Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rossimp
There has been study and proof of high impact velocity induced hydostatic shock. While bullet weights may vary, creating hydrostatic shock from small to medium bores takes impact velocities of approx. 2,600 fps on up. When considering DRT and impact velocity with shots landing in frontal area, hydrostatic shock will take effect on the CNS and brain functions even from a wound a distance away from those vital extremities. The imparted hydrostatic shock wave sent from the wound can disrupt all animal electrical motor functions rendering an animal pole-axed without actually hitting the spinal area or brain. It is possible that the animal is still very much alive, but in a comatose state from that blow. The other aspect of the kill is the hydraulic shock. You can have both, but you will always have hydraulic shock. The wound channel itself propelling bodily liquids throughout in a pulsing wave. This creates blood loss, blood pressure spikes contributes to a quick death combined with the effects of bullet destruction of organs, lungs, liver, heart, etc. So hydrostatic shock typically shows a quick animal collapse (excluding brain and spinal shots, which are a given), however it is hydraulic shock that renders death. As far as energy, I'm quite sure you could rationalize that higher energy levels, which are pretty much proportional to higher velocity levels can equate to creating greater disruption (ft-lbs of energy radiating in waves of hydrostatic and hydraulic shock). One things for certain, you need high impact velocity to induce hydrostatic shock, that's a fact. Animals always die from hydraulic shock, sometimes right there on the spot and others escape and succumb in their last hiding place.

Animals don't die due to hydraulic shock, they die by hydraulic leaks (blood loss), causing a loss of brain function. Brain function loss is also induced by physical deformation to the brain/CNS. The 'hydrostatic shock' argument is largely physically baseless, and the term itself is a contradiction in meaning. Are there instances where a surge in blood pressure causes a stroke in the animal's brain? Probably, but that's not the general case describing the mechanism by which projectiles kill animals.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That certainly constitutes a hydraulic event if you hit them and they are bleeding out (hence hydraulic since bodily liquids are flowing out) and blood pressure has spiked and dropping to critical losses,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That certainly constitutes a hydraulic event if you hit them and they are bleeding out (hence hydraulic since bodily liquids are flowing out) and blood pressure has spiked and dropping to critical losses,

A loss of hydraulic pressure, yes. But "hydraulic shock" implies that a sudden change in pressure is what kills. It doesn't have to be sudden. Blood pressure dropping below a critical point is what causes a loss of consciousness and eventually death.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hydrostatic shock is not a loss of anything per say other than a disruption in neuro functions. Hydraulic shock induces blood loss, blood pressure spikes, trauma of tissue, and organs. You can call it hydraulic loss instead of hydraulic shock but it is still onset from the shock of immediate blood loss, blood pressure spikes and malfunctions of tissue and organs directly caused by the shock of a projectile entering and creating a wound channel at any velocity.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for your eloquence Jordan Smith
am aware of the quark, flavor, fermion, stuff and wave collapse, but cant relate it as clearly as you have.

thanks even more for getting the post back on track.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

The 'hydrostatic shock' argument is largely physically baseless, and the term itself is a contradiction in meaning.

Do you think this is based in the difference between compressible and non-compressible medium?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The rapid increase in the moment of inertia of the bullet upon expansion, combined with the very high angular velocity, is certainly significant in terms of transferring lateral momentum to the surrounding tissues, whether by means of fragmentation or the petals of the primary projectile. The torque moment is higher than the retention force of the jacket when any degree of fragmentation occurs.

very insightful, never occurred to me about the moment of inertia change.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The 'hydrostatic shock' argument is largely physically baseless, and the term itself is a contradiction in meaning.

Do you think this is based in the difference between compressible and non-compressible medium?

