Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Those old timers would laugh at these current diva, man-children in the NFL. They'd probably kick them in the ass if they started to disrespect our flag.

Last edited by reivertom; 12/08/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Before they got so fancy. Many teams played in baseball parks, when it rained the infield was mud, and so were the players.

The angle strips in the end zone, ah, simpler times.

Raiders still do...until next year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Back when some of the players played both ways.

That means something different these days.

The old timers would barf to death if they saw what professional football has become.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Len Dawson, halftime of Super Bowl I.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

At least he's drinking a Fresca !

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Wonder if they could hang today?

I wonder...

Shoot..... I doubt that today’s players could hang with the old school dudes.
The old timers would bi tch slap them and drink, snort and smoke them under the table with ease.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I wonder.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Really?

I don’t think today’s players could hang partying with the old school dudes, then show up and play.

Are today’s players more fit? Sure.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

I wonder...

I would guess yes and no. Lineman have gotten so much bigger and more athletic. I used to be a giant Redskins fan when they had "the Hogs" their offensive line named that because they were all huge for the day.....averaging out at about 275lbs each with Joe Jacoby weighing an astonishing 300. Nowdays, FCS college teams have bigger lines. So lineman maybe not so much. The steel curtain and the purple gang might get overwhelmed by today's size, strength and athleticism.

I think the great skill players of yesteryear would be equally great. Rules changes favoring the passing game would help great qb's of the past be even greater......assuming they were tall enough to see over the lines! laugh Coaches don't run the ball like they used to then but the great runners of the past could certainly "hang"......they just may not be featured as much and may not be quite as big of a star as they were.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Drinking and domestic violence....then play?

Maybe not, although I would not assign the label of "tea totaler" to the current crop.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RJY66

I wonder...

I would guess yes and no. Lineman have gotten so much bigger and more athletic. I used to be a giant Redskins fan when they had "the Hogs" their offensive line named that because they were all huge for the day.....averaging out at about 275lbs each with Joe Jacoby weighing an astonishing 300. Nowdays, FCS college teams have bigger lines. So lineman maybe not so much. The steel curtain and the purple gang might get overwhelmed by today's size, strength and athleticism.

I think the great skill players of yesteryear would be equally great. Rules changes favoring the passing game would help great qb's of the past be even greater......assuming they were tall enough to see over the lines! laugh Coaches don't run the ball like they used to then but the great runners of the past could certainly "hang"......they just may not be featured as much and may not be quite as big of a star as they were.

Thats true. I remember the big names you knew of were the the running back and the quarterback. Built the teams around the running back.

A running game seems almost quaint now a days. That is an opinion made from watching the Super Bowl every year..........

Used to watch a lot of football when I lived at home.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in the old days i had a few drinks with Viking football players all good guys and ya i raised hell with them .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget "The Fearsome Foursome" of the old L.A. Rams.

Nor the Packers" "Golden Boy," Paul Hornung."

Many years ago I saw a sports writers awards show where they were honoring Gene "Big Daddy' Lipscomb. After he accepted the award, he said to the audience, "Well, you say I am the greatest lineman who ever lived. I don't know about that ... but on my good days, I don't know anyone any better."

Unfortunately, Big Daddy had a tragic end and there were those who speculated he was murdered.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 12/09/19. Reason: Correct spelling.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.