Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wanted to raise and release pheasants when my place was surrounded on 3 sides by CRP until I read articles like this one:

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Habitat/Pheasant-Facts/Pheasant-Stocking.aspx

pheasant stocking
an ineffective management tool
Stocking of pen-raised birds is not an efficient means to increase wild bird populations, as shown by numerous studies over the past 25 years. Developing and enhancing habitat, on the other hand, has proven to help increase ring-necked numbers.

WHAT IS PHEASANT STOCKING?
By definition, "stocking" is the release of pen-raised pheasants into habitat where wild birds already are present. "Introductions" or "transplants" are different. These refer to the capture and release of wild birds into areas where birds are not generally present, using management that has been studied very thoroughly.

WHAT about stocking young (8-14 WEEKS old) Pheasants?
On average, only 60 percent will survive the initial week of release. After one month, roughly 25 percent will remain. Winter survival has been documented as high as 10 percent but seldom exceeds 5 percent of the released birds.

with HIGH MOrTALITY RATES, SHOULDN'T WE CLOSE THE SEASON?
For the most part, hunting has little to do with poor survival. Predators take the real toll on pen-raised pheasants, accounting for more than 90 percent of all deaths. The reason being pen-raised birds never had a chance to learn predator avoidance behavior. Starvation can also be a problem. Some newly-released pheasants take up to three weeks to develop optimal foraging patterns essential to survival in the wild.

WHY NOT WAIT UNTIL SPRING TO RELEASE BREEDER HENS?
Mortality is still very high—roughly 40 to 70 percent of the hens will perish before attempting to nest. Also, high mortality rates continue even after nests are initiated or eggs successfully hatched, resulting in dismally low production. The average production of spring-released hens ranges from 5 to 40 chicks per 100 hens released. Thus, released hens are not productive enough to replace their own losses.

CAN'T SURVIVIAL RATES BE DIFFERENT FOR SOME AREAS?
There often will be a few that make it, but studies have shown they are unable to maintain a population. This is why local stocking programs continue year after year. Ultimately we must ask ourselves why there is a need to repeat stocking efforts on an annual basis if survival is as high as often claimed.

isn't minimal survival better than none at all?
Not necessarily. We're concerned about a self-sustaining population that we won't have to continually supplement with pen-raised birds. In order to remain at a constant level, wild pheasant populations must have a production rate of roughly four chicks (surviving to 10 weeks) per hen. With production rates of less than one chick per hen, a population would decline rapidly.

stocking worked initially, why wouldn't it work now?

When pheasants were first transplanted (different than stocking) and introduced to the U.S., the landscape was far different from the one we have today. Farming techniques were primitive, field sizes smaller and crops more diversified. These habitat conditions created a situation ideally suited for the introduction of a farmland species like the ring-necked pheasant.
Is there harm in releasing birds?

Though not proven, there is cause for concern. Genetic dilution may be occurring. Even with minimal survival, the release of thousands of pen-raised birds over many years may be diminishing the "wildness" of the wild stock. Another concern is that, by releasing hundreds of birds in a given area, predators may start keying on pheasants. This may result in wild birds incurring higher predation. Finally, there is the potential of disease transmission from released birds to the wild flock.
What if I just want to put a few more birds in the bag?
Simple enough. Release the birds as close to the time you want to hunt as possible. To do otherwise is a waste of money. Pen-raised birds do provide shooting opportunities and a chance to keep your dog in shape. Just keep in mind that these birds are not going to produce a wild self-sustaining population in your area.

Is there hope for areas with LOw pheasant populations?
Yes. Start by understanding pheasant habitat needs. What kinds of areas do pheasants nest in? What are optimal covers in which they survive harsh winters? How can these areas be created and preserved? The answers can be learned from your local wildlife professionals. Consider becoming a member of Pheasants Forever. Informative and educational articles on these and other subjects are part of every Pheasants Forever Journal of Upland Conservation. If you are serious about improving local habitat conditions, consider joining or forming a local chapter.

