Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
He might like the Mitch Rapp series of books by Vince Flynn

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All of the above are great suggestions. I will add
'Empire of Shadows' by George Black.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brad Taylor has the "Pike Logan" series which is a good read. Taylor is a former member of the unit popularly known as Delta.

"Apache Sunrise" by Jerome M. Boyle is about his time as a Cobra pilot in Vietnam.

"Reflections of a Warrior" is the story of a Special Forces Legend Franklin Miller (also from the Vietnam era). Very good read.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been out for a while, but don’t forget Stephen Hunter’s series about Bob Lee Swagger and his family. Starts with “Point of Impact”.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Double ditto on the Longmire series. I'm anxiously awaiting the next one. Good as it was, the tv series pales in comparison. Longmire is a Vienam vet, as is his pal Henry Standing Bear.

The Detective Montalbano series is excellent, and brilliantly translated into English. The tv shows based on these are among the best ever, feature films really, eagerly awaited by fans. The Sicilian town they're filmed in has become a tourist mecca as a result, and Lucca Zingaretti a major star. The shows can be streamed through Amazon, and one's enjoyment of the books is enhanced rather than harmed by watching them.

The Bosch detective stories are another great series, and Harry Bosch is a former Vietnam War tunnel rat, which figures in the stories from time to time.

Anything I've read by Elmore Leonard has been outstanding. The Raylan Givens stories that Justified is based on get most of the attention, but a whole slew of Western movies are based on Leonard's books. One that has escaped that and is a really excellent stand-alone novel is The Hot Kid, another U.S. Marshall story, but set in an earlier time, the gangster era.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DavePrice
WEB Griffin's "brotherhood of war series" is good!

https://www.amazon.com/Brotherhood-...fin+books+%2Cstripbooks%2C218&sr=1-4

This is the one I would suggest first. Outstanding series of books! Lots of good ones to choose from, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Up.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Good afternoon Lynn.

Does he like historical types or primarily fiction?

Books critical or supportive of the military (on an institutional scale, not picking on individual members of the Armed Forces)?

You'll probable get some good ideas on here.

Hope you're enjoying the fall, winter is coming fast here.

Good luck with the search for your friend's reading enjoyment.

Geno

Geno,

His taste runs to historical.

He has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, of the US Military. He would read both types and form his own decisions based on his own experiences.

In Canada now, winter is here with a vengeance !

Thanks for the luck, might just need it considering.

Lynn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Miss Lynn:

Don't have any title suggestions, but an excellent source for used books is an online outfit (AbeBooks.com). The site brokers books from hundreds of sources around the world at very reasonable prices and quite often free shipping. Cookie was after some McManus titles a week or two back and it was less expensive for hard copies than the down loaded e-book versions. I've found some extremely old and rare titles there with my interest being early exploration and safari reads.

Pretty much an endless deal for me, as I write down referenced titles during my readings and then go search for those. Need another book case now.

Have a good one,

Edited: Just went to the Abe site and pasted in " Of Gods and Generals" from Jimy's post beneath this one. About $3.50 with free shipping.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/08/19.

1Minute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is a trilogy about the civil, the author died after writing the first two and his son completed the third, they are all great reading.
One title is " Of Gods and Generals "

You can easily goole them, fantastic reading.

Here's a little more info. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...eff-shaara/9780345409577/teachers-guide/

These books are as close as you will get to being "there" the thoughts, the plans and the results of the war that changed America. Everyone that "reads" should read these books.

Last edited by jimy; 12/08/19.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lynn,

Almost anything by C.S. Forester also would be a solid choice: the Hornblower series, Rifleman Dodd, The Gun, The Good Shepherd, The Captain From Connecticut. Most are set either in or about the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Great stuff.

For "different", try Thorne Smith's Topper and Topper Takes a Trip. Very funny, quietly sexy, and definitely offbeat. You may have seen the old movies and/or tv shows, but as usual, the books are waaayyyy better; laugh-out-loud good.

If he likes books, a Kindle, loaded up with some good ones, would be a great gift too. The China Doll has mine most of the time, but I run the apps on my phone and iPad, and so am never without something to read wherever I am.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I also thoroughly enjoy the Longmire series, but I'd be remiss (but not humble) by suggesting my own two books. And you can get mine signed to whomever. PM if you are interested.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Good afternoon Lynn.

Does he like historical types or primarily fiction?

Books critical or supportive of the military (on an institutional scale, not picking on individual members of the Armed Forces)?

You'll probable get some good ideas on here.

Hope you're enjoying the fall, winter is coming fast here.

Good luck with the search for your friend's reading enjoyment.

Geno

Geno,

His taste runs to historical.

He has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, of the US Military. He would read both types and form his own decisions based on his own experiences.

In Canada now, winter is here with a vengeance !

Thanks for the luck, might just need it considering.

Lynn

Lynn,

I found this one interesting. No doubt, the author has a bit of an agenda, most do, but I found it informative. If your friend has seen the "good, the bad, and the ugly" then he may not find this too shocking:

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Our family ended up with this book somewhere along the lines. There are reprints of varying age, some newer ones for college students too, I believe. Very interesting to me, especially Allen's perspective on his treatment by the British, he was an Officer after all. War was different then.:

[Linked Image from pictures.abebooks.com]

Hope this is of some help. Maybe some of the folks here might enjoy them also.

Enjoy that Canuckian winter. We don't get as much snow, being in a high desert and all, but we'll get the cold before it's over. Already have seen 5F here this fall.

I'll echo 1minute on the Abe's books. It's where I found the picture of Allen's book. There are multiple versions available there if I'm reading that page correctly.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 12/08/19.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neptune's Inferno, James D. Hornfischer

Legend, Eric Blehm.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Alan Furst; a number of WW2 books, European, espionage.

George MacDonald Fraser; Victorian Brit. army, "Flashman" a lot of dry humor, series.

Daniel Silva; Gabriel Allon, middle east Isreali espionage series.

All have some Interesting, IMO, background history that goes with the various plots.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Author: Daniel Silva. Also, Just finished, Where the crawdads sing. Great book

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Berkut by Joseph Heywood

The Berkut

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I bet he would like the Harry Bosch books too

Second the Michael Connelly line-up.

Lesser known author Donald Harstad has a good if brief series of novels beginning with "Eleven Days" written in 1998.

And if he hasn't already read them, the Tom Clancy novels are all among the best written.

Not quite as realistic, to me, but also well written are the Elvis Cole PI/mystery novels by Robert Crais. A long series and all that I've read are pretty good.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If he likes espionage thrillers I'd recommend Brad Thor, a New York Times bestselling author. I've read several of his books and I've never been disappointed. I'm reading "Blowback" right now, and it's about the sixth of his books I've read.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Brad Taylor's books.

Stephen Coonts's books.

Retired cat herder.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.