fat ass never pulled it out, if anyone would’ve yanked it free it would’ve been him.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ok, since my idea of the 2x4 is stupid, then explain how you get all 3 screws into a stud? And where you want the rail to be per the rehab folks?

But then again a better idea is HOW do you find studs in the old house behind tile wall? NO I'm not going to assume they are on 16 from the center of the corners. Don't want to drill through? tiles a number of times.

Hard to believe not more use the 2x4.. Its SO easy to grab what you need, gives you a wide base for how the triangle screws are lined up ( NOT for a 1.5 inch wide stud) and allow a nice lag into as many studs or parts of the stud as you want.

That said maybe I'm too anal, I know if I could accidentally find the studs perfectly.... yeah that won't happen, that 2 screws each end would be nice.

And since one of the rails has to be custom anyway figured might weld em all anyway. But thats another story. They want a rail to leave the walker outside the bathroom and all the way into the room along the outside wall. Needs weird length. Better to be off the way more than normal depth of rails and needs a 45 at the end in a precise place. Ah the joys of being called upon. But for a good cause for sure.

And Rocky, stud spacing is not 18 and 24 inches. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I just finished overhauling a shower with grab bars for my MIL who had a stroke. This is a mfg home and the interior wall studs are never where they should be. The spacing is really strange sometimes. I took out the tub and put in a tiled shower. I had to add a couple studs so they'd be where I needed them. I only had 1 stud for this fold down grab bar she needs to get off the toilet. I used a 1x6 with 4 heavy duty dry wall anchors plus a couple screws into the stud between the bar's ends.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Two screws in the studs each end will make a solid mount. Height will vary based on the Bar and how it’s mounted. If on an angle, low end close to the shower/tub seat. As she stands she will stand into the higher part of the bar and find support. If parallel to the ground Id probably go for fold of the wrist height based on her standing tall with arms at the side. That usually puts a 15-20 degree bend in the elbow which allows more efficient use of the arm for support and balance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I was going to say. I'm sure there's a standard somewhere, there is for everything else. When I installed them I assessed the stature and ability of the person and imagined what I would want if I was that guy. Then I'd hold it in place and asked them what did they think if I had a chance. One end higher than the other makes it easier, the person can grab at the height most comfortable. Just don't get the angle so steep that their hand slips.

An electronic stud finder always worked for me.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don’t have to be disabled to use grab rail. Good Safety addition. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Strap toggles. No stud needed. One bolt holds 250 pounds just in drywall. Simple to get at least 2 in each end plate of a grab bar. If you happen to hit a stud, that's a bonus.
That old tile wall is plenty strong

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone use those grab rails that have suction cups that hold them on?

I just can't see HOW they would hold on for very long?

Thanks for any feed back!

Virgil B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Anyone use those grab rails that have suction cups that hold them on?

I just can't see HOW they would hold on for very long?

Thanks for any feed back!

Virgil B.
They don't hold. Ask my mother. If you need grab rails, you need them bad so do it right.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 19 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,754
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.