With improved habitat, where will pheasants come from?
Because of their high productivity, wild pheasants in the area can quickly populate newly-created habitats. In unpopulated areas of suitable habitat, transplanting wild birds or their offspring (F1 generation) appears to be the best solution. The first step should be an investigation of factors that have limited pheasant populations in the past—for example a lack of winter habitat or increased pesticide use.

can we realistically rebuild wild pheasant numbers?
Yes. During the past 50 years there has been a colossal amount of money spent on supplemental stocking programs by state and local governments, sportsmen's groups, and private individuals. If these dollars would have been invested in habitat restoration, hundreds of species of wildlife in addition to pheasants would have been benefited.

Here's the bottom line: When habitat conditions improve, wild pheasant populations will increase in response to that habitat.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You’ve gotten the correct answer from the guys here, it’s a Chinese Ringneck Pheasant. It’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks like a young rooster with its shorter tail feathers.

On a side note concerning raptors......

About 12 years ago I and another friend of mine decided to do a DIY moose hunt out of Delta Junction Alaska and we wanted to take a buddy of ours that was the ranch manager for another friends ranch outside of Ellensburg. Mike had never been to Alaska so we’d be helping our friend achieve a lifelong dream and make memories in the process. Long story short.....we had a fantastic time even though we didn’t shoot a moose. We saw a lot of moose but none with the required number of brow tines. There were 2 that I thought would go better than 50” but I wasn’t absolutely 100% positive so we didn’t shoot. I wasn’t going to risk shooting a 49” moose and lose my hunting privileges in my favorite place in the world so not shooting never bothered me, we accomplished what we’d wanted to anyway....make great memories with friends.

A few weeks after returning from Alaska we went over to the ranch to punch a few cow elk depredation permits. When we got to the ranch we found out Mike wasn’t feeling well and wanted to stay in bed rather than hunt which was a sure sign that he truly wasn’t feeling well. Fast forward a week and I got a call from my friend. He told me the bad news.....Mike had apparently gotten up in the middle of the night and collapsed right next to his bed never regaining consciousness. Unknown to him he had a giant brain tumor which is what took him from us far too soon.

A couple of weeks later we had a memorial service for him. After the service few of his closest friends and the few remaining family members he had went to the ranch to spread his ashes in a spot in the woods that he loved. He’d sit in that woodsy meadow and play guitar or just sit quietly soaking up the smells and sounds of his paradise. He really loved that spot. It was winter and we’d had a lot of snow, so much snow that we used snowshoes to hike to Mike’s favorite spot. It was a beautiful sunny day and the fresh powdery snow was a striking contrast to our rather dark mood. We got to the exact spot where we intended to spread his ashes when I noticed what could only be described (to our sad minds) as the impression of an angel in the snow......it obviously wasn’t an angel but it was as comforting as it was beautiful. That impression in the snow was from a Snow Owl that had swooped down grabbed a rabbit that was unlucky crossing the meadow and left a perfect impression in the snow. The outstretched wings and the feather details in the snow was really cool and it seemed to us that was a sign that Mike was at peace. It was a beautiful and moving end to a good man’s life and something I’ll never forget.

Sorry for the tangent.....😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Here's a turkey vulture.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here's a California Condor:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Is this a dogbird or a birddog?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 308ld
Seventy year old eyes suck.........
You're not alone. Was thinking WTF, invisabird?, until copied and zoomed around. Actually I think it's a road runner - it's on the road and a-runnin.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In the late '60's or early '70's the LDWF brought pheasant from somewhere in Texas I believe, that were acclimated to hot weather, to south Louisiana. Pheasants were able to adjust, but then a virus that was lethal to wild turkeys was discovered in the pheasants. Stocking stopped, but you can see them occasionally in Cameron Parish on roads.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
#5 Fiocci is perfect

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
You’ve gotten the correct answer from the guys here, it’s a Chinese Ringneck Pheasant. It’s hard to tell from the picture but it looks like a young rooster with its shorter tail feathers.

About 12 years ago I and another friend of mine decided to do a DIY moose hunt out of Delta Junction Alaska and we wanted to take a buddy of ours that was the ranch manager for another friends ranch outside of Ellensburg. Mike had never been to Alaska so we’d be helping our friend achieve a lifelong dream and make memories in the process. Long story short.....we had a fantastic time even though we didn’t shoot a moose. We saw a lot of moose but none with the required number of brow tines. There were 2 that I thought would go better than 50” but I wasn’t absolutely 100% positive so we didn’t shoot. I wasn’t going to risk shooting a 49” moose and lose my hunting privileges in my favorite place in the world so not shooting never bothered me, we accomplished what we’d wanted to anyway....make great memories with friends.

