Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
By the way, when I read the book, I was 100 percent sure, that Frank Sheeran shot Jimmy Hoffa. No doubt in my mind, when he said "my friend did not feel a thing", He was telling the truth.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh come on, it wasn't horrible.
Only big problem I saw was Pacino cast as Hoffa..just wasn't a good fit.
DeNiro used to be one of my favorites, now I can barely stand to watch him because of his big mouth, but the guy can act, and he acted his ass off. I thought is was pretty good, would have rather seen somebody else cast as Sheeran and Hoffa.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Actually enjoyed it, but it was 30-40 minutes too long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I liked it. We took two nights to watch it. Part of it was enjoyable just to be in a different time and a different place. Part of it was an interesting study in loyalty.

Interesting how many of the mob types died "in the line of duty" so to speak.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I liked the cars. There must be a company that rents all of those cars to movie makers.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Oh come on, it wasn't horrible.
Only big problem I saw was Pacino cast as Hoffa..just wasn't a good fit.
DeNiro used to be one of my favorites, now I can barely stand to watch him because of his big mouth, but the guy can act, and he acted his ass off. I thought is was pretty good, would have rather seen somebody else cast as Sheeran and Hoffa.

I agree with this... DeNiro is a cockhead but he can act, I enjoyed the movie. Gonna have to get the book and read it, I bet it is much better than the movie (they always are).

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I hate DeNiro. I'll never watch a thing with him in it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I watched about 1-1/2 hours first night it was on Netflix. Turned it back on in bed the next night, watched about an hour and turned if off. Still haven't cared to watch the end.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they'd cut out half the time that they show Deniro staring at someone, they would be able to get it to a reasonable length.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a big "The Godfather" trilogy fan so Al Pacino's name originally drew me to look into the Irishman. I also enjoyed "Good Fellas" and "A Bronx Tale," so naturally I watched "The Irishman. I was an enlisted Marine stationed overseas when the Nixon Watergate and Jimmy Hoffa disappearance were the headlines of the day, so I was really interested in the story line. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and felt somewhat sad at how much Pacino, Pesci and De Niro had aged.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed the movie.

I could not even give one God Damn about any of the actors politics or religion.

It's just a movie.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was just OK. Way too long. Cars were nice though.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I am a big "The Godfather" trilogy fan so Al Pacino's name originally drew me to look into the Irishman. I also enjoyed "Good Fellas" and "A Bronx Tale," so naturally I watched "The Irishman. I was an enlisted Marine stationed overseas when the Nixon Watergate and Jimmy Hoffa disappearance were the headlines of the day, so I was really interested in the story line. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and felt somewhat sad at how much Pacino, Pesci and De Niro had aged.

It is kind of amazing how old they have gotten. I thought pesci did a good job as a quiet guy, instead of his crazy guy from goodfellas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
If they'd cut out half the time that they show Deniro staring at someone, they would be able to get it to a reasonable length.

I thought he was just playing a big dumb, tough irish guy, to a Tee! grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The music, the sets and the cars were pretty good. Those old farts acting like tough guys were pathetic. Glamorizing punk gangsters of any era chaps my azz.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So wife and I finally finished it. Once I got past that crappy CGI, the story was OK, acting was OK. Don't regret watching it, will never watch it again.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The music, the sets and the cars were pretty good. Those old farts acting like tough guys were pathetic. Glamorizing punk gangsters of any era chaps my azz.

mike r

I didn't get the glamorizing part. My take away was they were all murderers, and you could be next, whoever you were. There was a "code" but it wasn't followed. Even if you "played by the rules".

Like the Godfather movies, seemed like it was better to go broke, than to get in business with the mob.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On impulse I went to an 8:45 showing on a weekday (last night). My last chance locally to see it on the big screen.

I’m wondering how many of those cars in the background were real; so many from so many different eras. Nice collection of guns, and Sheeran’s view that the .45acp was too loud for assassination work was interesting. The only problem I had was that the ,38 snub Jerome Johnson used to assassinate Joseph Colombo looked suspiciously modern.

It reinforced my impression too that Italian women are the World’s most beautiful.

I learned a lot about the whole Jimmy Hoffa/Mob/Vegas connection. My cousin who is like a brother is a retired Teamster, that union served him well.

It’s a well-done history movie portraying an era of American history. I didn’t see it glamorizing murderers and thieves, especially with the momentary add-ins informing us of the eventual violent fate of so many of the criminals in the movie. Those guys would turn on each other in a heartbeat while smiling to their faces.

The last years of Frank Sheeran (“The Irishman”) were particularly well done.

All of this got me curious about Frank Fitzsimmons, Hoffa’s successor. Turns out the guy was more than an empty suit, and pulled off some clever negotiating. Him and Tony Provenzano actually played golf with Richard Nixon at one point, but when he died Wiki has it that only four people showed up at Fitzsimmon’s funeral.

I dunno if Frank Sheeran whacked Jimmy Hoffa, doesn’t seem to matter that much who actually pulled the trigger.

Got out of the movie around 12:30 am, to sleep around 2. Gotta face students today, it’s gonna be tough 🙄

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DeNiro is not allowed on my TV.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Terrible

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.