That certainly plays a part in it, but I think more than anything there are some scientific liberties that were taken in relating the pressure waves propagating through air and tissue with electrodynamic neural function. I have yet to see convincing, peer-reviewed evidence to support that relationship or mechanism. It may exist, but to my knowledge the "hydrostatic shock" claim was never adequately substantiated.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
There has been study and proof of high impact velocity induced hydostatic shock. While bullet weights may vary, creating hydrostatic shock from small to medium bores takes impact velocities of approx. 2,600 fps on up......... Animals always die from hydraulic shock, sometimes right there on the spot and others escape and succumb in their last hiding place.

I've killed a number of elk and deer with muzzleloader bullets leaving the muzzle at around 1,500 fps.

If animals always die from "hydraulic shock," and impact velocities of 2,600 fps on up (as you say) are needed to cause it, how do you explain the death of these animals?

Was it divine intervention?

You misquoted Him! You may want to re-read what he wrote.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Trystan

If I shoot a deer sized critter with a 300 grain bullet that produces 6000 lbs of energy and it enters the rib cage at 3000 fps and exits at 2500 fps I have only used around 500 lbs of energy in the animal. This is when energy becomes largely irrelevant because while it is there it isn't used inside the animal. Large caliber, heavy bullets tend to do just that IME.

Your general idea is right, but the math isn't.
That 500 fps velocity loss does not equal 500 ft-lb of energy - it's more like 1,800 ft-lb. (3000 fps =~6,000 ft-lb, 2500 fps =~ 4200 ft-lb.)

That's more than enough power to kill any deer if the work is done in the right place, and a good example why "overkill" doesn't necessarily kill better than a smaller cartridge.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hydrostatic shock is not a loss of anything per say other than a disruption in neuro functions. Hydraulic shock induces blood loss, blood pressure spikes, trauma of tissue, and organs. You can call it hydraulic loss instead of hydraulic shock but it is still onset from the shock of immediate blood loss, blood pressure spikes and malfunctions of tissue and organs directly caused by the shock of a projectile entering and creating a wound channel at any velocity.

If you look up the definition of "hydraulic shock," it has nothing to do with blood loss. At least, no definition I could find does.

It's basically the same thing conceptually as "hydrostatic shock."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
There has been study and proof of high impact velocity induced hydostatic shock. While bullet weights may vary, creating hydrostatic shock from small to medium bores takes impact velocities of approx. 2,600 fps on up......... Animals always die from hydraulic shock, sometimes right there on the spot and others escape and succumb in their last hiding place.

I've killed a number of elk and deer with muzzleloader bullets leaving the muzzle at around 1,500 fps.

If animals always die from "hydraulic shock," and impact velocities of 2,600 fps on up (as you say) are needed to cause it, how do you explain the death of these animals?

Yep, I see what you mean. I'm thinking "hydrostatic shock" and "hydraulic shock" are basically the same thing and Rossimp is using "hydraulic shock" differently. If I'm reading him right, he's using "hydraulic shock" in the same way an MD uses plain old "shock" to mean what happens when you have a lot of blood loss. I think he's using the term hydraulic shock incorrectly. If you look it up, it means this:

"Hydraulic shock is the sudden elevation in line pressure caused by a shock wave created by the sudden change in velocity of a non-compressible liquid (especially water)."

I believe the correct term for what Rossimp means is "hemorrhagic shock."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Animals don't die due to hydraulic shock, they die by hydraulic leaks (blood loss), causing a loss of brain function.
Brain function loss is also induced by physical deformation to the brain/CNS. The 'hydrostatic shock' argument is
largely physically baseless,

Hydrostatic Shock theory proponents should first explain what is fundamentally 'hydrostatic' about the process.,
considering that in the branch of physics known as - fluid mechanics -

HYDROSTATICS deals with the characteristics of fluids at rest.
whereas-
HYDRODYNAMICS deals with fluids in motion and the forces acting on solid bodies immersed in fluids.

Hydrostatic Shock: Typically induced at 2,600 fps effecting neuro-electric bodily functions from impact velocity at that velocity rate.