A few weeks after returning from Alaska we went over to the ranch to punch a few cow elk depredation permits. When we got to the ranch we found out Mike wasn’t feeling well and wanted to stay in bed rather than hunt which was a sure sign that he truly wasn’t feeling well. Fast forward a week and I got a call from my friend. He told me the bad news.....Mike had apparently gotten up in the middle of the night and collapsed right next to his bed never regaining consciousness. Unknown to him he had a giant brain tumor which is what took him from us far too soon.

A couple of weeks later we had a memorial service for him. After the service few of his closest friends and the few remaining family members he had went to the ranch to spread his ashes in a spot in the woods that he loved. He’d sit in that woodsy meadow and play guitar or just sit quietly soaking up the smells and sounds of his paradise. He really loved that spot. It was winter and we’d had a lot of snow, so much snow that we used snowshoes to hike to Mike’s favorite spot. It was a beautiful sunny day and the fresh powdery snow was a striking contrast to our rather dark mood. We got to the exact spot where we intended to spread his ashes when I noticed what could only be described (to our sad minds) as the impression of an angel in the snow......it obviously wasn’t an angel but it was as comforting as it was beautiful. That impression in the snow was from a Snow Owl that had swooped down grabbed a rabbit that was unlucky crossing the meadow and left a perfect impression in the snow. The outstretched wings and the feather details in the snow was really cool and it seemed to us that was a sign that Mike was at peace. It was a beautiful and moving end to a good man’s life and something I’ll never forget.

That kind of tangent is good. That was a moving story, I am glad you shared it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by USMC2602
#5 Fiocci is perfect

Another vote for that shell.

The plated shot shell is great for later season, when the birds are heavily feathered.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As a kid, I lived in two places depending n the year or time of year. In Alberta, this was a pheasant. In Idaho, it was a Chink. Alberta had a decent wild population but they were less common in Idaho. I always figured, if I was going to introduce a non-native species, I would go with Hungarian Partridge. Much better suited to the habitat. GD

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I shot #6 at pen raised birds I'd pillowcase them.

Low base 7 1/2 works just fine.

Wild birds? They're tough. Sometimes I've wished I had a #4's

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Morewood
If I shot #6 at pen raised birds I'd pillowcase them.

Low base 7 1/2 works just fine.

Wild birds? They're tough. Sometimes I've wished I had a #4's

wood,

The 5's have it over 4's IMO. The 4 shot density drops off a lot.

LOL...I agree about wild birds. Sometimes I wish I shot flack. wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Looks little and skinny for #6. If there was a beer can next to em I'd have a perspective .

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

That's a good story Ace. No need to be sorry. RIP to your buddy.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thats a snipe

You'll shoot your eye out
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. 👍

PS.....Paul, We might’ve seen things differently about the UPS driver in Florida and that’s alright since if I agreed with anyone 100% of the time I’d question myself. I wanted you to know that I appreciate your contributions here, it’s the various intelligent and informed opinions , although they might differ, that makes this place great. Best regards.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who's the stud that drives those nails in the hanging pheasant pic?

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the perfect shell would be #7 and 3/4 no base. smile

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

That's a good story Ace. No need to be sorry. RIP to your buddy.

Yep. Great story, Ace.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I wanted to raise and release pheasants when my place was surrounded on 3 sides by CRP until I read articles like this one:

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Habitat/Pheasant-Facts/Pheasant-Stocking.aspx

pheasant stocking
an ineffective management tool
Stocking of pen-raised birds is not an efficient means to increase wild bird populations, as shown by numerous studies over the past 25 years. Developing and enhancing habitat, on the other hand, has proven to help increase ring-necked numbers.

WHAT IS PHEASANT STOCKING?
By definition, "stocking" is the release of pen-raised pheasants into habitat where wild birds already are present. "Introductions" or "transplants" are different. These refer to the capture and release of wild birds into areas where birds are not generally present, using management that has been studied very thoroughly.

