Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Kid...where are you located?

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The hardest part for me was making really sure i had measured the place where the hole was going to be cut in the ceiling and roof.

After all of that worrying it was real easy and in the right spot.

I have mine in a corner of the living room.

It stands on tile/hardy back board and that sets on top of a hard wood floor.
There is also a sub-floor and a joist or 2 in that spot.

OH,i used single pipe in the house and then used double walled/insulated for the journey thru the ceiling and roof.

Last edited by plainsman456; 12/10/19.
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Kid...where are you located?

I’m in SW Oklahoma

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ditto on discussing with your insurance company and once agreed have a pro install it. The latter likely a requirement of the insurance company. When I was planning for my shop in Idaho I swung by State Farm to advise and see what affect it would have on my rates. The first question my agent (a good friend) asked was if I was installing a wood stove. I wasn't so all was good.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Can you still buy triple wall pipe? I was told they all went out of business, law suits.

My buddy just put a stove in his shop. He said triple wall was totally unavailable. His installation is with six inch insulated double wall, stove to cap.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
His installation is with six inch insulated double wall, stove to cap.
Ditto here. Double-wall top to bottom..

Last edited by Redneck; 12/11/19.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One guy I knew marked the center of the hole for his chimney by leveling up his .22 and firing a shot up through the roof. I told him I though a plumb bob would have accomplished the same thing better and with less drama. GD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've heard several folks give good reviews having their local metal guy make a 1/8" steel sheet with "feet" on it and I think they were saying it was about 1 1/2' gap (feet height?) on the bottom and they placed it about 2" - 3" out from the wall....said wall never even got warm behind the metal and placing their hand on the metal was warm but wouldn't burn.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by TheKid
What should I build it out of Hunts? I’m a pretty fair heavy fabricator and a decent pipe fitter, but I’m not sure on stone masonry.

Recently installed this in basement.......although NG.......

Removed old coal/wood stove....for me too much mess & fuss...NG is cheap & clean

Built the hearth frame from 2x12s....covered it with hardy backer board....had some left over

cultured fake stone....just enough I may add...the actual top is 2" x 16" pavers....the flue?

Used the existing 8" flue but added a 4" flexible metal approved gas flue & wind proof cap

The shown 6" black is just decorative...NG supply was in room above so connection was easy.....

Have two vents in ceiling that let the warm air flow upstairs..along with a ceiling fan to keep air moving

As mentioned...the hearth raises stove off the floor.....better visual & easier to feed & maintain

Suggestions are ceiling fan along with a fan in stove itself to keep air moving from the stove

Laying the cultured stone is easy....just time consuming....rocks stick like glue with Type S mortar & backer board

Linky........stove I used........

https://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.com/majestic-oxford-cast-iron-stove/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Your setup would not be legal here... Can't have that 90 degree bend in the chimney... Nor would I put those items so close to the stove.. Any stray ember and that basket's, ah, 'tinder'... smile

This is not a great pic - the camera lens is a 14mm so it looks like things are a lot closer than they are - plus, this stove is a double-wall style on the sides with a shielded fan shroud in the back.. The brick wall behind doesn't get much warmer than about 100-110 degrees.. The previous stove was single-wall and that brick wall behind would store a lot of heat to radiate back into the room later.. The pad is 6'X6' and tiled with stone.. The chimney here is 24' in total length - and straight up through the roof..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

again.......my stove set up is NG........the burner system is fully & securely enclosed screen and latched in glass face

No embers or sparks coming out.......in the long run.....much cheaper & cleaner than wood or coal

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the stove installed by a professional ....Everything else was my doing. I got 5 of my strongest friends smile and we walked a piece of 1" bluestone up the stairs leveled it and PL'd it in place, when the oak floor was installed I had them picture frame around it. I used some old flat moulding as furring strips on the walls behind it (for dead air space) and screwed 18 ga Q deck to it. I made a mantel out of a large old beam I had lying around and lag bolted it to some heavy duty L brackets I secured to the wall beforehand...Finished it off with a light sand and dark stain.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
IC B3

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That looks very nice. I like it

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,451 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,265
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.