Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What do you approve of, what do you like, and don't like, and what you are neutral on?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sets my teeth on edge for no apparent reason. Too cutesy I guess.

[Linked Image from worldnationaldays.com]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That's new to me, what is it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is the picture that changed the world's Christmas celebrations. It's an engraving of Queen Victoria with her husband, Prince Albert, and their kids. It appeared in a magazine or newspaper in 1848, probably in black and white. In those days, people world wide worshiped royalty like they do movie stars today. What the queen or king or some duke or dutchess did was what every one did, including in the US.
Up to this time, Christmas trees were pretty much limited to German homes. People would do some decorating, but trees were very scarce. Then the queen appeared with their tree and suddenly the whole civilized world just HAD to have a tree. It's gone on from there.

As a side note, this same guy, Prince Albert, almost single handedly killed the entire North American fur trading industry. At that time, men's hats were made of beaver felt and everyone who was anyone wore one. Then Albert saw a silk hat in a hat store in London and like it. He bought it and almost instantly, no one wore beaver any more. They all demanded silk. Bales of beaver rotted on docks in the US because they weren't worth what it cost to ship them to England. By coincidence, this happened at exactly the same time as American streams were being trapped out. Albert might have saved the beaver from extinction.

[Linked Image from hips.hearstapps.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No "L", Noel.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That's new to me, what is it?
No L.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ah ha, just a lazy way?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Be prepared !

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FROM THE ARTICLE -
" ... Up to this time, Christmas trees were pretty much limited to German homes. ..."

The English palace at that time would have been a "German" home. Queen Vicki and Prince Al were both of German lineage, so their Christmas tree would have been a custom of their German culture. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the lights and decorations. I still watch the Christmas specials like Frosty The Snowman and Rudolph and The Grinch like I did when I was a kid! I especially love going to church and singing the songs celebrating the birth of Our Savior!
Other than a few Christmas Carols that are annoying, the only thing that bothers me is Wifey’s constant worrying over every little detail. If she’d learn to relax and not sweat the little things, the season would be wonderful.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like bells, and the carols that celebrate the birth of Christ.

I've seen no bell ringers yet this year. I wonder why?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I love the lights and decorations. I still watch the Christmas specials like Frosty The Snowman and Rudolph and The Grinch like I did when I was a kid! I especially love going to church and singing the songs celebrating the birth of Our Savior!...
7mm

This sounds like me. I would add that I like gifts, giving (and yes, receiving) - I even enjoy shopping for them and wrapping them. I love Christmas trees. I like having more people than normal who are willing to smile and return a greeting. I like snow. I love having the kids and grandkids around. I appreciate and hold dear the true meaning of Christmas, but I get sick and tired of people who decry the fun of secular Christmas.

Edited to add: I just do not see a cross as a symbol of Christmas. Easter, yes, but not Christmas; I don't see people putting up a star at Easter. To everything, there is a season.

Last edited by 5sdad; 12/12/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like bells, and the carols that celebrate the birth of Christ.

I've seen no bell ringers yet this year. I wonder why?

You mean Salvation Army? They’ve been out just about everywhere here since the day after Thanksgiving. I hardly ever go by one without dropping a buck or two in the kettle.
I was in Johnstown the morning after the flood in 1977. The water was still waist deep, but the Salvation Army was already there in several places giving out soup, sandwiches and coffee. The Red Cross showed up two days later.
Rock Chuck, I never knew that Prince Albert was the guy who started the silk hat craze. Very interesting.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Maybe I did not get the stores where they were?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Silver bells. A good song too.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe I did not get the stores where they were?

I saw an unmanned, kettleless stand the other day that had a sign on it telling how to donate electronically.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was pleased to put a couple of bucks into the red pot at Sam's in El Paso on Monday. They are out there, look for them.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here in Clarksville Tn, someone has been dropping a gold Krugerrand into one of the pots for the last several years.

Wonder if that happens in Billings...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from media.beliefnet.com]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

742 members (01Foreman400, 16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.