WHAT about stocking young (8-14 WEEKS old) Pheasants?
On average, only 60 percent will survive the initial week of release. After one month, roughly 25 percent will remain. Winter survival has been documented as high as 10 percent but seldom exceeds 5 percent of the released birds.

with HIGH MOrTALITY RATES, SHOULDN'T WE CLOSE THE SEASON?
For the most part, hunting has little to do with poor survival. Predators take the real toll on pen-raised pheasants, accounting for more than 90 percent of all deaths. The reason being pen-raised birds never had a chance to learn predator avoidance behavior. Starvation can also be a problem. Some newly-released pheasants take up to three weeks to develop optimal foraging patterns essential to survival in the wild.

WHY NOT WAIT UNTIL SPRING TO RELEASE BREEDER HENS?
Mortality is still very high—roughly 40 to 70 percent of the hens will perish before attempting to nest. Also, high mortality rates continue even after nests are initiated or eggs successfully hatched, resulting in dismally low production. The average production of spring-released hens ranges from 5 to 40 chicks per 100 hens released. Thus, released hens are not productive enough to replace their own losses.

CAN'T SURVIVIAL RATES BE DIFFERENT FOR SOME AREAS?
There often will be a few that make it, but studies have shown they are unable to maintain a population. This is why local stocking programs continue year after year. Ultimately we must ask ourselves why there is a need to repeat stocking efforts on an annual basis if survival is as high as often claimed.

isn't minimal survival better than none at all?
Not necessarily. We're concerned about a self-sustaining population that we won't have to continually supplement with pen-raised birds. In order to remain at a constant level, wild pheasant populations must have a production rate of roughly four chicks (surviving to 10 weeks) per hen. With production rates of less than one chick per hen, a population would decline rapidly.

stocking worked initially, why wouldn't it work now?

When pheasants were first transplanted (different than stocking) and introduced to the U.S., the landscape was far different from the one we have today. Farming techniques were primitive, field sizes smaller and crops more diversified. These habitat conditions created a situation ideally suited for the introduction of a farmland species like the ring-necked pheasant.
Is there harm in releasing birds?

Though not proven, there is cause for concern. Genetic dilution may be occurring. Even with minimal survival, the release of thousands of pen-raised birds over many years may be diminishing the "wildness" of the wild stock. Another concern is that, by releasing hundreds of birds in a given area, predators may start keying on pheasants. This may result in wild birds incurring higher predation. Finally, there is the potential of disease transmission from released birds to the wild flock.
What if I just want to put a few more birds in the bag?
Simple enough. Release the birds as close to the time you want to hunt as possible. To do otherwise is a waste of money. Pen-raised birds do provide shooting opportunities and a chance to keep your dog in shape. Just keep in mind that these birds are not going to produce a wild self-sustaining population in your area.

Is there hope for areas with LOw pheasant populations?
Yes. Start by understanding pheasant habitat needs. What kinds of areas do pheasants nest in? What are optimal covers in which they survive harsh winters? How can these areas be created and preserved? The answers can be learned from your local wildlife professionals. Consider becoming a member of Pheasants Forever. Informative and educational articles on these and other subjects are part of every Pheasants Forever Journal of Upland Conservation. If you are serious about improving local habitat conditions, consider joining or forming a local chapter. OP

With improved habitat, where will pheasants come from?
Because of their high productivity, wild pheasants in the area can quickly populate newly-created habitats. In unpopulated areas of suitable habitat, transplanting wild birds or their offspring (F1 generation) appears to be the best solution. The first step should be an investigation of factors that have limited pheasant populations in the past—for example a lack of winter habitat or increased pesticide use.

can we realistically rebuild wild pheasant numbers?
Yes. During the past 50 years there has been a colossal amount of money spent on supplemental stocking programs by state and local governments, sportsmen's groups, and private individuals. If these dollars would have been invested in habitat restoration, hundreds of species of wildlife in addition to pheasants would have been benefited.

Here's the bottom line: When habitat conditions improve, wild pheasant populations will increase in response to that habitat.

Do improved habitat conditions include decreased numbers of predators? whistle

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Great horned owls are particularly tough on the rabbits here. I find spots in the snow every winter where a set of rabbit tracks ends and all that's left is a little fur, a couple drops of blood and big wing prints in the snow.

Is it true they taste like chicken?

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.