Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You could buy a Teslong bore scope from Amazon for about $50 and you would be able to see any issues. Assuming the scope, mounts, and bedding/action screws have not changed and are good. To me, I don't thinking the number of rounds shot would mean a bad barrel/shot out yet. A copper fouled bore?

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clair,

You Whining Bitch...bless your heart. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Getting the fhuqk knocked outta ya',help your Dog Dick "wages".

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dont get mentally stumped and fall in mouse turds .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Got to love keyboard commandos wanting to beat someone up over posts on an internet forum. LOL

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
McInnis, I don't know why your rifle went from a great shooter to awful overnight, but the absolute least likely reason is that a 30.06 barrel is toast so soon. Look elsewhere. You've gotten some good suggestions. Good luck.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by McInnis
I have a Remington 700 .30-06 with a SS barrel that’s been the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. At one time it shot a dozen consecutive 3 shot groups with 165 TSX bullets that averaged about 0.45 moa. That includes one 5/16” group at 200 yards. But that’s gone now. Rather suddenly the groups opened up to 2+ moa. I put a new scope on it, checked the bedding. Nothing has helped. And these crappy groups don’t have two holes touching with a flyer, they’re just generally bad.

I keep good records and I have about 1300 rounds through the barrel. Is it likely worn out? I always let the barrel cool between shots. I’ve cleaned it almost every time I’ve shot it, always from the breech. Usually use a bore guide but sometimes get lazy.

I have an a-bolt with over 1600 rounds and is still going strong. I’ve never shot a barrel out but it’s my understanding that 1300 rounds would be a pretty short life for an 06.

??

Interesting.I had a Remington 700 Long Range 30-06 that did the exact same thing after about the same amount of rounds.I ran it fairly hard with a lot of my loads running around 3000fps with a 165gr bullet,but kept it clean of copper and never let the barrel get too hot.It was still under warranty so I sent it back under the warranty.After a five month wait,I received the rifle back with a new barrel and receiver.It shot a little better,but not that great,so I had it rebored to a 338-06 and it shoots great now.The only thing I could think of is maybe I fried the throat.All I know is when it happened it was not a gradual decline in accuracy,but a rather quick decline just like what happened to you.It wasn't the scope,mounts or bedding because it shoots great as a 338-06.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
This is my list of suspects.
A load component has changed. Maybe a different lot of powder, brass preparation, or primer. Maybe seating depth or run out?
Did you change a bench technique in any way?
Have you taken it out of the stock and put it back with a different torque?
Good Luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cannot speak for McInnis,but in my case it wouldn't shoot anything that it did before under 2" in any bullet or weight.I have a pile of targets where this rifle shot under 1/2" and in my case Remington did replace the barrel under warranty so I guess there was a problem found.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate the info. Stick.

If it holds up and retains zero, I think it would be worth it to me for a couple applications simply for the illuminated dot.

Now, if only SWFA would/could offer an illuminated dot in the fixed 6 and the 3-9x40...

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So I went to town yesterday and bought a bottle of Barnes Copper Remover. I opened the bottle and the smell of ammonia nearly knocked me out and that made me realize that over time the bottle of Sweet's that I have must have lost its potency. So I cleaned with it, brushed, cleaned again and took it to the range this morning. But same results - three groups of about 2" at 100 yards.

And although it wasn't my intent to confirm that the scope wasn't a problem, I took my new MarkV that has the old scope that this rifle had when the trouble started and it shot a 0.4375" group with .277" 130 grn TTSX bullets. We have a custom gun shop here in Cody. I'm going to take it in there and let him check it out with his borescope and see what he says. I really wonder if I did something to damage the crown in the past. Either way, I've been wanting a .35 Whelen AI for a while. I might be really close to getting one.

Again, I thank everyone for their helpful comments. Well, almost everyone.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would absolutely try some JB Bore Cleaner on a nylon brush/patch. 25 strokes in the first half of the barrel, then 25 more full length. Doing that routine twice won't hurt anything. I developed this method after I bought a borescope. All that soaking the barrel nonsense is just a huge waste of time. The problem is a hard-as-glass layer of carbon in the throat that squeezes the hell out of the bullet and makes pressures go wonky. It looks like bluing inside the barrel when viewed with a scope. You will likely feel the difference when using it too. It will have more resistance in the throat area when you start. Sweets doesn't work very well unless you whip it to a froth with the cleaning rod btw.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'ology,

Fhuqk it...it do nobody ANY favors,not to treat glass like for like. I'll poke it aboard my HEAVY Vudoo and shoot the turrets,as per their design.

