-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know, I could find the answer by digging a little, but I'm gonna take the lazy way out and as the cognoscenti on the forum. I'm a bolt action guy with rifles and a revolver guy with handguns so I have little experience with detachable magazines. Recently, I have inherited an AR and a 1911, both of which I am enjoying.

My question is this: What is the recommended practice regarding leaving cartridges in detachable magazines for extended periods. Obviously, it would be best for the spring to unload the magazine immediately following each use. But there are clearly times when one might want a gun handy with a loaded magazine..

Is there a recommended time frame, weekly, monthly, whatever? Or is it the consensus that they can remain loaded indefinately without fatiguing the spring? TIA

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
None that I know of. Some springs don't care, others are affected. Best of course to not leave them loaded for an extended time. Never have left a rifle mag loaded, have several pistols that it does not seem to matter.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe you could check with a supplier/manufacturer?

You're only going to get opinions here and general consensus may not be right - sounds like your life may depend on it. Any other reason to keep a mag loaded for long durations?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Originally Posted by southtexas
Obviously, it would be best for the spring to unload the magazine immediately following each use.

Do you take the load off your car's suspension and valve springs each time you put it away for the night? A spring can sustain a static load within its elastic limit essentially forever. Steel structures all around the world bear witness to that. Corrosion, large numbers of load cycles, or overloading them are the sorts of factors that will put paid to a spring, not simply leaving it loaded.

You might find this interesting: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12760659/1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know on the newer pistols springs are designed to be under load indefinitely

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the comments, and the link, gentlemen. Threads like this make this forum worthwhile!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the comments, and the link, gentlemen. Threads like this make this forum worthwhile!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chrome silicon springs don't have a problem with fatiguing under a constant load.

On another note, chrome silicon replacement springs and even new mags are cheap enough to replace from time to time.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve had Magpul magazines loaded for years, they work just fine

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My understanding is that it is the number of cycles of compression, rather than the compression itself, that wears out a spring.

Given such, a magazine spring would actually last longer by loading it and leaving it alone until its next real use, rather than unloading it for storage.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Chrome silicon springs don't have a problem with fatiguing under a constant load.

No spring has a problem with fatigue under a constant load. Fatigue is not associated with being under a constant load.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Engineers tell us a properly designed and loaded spring does not weaken. And that may be true...in the lab. A half century as a heavy equipment mechanic, I can comfortably say, nonsense. In defense of the engineers argument, I have often wondered if constant exposure to the fluctuating temperatures encountered seasonally and even daily affects the spring. Kind of like gentle annealling maybe? I didn't know that cycling affected springs, until I started working around crusher operations, but it certainly does. Mag springs, logic would dictate they last a long time.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dan_oz

I was hoping that was a link to the discussion on rec.guns over 20 years ago. Some guy was really funny when he explained how different life would be if springs were affected by time.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my opinion and others smarter then me magazines and their parts are expendable and occasionally need to be replaced for what ever reason, which is why many of us engrave a number on our mags. I leave my magazines loaded and shortly after a range session I top them off. Pays to have a couple of manly grandsons with in walking distance. Thank You Lord!

I usually have about thirty of the 30 round Magpul magazines loaded all the time, about fifteen 1911 mags, maybe twenty or so Glock mags, a dozen Browning Hi Power mags, several 6.5 Creed Tikka mags., a bunch of 10-22 mags. and the 870 Rem. stays loaded as does the Marlin 1895 45-70 and one bolt action 30-06. Alaskan weather is what it is and when I hit the range I want to shoot and not freeze and spend my time loading magazines. T-shirts and sun glasses are not the norm.

So far in over 50 years, I have never noticed an issue with leaving a magazine loaded. I also believe one should always buy the best magazines for their weapon, never skimp.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bob Bell, scope guy for Gun Digest for years, picked up a 1911 in WW2.
In the 90s he tried a full magazine filled during the war.
Worked fine.
So......check every 50 years to be sure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.