Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I ended up leaving my binocs in camp after the first or 2nd day. The PH and trackers spot game before I do anyway and I don't need any more dead weight to carry. It's not like out west where you glass to find game.

I'm with you Indy.

I didn't take binos to Zim this past August and did not miss them one bit.

I think a lot depends on what and where you are hunting...but for my PG in the Eastern Cape and DG in the BVC, I was fine not switching back and forth between binos and rifle.

My PHs were happy because that was less movement by me, to spook game. Plus I focused more on my rifle handling.

I can see what I need to see with the naked (62 year old) eye or through my scope when time to shoot.

Different strokes for different folks.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A a few comments:
The same goes for advice to drop down to 8x. Now, I like 8x binoculars for much African hunting, especially in thornbush, where you're usually glassing "offhand," and the slightly lower magnification helps SOME people get a steadier view. But it appears he's well-used to 10x, and I have also found 10x binoculars very useful when glassing in both timbered and open country, whether in Africa or North America, apparently partly because I have pretty steady hands. Apparently he is used to his 10, so it will serve him well.

Thanks for that, Mule Deer and for the rest of your comments. I agree with them all. I am the one who suggested 8x vs 10x in this discussion. - but only for the following reasons. Most people are not experts. I was trying to bring more of us into the circle of hunters who appreciate finding game for themselves. Or who use glass instead of feet as an efficient strategy. I have no argument at all with those who have the skills or physical ability to use more magnification than 8x in their binoculars. But those "who suggest not bothering to bring any binoculars when hunting" are an unfortunately large proportion of the hunting public. I'm just trying to nudge them in the proper direction. Like any caring hunter would do.

Last edited by castnblast; 12/18/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am somewhat flabbergasted at the suggestion that you don't need to take a binocular when you go hunting--especially in Africa. There is so much to see: new landscapes and habitats, strange critters and animal behaviors--things that you will see with a good binocular, some of which you may never see again.

Hell, I don't even go out to sit in the back yard or on the front porch without a binocular and a camera.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly.

But apparently a lot of "hunters" are indeed out there just to shoot animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mudhen
I am somewhat flabbergasted at the suggestion that you don't need to take a binocular when you go hunting--especially in Africa. There is so much to see: new landscapes and habitats, strange critters and animal behaviors--things that you will see with a good binocular, some of which you may never see again.

Hell, I don't even go out to sit in the back yard or on the front porch without a binocular and a camera.

Ridiculous isn't it? I can't imagine......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,431
Posts18,470,796
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.