I barely have 85 or so of said glass and if there were Illumination,it;'d put me wellllll over a hunnert.(grin)

Film at 11:00.

As a none too "surprising" aside,the OP remains a CLUELESS Fhuqking Idiot and the Shenanigans are a [bleep] riot! Droolers are like Moths to The Flame.

Hint.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I heard the new boolits wear out a barrel REAL QUICK. haha

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey thanks FC, I hadn’t considered carbon build up. I’ll give JBs a chance before I give up on this barrel.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by buttstock
I seem to remember reading that match accuracy of a 308 Win would begin to degrade around 2000 rounds. "Decent" accuracy (subjective) was 2500-3000+ rounds.

My current AI .308 barrel is right at 5,000 rounds and still just over 1/2 MOA. 6,000 - 8,000 is common. Saw one on a AI, not my rifle, go to 14,000 rounds.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by McInnis
So I went to town yesterday and bought a bottle of Barnes Copper Remover. I opened the bottle and the smell of ammonia nearly knocked me out and that made me realize that over time the bottle of Sweet's that I have must have lost its potency. So I cleaned with it, brushed, cleaned again and took it to the range this morning. But same results - three groups of about 2" at 100 yards.

And although it wasn't my intent to confirm that the scope wasn't a problem, I took my new MarkV that has the old scope that this rifle had when the trouble started and it shot a 0.4375" group with .277" 130 grn TTSX bullets. We have a custom gun shop here in Cody. I'm going to take it in there and let him check it out with his borescope and see what he says. I really wonder if I did something to damage the crown in the past. Either way, I've been wanting a .35 Whelen AI for a while. I might be really close to getting one.

Again, I thank everyone for their helpful comments. Well, almost everyone.

Yes, Sweets will lose its effectiveness over time. The fresh stuff, like the Barnes, will just about lift your scalp if you sniff it. The other thing that helps it work is to put it on a loose patch on a loop, and pump it vigorously up and down the bore, until you get a froth on it.

If the bore's good and clean though, a few other possibilities include damage to the muzzle, including rod wear as well as dings etc or a bulge near the muzzle. I'd also be taking the barreled action out of the stock and checking that something didn't get caught in there, and that there's no evidence of rubbing, such as from a stock that has moved. At the same time I'd also check all the action screws and, if it is a timber stock, look for any degradation/oil soaked in,or cracks. I'd also take the rings off and check the screws attaching the bases to the rifle.

HTH

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Clair,

You Whining Bitch...bless your heart. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Getting the fhuqk knocked outta ya',help your Dog Dick "wages".

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

offer stands. Once or twice a month I'm in Anchorage and would love to give you a chance to speak to me that way in person. Never happen though. Keep hiding behind a keyboard.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm coming in a little late. Let me just throw in my $.02.

1) I'm a big Ed's Red fan. If I saw a loss of accuracy like that-- one that I couldn't tie to so a known insult-- I'd slather Ed's Red in the barrel and put it away for a few months. I like Ed's Red, because it does amazing things given time. I take my deer guns and give them a rough cleaning in December and then take them out in June or so and run a patch through them and it's like magic all the crud that comes out. Those same barrels, had I used Hoppes, would have given me a clean patch in December.

2) In regards to copper buildup. I can only give you my experience with the Mauser From Hell. It is now one of the most accurate deer rifles in my collection, but when I first got it, it was minute-of-bushell-basket. One of the problems was a monstrous copper buildup. I found a process on a Mauser forum. I was hesitant to try it, but I figured it would either work or I'd rebarrel the rifle to something else besides the original 8X57.

Here's what I did.

I felt like a Mad Scientist

It worked wonderfully. Were I to be faced with copper build-up again, I'd not hesitate to try it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/URL]

Stick, what rail/ring setup do you have on that Tikka? What height are the rings?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
40 MO/MO Mountain Tac'...because there's not a better way to do it. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

SWFA Low's,as I've dozens and dozens in service,less an issue and they mount lower than most. Hint.

Rifle is certainly better,after the punch. Hint.

Couldn't stand it and went Halibut Blueprint on Little Big Gun,then swapped glass for more color. Hint. Laughing!

Typical Bombproof setup,by design.

Hint....................

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,788
Posts18,496,024
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.