The imparted hydrostatic shock wave sent from the wound can disrupt all animal electrical motor functions rendering
an animal pole-axed without actually hitting the spinal area or brain..

is this more explanatory of what you are suggesting/getting at?

quote]...

"The reason why game animals drop instantly with chest shots that do not directly strike the CNS, is due to hydrostatic shock transfer
to the spine which passes through to the brain. A high velocity cartridge well matched to game body weights imparts over half its energy
within the first 2cm of penetration, creating a shock wave. This electrical shock wave travels outwards via the rib cage until it reaches
the spine and then continues through to the brain (CNS). The result is an immediate loss of consciousness as the body shuts down
for diagnostics".

goes on to say:

"High velocity is not however a sole factor to be worshipped and held above other factors. For example, if velocity is increased too far without
increasing bullet weight, the surface tension of water within the animal can cause so much resistance as to overcome the energy of the bullet.
Ultra-high velocities can then also lead to shallow penetration. Generally speaking, the high velocity cut off point for small bore bullets used on
medium game is around 3150fps. If for example we are using a 140 grain 7mm bullet at an impact velocity of 3250fps, chances are that even
if the bullet penetrates vitals, the animal may still run some distance".

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman

Animals don't die due to hydraulic shock, they die by hydraulic leaks (blood loss), causing a loss of brain function.
Brain function loss is also induced by physical deformation to the brain/CNS. The 'hydrostatic shock' argument is
largely physically baseless,

Hydrostatic Shock theory proponents should first explain what is fundamentally 'hydrostatic' about the process.,
considering that in the branch of physics known as - fluid mechanics -

HYDROSTATICS deals with the characteristics of fluids at rest.
whereas-
HYDRODYNAMICS deals with fluids in motion and the forces acting on solid bodies immersed in fluids.

Precisely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

quote]...

"The reason why game animals drop instantly with chest shots that do not directly strike the CNS, is due to hydrostatic shock transfer
to the spine which passes through to the brain. A high velocity cartridge well matched to game body weights imparts over half its energy
within the first 2cm of penetration, creating a shock wave. This electrical shock wave travels outwards via the rib cage until it reaches
the spine and then continues through to the brain (CNS). The result is an immediate loss of consciousness as the body shuts down
for diagnostics".

goes on to say:

"High velocity is not however a sole factor to be worshipped and held above other factors. For example, if velocity is increased too far without
increasing bullet weight, the surface tension of water within the animal can cause so much resistance as to overcome the energy of the bullet.
Ultra-high velocities can then also lead to shallow penetration. Generally speaking, the high velocity cut off point for small bore bullets used on
medium game is around 3150fps. If for example we are using a 140 grain 7mm bullet at an impact velocity of 3250fps, chances are that even

Where did you find this non-sense?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Yep, I see what you mean. I'm thinking "hydrostatic shock" and "hydraulic shock" are basically the same thing and Rossimp is using "hydraulic shock" differently. If I'm reading him right, he's using "hydraulic shock" in the same way an MD uses plain old "shock" to mean what happens when you have a lot of blood loss. I think he's using the term hydraulic shock incorrectly. If you look it up, it means this:

"Hydraulic shock is the sudden elevation in line pressure caused by a shock wave created by the sudden change in velocity of a non-compressible liquid (especially water)."

I believe the correct term for what Rossimp means is "hemorrhagic shock."

That is what I was describing above. Medical "shock" is what happens when there is a sufficient loss of hydraulic pressure. "Hydraulic shock" implies the cause of the effect is a sudden change in hydraulic pressure, but the change need not be sudden for the blood loss to cause unconsciousness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Effective+Game+Killing.html

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Makes sense now. This isn't the first time I've come across misinformation on his site.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Makes sense now. This isn't the first time I've come across misinformation on his site.

😂😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

quote]...

for diagnostics".

goes on to say:

That is some special kind of crazy (& stupid) right there. It's right up there with the Cavity Back Bullets marketing claims.

A person who believes that stuff has no business trying to explain anything about this topic to someone else.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.