Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Using the hawk head alone makes it a handy tool for cutting meat, veggies, whatever the fugg and skinning. Plus makes travel with it a little easier if you want.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one is a riggers (or carpenter's) axe head that I put on a handle I removed from a 36" full sized axe. I cut it down, reshaped handle and obviously shaped it to fit the much smaller eye on the riggers head, it's now a 23" handle.

It's about a 1 1/2 pound head but it also has the hardened hammer poll so you can drive stakes, nails, crush heads or whatever the fug you'd do with a hammer. I'm going to make another like it so I have one for each vehicle. One of these or the tomahawk would be my choice. Playing with game/food etc I'd pick the hawk. If you gonna be Johnny builder and hammer some shiet, go with the riggers. Though I do like the longer handle. Typically they come with 13-17 inch handles, again neither fish nor fowl.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now, as my gift to you, if you decide to go either route (hawk or riggers), send to me and I'll fashion it right proper, that's assuming you aren't accustomed to working over axes.

Also, with the tomahawk, there might be the temptation to go to the bigger Cold Steel Rifleman's hawk. Don't do it. I have one, that I removed the poll from but it still has a smaller flat section you can hammer with. That said, it's enough bigger/heavier to make one handed use not that great. After playing with a bunch of them, I've found the Frontier version to be the best all around choice.

Frontier compared to Rifleman's hawk.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Frontier Hawk compared to a Council Sport Utility 28" Hudson Bay (1.75 pound head)

I know this is likely bigger than you want, but it's a hatchet head (1.3 pounds) that I put on a boys axe handle (28"). It's a frigging beast and you can really get the speed going with it (Wildlife hatchet pictured with it).

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oh, and if you think the 22" handle on the hawk is a little long, cut the fugger down. It's a straight handle so you can make it any length you want.

You can have a 14" handle for it to put in your pack, a 22" handle for cutting shiet around camp, whatever you want.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good thread, I appreciate the pics and comparisons.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by longarm
Good thread, I appreciate the pics and comparisons.

Yes sir. I have lots of other axes if anything interests you.

The biggest problem with many American axes is too high a center line, especially newer axes. Good for splitting but not for much else. Best to reprofile and give more of a convex edge. I'll see if I can get some pics to better explain in the next day or two. Snow tomorrow, so I'll be hunting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I much prefer the Basque Felling ax and the Basque Splitting ax.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Felling axes and splitting axes are a bit different than what he's asking for.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

Yup but the Basque make just about everything!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Not familiar with their line. Do you have a link to their hawks?

Still hard to beat a $15 dollar American head, a new piece of hickory and a little sweat, but that' me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you figure out what you want, an axe or hatchet you might want to consider these.

Eastwing "Carpenters" 13" 2 lbs. . Stacked leather handle. Very versatile around camp or hunting.
[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay 24" 3.2 lbs.
[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Estwings can be a little 'tiring' on the hands with the metal handle and they are heavy.

Agreed on the HB, they are a good all around, master of none axe, if you want that added length/weight. That's not being sarcastic.

I scuffed at hawks since forever, but have changed my tune that past few years, for a carry around/hunt with kind of axe.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love axes/hatchets

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Probably my favorite got off the old man, he has a twin to it that needs a handle

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Judman
I love axes/hatchets

RIght?

I'm old and retired, so I haven't touched a chainsaw in years. Not that I won't in the future and not that I have anything against them. Just that I have time and there is something relaxing about the chop, chop, chop of an axe.

One has to appreciate the history of American axe making, and cutting [bleep] up with a 100 year old axe. I'll never tell you that are more efficient than a chainsaw, or a hand saw in many situations. But they are enjoyable and allow an older guy to get a little mid-winter exercise and enjoy 'nature' without smelling gasoline and oil.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Not familiar with their line. Do you have a link to their hawks?

Still hard to beat a $15 dollar American head, a new piece of hickory and a little sweat, but that' me.

Yes there is a line let me find a link. I think most guys tend to order from a maker on a semi-custom or custom base from Spain.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Judman

Very cool Kelly broad hatchet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
An Axe to Grind manual, good read for axe lovers.

An Axe to Grind

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.