Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Midget rightwing peasant?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Last night I had a pic of a coon, a rabbit and a wildcat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you'll use the stick in front of the cat as a frame of reference for size, you'll see that the bird is much larger than the typical thrush/jay size.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly what I was thinking Paul.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I still wonder what those MFFs are. (Medium Fat Fuggers). In Montana, early November, one large group, about 100 woke me up at home on the roof and a couple Russian Olive and an Aspen tree taking a rest break.... The other smaller group pictured on the pavement a few days later.

They look like cowbirds.

The perils of photo ID: reconciling a momentary image of a bird with one you know, in that moment the apparent shape of the bird can be anything, fieldmarks become all-important.

Certainly blackbirds, possibly mixed flock.

Likely candidates: common grackle, Brewer’s blackbird, brown-headed cowbirds. All female (brown) flock.

Front ones with longer bills/tails I’m gonna go with common grackle, the rest Brewer’s blackbirds.

Birdy, do grackles get way up there in MT?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I still wonder what those MFFs are. (Medium Fat Fuggers). In Montana, early November, one large group, about 100 woke me up at home on the roof and a couple Russian Olive and an Aspen tree taking a rest break.... The other smaller group pictured on the pavement a few days later.

They look like cowbirds.

The perils of photo ID: reconciling a momentary image of a bird with one you know, in that moment the apparent shape of the bird can be anything, fieldmarks become all-important.

Likely candidates: common grackle, Brewer’s blackbird, brown-headed cowbirds. All female (brown) flock.

Front ones with longer bills/tails I’m gonna go with common grackle, the rest Brewer’s blackbirds.

Geno

Of course. Do you doubt my LBJ MFF identifrabrication skills? Sheesh.

Rufflegged grouse harrier?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Here's a turkey vulture.

Ya but what kind of bird are they really?

The ones in the front look kinda like Martin's but not sure.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Here's a turkey vulture.

Ya but what kind of bird are they really?

The ones in the front look kinda like Martin's but not sure.

Some kind of Thrush is up front...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

They look like cowbirds.

Geno

Of course. Do you doubt my LBJ MFF identifrabrication skills? Sheesh.

Rufflegged grouse harrier?

Ifn yu wurr a bettir fotografer,

weed not bee havin this diskuscion.

Geno

PS, thrushes of some sort, maybe mixed with some blackbirds? But the bills on those front ones are too long for most blackbirds, no?

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

They look like cowbirds.

Geno

Common Grackles breed across most of Canada, winter mostly in the Eastern half of the US but the photo is early November, not too late for migration. I took a second and third look at photos of common grackles, they do not have the apparent facial pattern of the front bird.

Here's the thing, the front bird looks like a dark image of a brown thrasher, down to the eye color....

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/id

...which is even more unlikely than a common grackle, dependent upon where in the West the photo was taken.

A brown thrasher out in a parking lot with blackbirds would have to be an extremely hungry brown thrasher, usually they stick to brushy cover.

Likewise those smaller birds look a lot like winter-plumage rusty blackbirds, but rusty blackbirds are fast becoming the rarest of our blackbirds, in the midst of a steep and mysterious population crash, and they are found mostly in wet brush edges and the shores of ponds and rivers...

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rusty_Blackbird/id

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ok, it's a really small cat?

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ok, it's a really small cat?

Next time I go out there I am going to put a beer can (12 oz not 40) in the frame.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cock bird.

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
birdy,

thrasher was one of my first guesses, but out in the open and in MT but I didn't think of them being that far north. Sibley map show that as summer range though.

But, in looking through the thrasher pages...................what about sage thrashers?

Might be more likely to be found in the open?

Geno

PS Boomer, no ground truthing now eek..............migratory bird act and all that.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Cock COCK bird.

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

There, I fixt it for you.

Proper campfire printing and all , you know.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geno, I might have shot three or four COCKS grand total so far this season.

Not cheap either, $100 for a Rez cock license AND another $100 for upland(sharptail, huns...etc..)....

Spent $200 to get maybe 6 birds.
(but by God I was legal.....)

Haven't been out hunting in weeks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sam, your cockshots even look good upside down.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Geno, I might have shot three or four COCKS grand total so far this season.

Not cheap either, $100 for a Rez cock license AND another $100 for upland(sharptail, huns...etc..)....

Spent $200 to get maybe 6 birds.
(but by God I was legal.....)

Haven't been out hunting in weeks.

Had to look it up, local tribe gets $125 for pheasant, non-Indian. ($5 for tribal members.) That's tribal land on former res and not very productive for pheasants. Deer costs $300. In other words non-Indians not wanted. Unless they're stupid enough to pay way too much.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a grey area.

I only hunt cocks on deeded ground(aka private property) and might not even need a license(IMHO).....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
birdy,

thrasher was one of my first guesses, but out in the open and in MT but I didn't think of them being that far north. Sibley map show that as summer range though.

But, in looking through the thrasher pages...................what about sage thrashers?

Might be more likely to be found in the open?

Geno

PS Boomer, no ground truthing now eek..............migratory bird act and all that.

Could be, seems more of a stretch for a lighter colored bird like a sage thrasher to look that dark tho.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No sage thrasher, another familiar to me.... But BHCBs are for sure here. And this summer I was certain I had others pegged as grackles. They're sure plump!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (264mag, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 48 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,844
Posts18,517,281
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.