Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I've only seen them on Beans site recently.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably have an original one. If you want it I’ll look.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Snow & Nealley good quality or hype? The Hudson Bay model they make is slick looking.
Council 2# Hudson Bay too.

They used to be alright, but IIRC they then took production over seas. Then a couple years ago, they were bought and the new owner was restoring production in ME. This is all from fuzzy memory.

I've read the heads are made someplace in the mid-west and assembled in Maine. I've not laid my hands on a newer version.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I probably have an original one. If you want it I’ll look.

I'd definitely be interested in one. Thanks Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
An Axe to Grind manual, good read for axe lovers.

An Axe to Grind

Good stuff! Thanks for "hanging" that.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Now that post image is up, here are two of my favorites.
The plumb needs a correct handle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That Plumb would be fun to hang. Looks more like a Rockaway pattern.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Husqvarna axes are made in Sweden by Hults Bruks I think. Anyway they are quality for the price. I like to carry the 13 inch hatchet hiking. I also have the carpenters axe, but it is a little big to carry for me. I buy them on "sale" at amazon and use my free credit card points. I sharpen them up and give them away to friends. 40 bucks shipped is a good price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-57...ative=165953&creativeASIN=B00HC077GQ

https://www.awesomeaxes.com/husqvarna-carpenters-axe-review/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Either of these two Wetterlings axes would do the job. I bought the smaller one back in 2001, the 19 inch in 2009. Both have done everything I have asked of them. They are great tools in the woods for clearing downed trees off trails, making kindling, or cleaning a campsite. The smaller ax has even processed some hogs.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oh, one a forgot. Pretty indestructible, Fiskars X15 23" axe

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Chop...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There are just too many good old axe heads around for cheap to spend $150, or more, on an axe in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey gawdammit....You're blowing my sale...grin

should I drop the price to $140?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Hey gawdammit....You're blowing my sale...grin

should I drop the price to $140?

That wasn't directed your way! Yours is a quality piece.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snow & Nealley good quality or hype? The Hudson Bay model they make is slick looking.
Council 2# Hudson Bay too.

They used to be alright, but IIRC they then took production over seas. Then a couple years ago, they were bought and the new owner was restoring production in ME. This is all from fuzzy memory.

Snow & Nealley® axes are being made once again in the USA thanks to an Amish man and his sons who bought the iconic brand. Caring deeply about their work, they drop forge each blade from high carbon steel, then hand-temper, grind and finish it. The result is top notch craftsmanship you'll notice.

My Snow & Nealley was bought in the late 1980's.
[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are just too many good old axe heads around for cheap to spend $150, or more, on an axe in my opinion.

Girlhunter;
Good evening, I trust that this finds you well and you're as ready for Christmas as you hoped to be.

It would seem that axes are an affinity that crosses cultures and borders, thanks for the interesting photos and ideas on the various uses and types. In particular, I've got to agree with your thoughts that very good projects can be had for much less than $150USD, but then I seem to enjoy projects as much as axes.... blush

We've got all sorts of "flea market" areas up here across the medicine line - typically on either Saturday or Sunday - where one can find all sorts of old used ax heads, usually in fair to good condition for very reasonable prices.

For years I picked up anything that looked to be made in Sweden as well as decent US made ones. Someday I'll empty the vehicles and take some photos of the finished ones as well as some of the interesting project heads still waiting handles.

Like you, I've been experimenting with longer handles on lighter heads and not only are they safer to use - further from one's own limbs, shins and such, but they're a different animal with an extra foot of handle somehow are they not? cool

For shorter stuff, I've been playing with reshaping roofing hammers into handy little 12oiz -14oz tomahawks which cut all out of proportion to their size. It doesn't hurt that they look sorta cool too.

Lastly, I've been fooling with a couple double bit axes - using them mainly for splitting and experimenting with different types of sharpening to see what works best.

Anyway, it's cool to know I'm not the only ax aficionado out there!

All the best to you and yours this Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Girlhunter;
Good evening, I trust that this finds you well and you're as ready for Christmas as you hoped to be.

It would seem that axes are an affinity that crosses cultures and borders, thanks for the interesting photos and ideas on the various uses and types. In particular, I've got to agree with your thoughts that very good projects can be had for much less than $150USD, but then I seem to enjoy projects as much as axes.... blush

We've got all sorts of "flea market" areas up here across the medicine line - typically on either Saturday or Sunday - where one can find all sorts of old used ax heads, usually in fair to good condition for very reasonable prices.

For years I picked up anything that looked to be made in Sweden as well as decent US made ones. Someday I'll empty the vehicles and take some photos of the finished ones as well as some of the interesting project heads still waiting handles.

Like you, I've been experimenting with longer handles on lighter heads and not only are they safer to use - further from one's own limbs, shins and such, but they're a different animal with an extra foot of handle somehow are they not? cool

For shorter stuff, I've been playing with reshaping roofing hammers into handy little 12oiz -14oz tomahawks which cut all out of proportion to their size. It doesn't hurt that they look sorta cool too.

Lastly, I've been fooling with a couple double bit axes - using them mainly for splitting and experimenting with different types of sharpening to see what works best.

Anyway, it's cool to know I'm not the only ax aficionado out there!

All the best to you and yours this Christmas season.

Dwayne

Agreed on the smaller heads on a longer handle. Much under appreciated. That said, I believe axes are an 'afterthought' in today's world.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just in the local hardware store and happened to look at axe handles after reading this thread.

Holy crap!.......$$$$$$$$$$

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by VernAK
I was just in the local hardware store and happened to look at axe handles after reading this thread.

Brand? How much? The ones I get from my local guy range from $7 to $9 per.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Something to use one handed, limbing, cutting saplings, splitting kindling, butchering, general purpose, carry on a pack or in the back of the truck.
Granfors bruks, hults bruk, others? Models?
Need help here, just haven't done the research to figure out what's available.

Just used my Granfors a couple days ago to take out some thick mature landscaping plants in my front bed.

Darn near effortless.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK

Brand? How much? The ones I get from my local guy range from $7 to $9 per.

I'll check the brand again but prices ranged from $25 to $35......I'll have to check Sampson's
in Fairbanks on my next trip.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.