Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pretty wild.

Self-Driving Truck Transports 40,000 Pounds Of Butter 2,800 Miles Across The Country

In late November, a Silicon Valley startup took a chance and sent an autonomous truck on a 2,800- mile trek from Tulare, California, to Quakertown, Pennsylvania, carrying 40,000 pounds of Land O’Lakes butter, likely the first commercial freight cross-country trip by an autonomous truck.

It worked. Plus.ai, located in Cupertino, insured the project by equipping the truck with a safety driver who could take over the driving if something went wrong as well as a safety engineer to monitor the ride. Shawn Kerrigan, co-founder and COO of Plus.ai, stated, “We wanted to demonstrate the safety, reliability and maturity of our overall system.”

Kerrigan claimed the system employed cameras, radar and lidar — laser-based technology to help vehicles determine distance, according to the Santa Cruz Sentinel. Breaks were scheduled along the route but most of the journey the truck drove itself. Kerrigan said there were no instances where the self-driving system was suspended. He said Plus.ai has been running freight every week for roughly one year.

Land O’Lakes chief supply officer Yone Dewberry cheered, “To be able to address this peak demand with a fuel-and-cost-effective freight transport solution will be tremendously valuable to our business.”

Popular Mechanics reported of Plus.ai:

The founders, a group of Stanford Ph.D. students, knew that trucking—which has been experiencing a labor shortage since 2003, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)—is the primary method for shipping goods across the U.S. So they decided to apply their artificial intelligence know-how to long-haul trucking, building out the full-stack self-driving technology needed to make a cross country freight trip possible.

The Sentinel added, “Dan Ives, managing director of equity research for Wedbush Securities, predicts there will be quite a few autonomous freight-delivery pilots in 2020 and 2021, with the beginning of a commercial rollout in 2022 … The timeline will depend on regulations, which vary state to state, he said.”

Last year Embark Trucks sent an autonomous truck 2,400 miles across the country but the truck transported no freight. Popular Mechanics noted that according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, there are now 65 companies that hold a California Autonomous Vehicle Testing License.

McKinsey & Company pointed out, “Sixty-five percent of the nation’s consumable goods are trucked to market. With full autonomy, operating costs would decline by about 45 percent, saving the US for-hire trucking industry between $85 billion and $125 billion.”

McKinsey theorized that the rollout of autonomous trucks would be comprised of four waves: The first wave will feature connecting a convoy of trucks wirelessly to a lead truck, which would still require a driver in each truck. In the second wave, roughly five to seven years from now, a driver would inhabit the lead truck and unmanned trucks would follow. A driver would take over when the truck left the highway.

The third wave, seven to ten years from now, would entail unmanned trucks driving the highways and drivers meeting them at the exits to steer them to their destination. The fourth wave, roughly ten years from now, would feature unmanned trucks driving from loading to delivery.

Carpe' Scrotum

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
How are the county mounties gonna ticket them?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Might cut down on revenue in some places?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
With CDL truckers being one of the industries most needing future workers, how is this new technology going to affect the job market.

In a short ten years from now, if their timeline is accurate, how many more unemployed drivers will there be. Right now as I understand it, if you hold a CDL you can find work today. One might not like the job, or the company, but you can find work.

Going to be really interesting to see, especially these proposed convoys
The first wave will feature connecting a convoy of trucks wirelessly to a lead truck, which would still require a driver in each truck. In the second wave, roughly five to seven years from now, a driver would inhabit the lead truck and unmanned trucks would follow.

How much room between trucks will be required so other travelers can pass safely? Will the convoy get bunched up on hills? Will non-autonomous trucks, driven by the same folks there are driving now, try to pass on a grade and not get back into the travel lane and allow faster traffic to pass?

And the savings? Will they be passed on to the consumers? (LOL, yeah, right)
With full autonomy, operating costs would decline by about 45 percent

I foresee problems, then again, maybe it might work for the better in some places, as it's a real pain in the ass to travel at or near the speed limit for non-truck traffic in those states where there are differential limits, when the trucks are supposed to be going 55 mph and regular traffic can legally go 65. Of course, there's always a truck going 62-63 which limits safe areas to pass. Perhaps these autonomous trucks will be set to obey the speed limit, or like some companies now, just kept at a maximum of 55 for fuel savings?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I wouldn't want to be in the driver's seat if the truck did something wrong.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Someday there will be a limited role. I plan to give them a wide berth.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Boomer,

I can sure imagine they'll be popular in the Outback of Australia.

And the American west?

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Very specific lanes, like a part of terminal to terminal FedEx and UPS type businesses maybe. Even autonomous, they are not going to be running around empty. They will need a whole new support apperatus. Of course there's going to be crashes, just like the cars but bigger and will get more attention. Some day, when we're all running hydrogen, we'll have a percentage autonomous trucks I suppose.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
NO dude, it's gonna be like Convoy on 40 East, all the way across the desert in SoCal, AZ, NM, and N TX.

10:4 Rubber Ducky and all that.

Or maybe like Every Which Way but Loose..............except with the Orang.

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Roger that.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So do they get a pass on scales or do they have to pull through them. And what if the scale master throws the park and bring your papers light? Or what happens on a blowout at speed. There are a bunch of questions that the real world will bring up.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Consider too that a steady run, they're replacing 2 drivers not just one

I imagine the economics of it are very attractive.

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It was only 40000 lbs? How much does a refer hold? I do 48000 lbs on a flatbed. I always thought they can do 45000 lbs in a van.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Reefer about 44. Dry van about 45.

--- Kid Rock 2022

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have weighed in a lot of over the road refer units which were on the lighter side of 33,000, which gives them room for 47,000 net.

But an AI refer truck can probably come in under 30 K #, with no driver, no sleeper, no food and water in the truck, no TV, no sleeper heater or AC, no generator. That will let the carrier schedule higher payload runs.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one thing that might help is since they are autonomous they can operate from like 8pm to 6am and not clog the interstates, plus with networking traffic software that is intelligent like Waze they can changes routes on the fly to address congested traffic. I also suspect we'll see some standardized communication between autonomous automobiles at some point soon so they will talk to each other about passing, speed, road conditions, etc.,

I doubt we'll see trucks without humans in them in 10 years but I can see them not have to work the controls.

autonomous driving when it becomes standard, along with the electric vehicle is going to radically alter alot of peripheral business like hotels, interstate gas stations, rest areas, parking lots, etc.,

Last edited by KFWA; 12/12/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Judging by how this is playing in the railroad industry, the job of "driver" is going to be a lot different, but not necessarily easier. Can't stop paying attention, because stuff happens. But paying attention gets much more difficult when things largely run themselves. I expect that drivers will still be held accountable if regulations are broken.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Screw that crap... Tesla's tried a few and they've crashed... THAT is just a car.. How many will die when a 80,000# 'self-driving' semi goes haywire? No thanks....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I work in the semi-truck manufacturing industry. My employer has a vested interest in this. The fleets say that there will always be a human in the cab because some loads value at $5,000,000. 4 guys in minivans have shown how easily that load can be hijacked without a driver by defeating the sensors.

Last edited by 19352012; 12/12/19.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.