Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm getting a dozen junk e-mails every day for Tac flashlights, Tac pencils, Tac toilet paper....I must not be one of the cool kids because my flashlights are fairly plain.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If they have to pester you to buy several for cheap they aren't worth the batteries in them.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I know the post was in jest, but for those in the market, or just curious:

For the last 5 years or so, the best, brightest, longest running flashlights that serious, professional folks use (first responders, law enforcement, etc) have generally been Cree XM-L LED's, with 18650 batteries (or CR123s, for sub-compact form factors), or something similar. These lights outflood and outlast maglights or any other lame incandescent cop light 10x over. If you are not familiar with the 18650 battery form factor and are serious about lighting, look it up. 21700's are becoming popular as well, and is a form factor I am investing in.

Well, technology continues to improve and those who are in the know are now running XHP70 and XHP90 LEDs. Headlight bright (or better) in the palm of your hand. And 18650 (and 21700, and other Li batteries in well regulated lights) don't dim with use. The run 100% power and brightness until the battery is drained - the power curve is horizontal. You get 100% brightness until the last second of use.

If you buy a decent brand, these lights can go from retina-burning-bright turbo modes (*hours* of run time) to emergency-run-time 10 candlepower low mode (HUNDREDS of hours of runtime, on one charge). People that run around hundreds of yards underground in caves for a living, SAR, work in the dark, etc, trust these form factors.

My XHP70.2 (18650x2) has a strobe setting that will blind any/all bystanders within 100 yards, no joke. It was $40, and it is my primary tactical tool in my truck, ahead of my 9MM.

I believe that a flexible, long lasting torch (one you can run on 3000 lumen for 2 hours, or 50 lumen for 200 hours, for example) is a highly underrated tactical tool.

Last edited by duck911; 12/12/19.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Define "tactical".

I have several Streamlights of various models both handheld and weapon-mounted. A Sure-Fire given as a gift, three Klarus XT-11s and most recently, an Olight M2T Warrior. All of them will fry retinas and draw blood on impact. Well, the SL Poly-Tac isn't designed for drawing blood, but I managed to do so with it. The Sure-Fire is an old 6-Z I got for Xmas in the late 90s. I upgraded the lamp assembly to LED a few years ago and it still runs without issues. It rides on my vest carrier as a backup.

IMHO, Streamlight is the best bang for the buck.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Another Streamlight fan here.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Meh, for me. It's like my buddies with their 5 D-cell Maglites. Great if you need to club a small Colorado black bear over the noggin point blank, but pretty much worthless if you want to blind him at 30 yards.

Streamlight doesn't even have a XM-L in their catalog, that I can tell, let alone XHP's.. They are GENERATIONS behind in LED tech.

Fenix, Olight, Klarus, and others embrace the newest tech. SO MANY great, bright, indestructible latest tech lights on the market for the buck - no need to pay so much for overpriced, black cop lights.

Last edited by duck911; 12/12/19.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never had a Streamlight that was worth a damn. I think I've given away or sold all but two Surefire's. Surefires are just way overrated and over expensive IMO. I haven't heard of Olight or Klarus, but Fenix is dependable technology and overall I agree with his posts.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any thoughts on led lensor?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT
Any thoughts on led lensor?

I got one of those about 4 years ago - I bought it with a scope clamp and remote switch and put it on my 22 to shoot rabbits.

Small and lightweight and good battery life. The rabbits don't seem to like it though.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 5 years ago I bought a $10 Tac-ish sort of 1-AA cell flashlight that I carry in my pocket. Middle age has set in, and my vision in the dark just ain't what it used to be. I use it pretty regularly.

A few weeks ago, honorable #3 son,Angus (in his early 20's) was going on about getting a $50 Tac flaslight and how useful it would be. He wanted us both to get one.

"Yes, but mine only costs $10"

"But this is soooo much better."

"Yes," I replied,"But mine's special." I brought it out. "Mine has. . . a normal setting. . . a bright setting. . . "

"So?????"

"Yes, but does it have this?" I turned it on the continuous flash setting and held it over my head. I started dancing. "Does it have a disco setting?"

My son walked away, not understanding that sometimes you just need to get down and boogie on the spot. I guess he's not of that age.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No. And I don't belong to USCCA, either..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like my Streamlights. Super bright!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm a new Olight fan. I have a couple others but just ordered a weapon light and a couple flashlights as gifts. They're impressive, appear to be well made. Time will tell.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still like my big Maglite rechargeable, and my two Streamlight Stinger rechargeable lights. One of the Stingers was given to me by my brother in law, who used it daily as a Federal Officer. I put in a LED upgrade, and it still matches up well against the new chinese cheapies. I figure it's got 20 years on it, and still works, is reliable, and completely functional.
I have a number of new tech lights as well, and they are great, but the switches and internals may, or most likely may not be as long term reliable.
All of my weapon lights are either Surefire or Streamlight.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/13/19.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I found one of these (similar) on closeout at Academy a couple of years ago. It is INSANELY bright with a adjustable focus such that you could put a spot on a deer's side at 50 yards. It comes with some stuff to mount it to a gun and a remote pressure switch. It has a quick flash/burst mode that I guess is intended to disorient bad guys. That, it will do! I wish I had bought more. Battery life is not great given the intensity.

https://www.nebotools.com/p/O2-BEAM-RC/598

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/13/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Olight S2R batton II, when its dark and I am out and about its clipped into my left pocket.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duck911

Meh, for me. It's like my buddies with their 5 D-cell Maglites. Great if you need to club a small Colorado black bear over the noggin point blank, but pretty much worthless if you want to blind him at 30 yards.

Streamlight doesn't even have a XM-L in their catalog, that I can tell, let alone XHP's.. They are GENERATIONS behind in LED tech.

Fenix, Olight, Klarus, and others embrace the newest tech. SO MANY great, bright, indestructible latest tech lights on the market for the buck - no need to pay so much for overpriced, black cop lights.

My Maglight's a 3 cell. It's not near as bright as some LED's I got on Amazon for $5 each. Maglight came out with an LED conversion that I tried but it didn't make enough difference to matter. It's been sitting in a drawer for several years. I suppose I should take the old batteries out but I'm not likely to ever use it again.

The brightest lights I have a 2 Coast headlamps that I got from Costco for $20/pair. They use 3 AAA's and will light up the trees at 100 yds.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 12/13/19.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by duck911
I know the post was in jest, but for those in the market, or just curious:

For the last 5 years or so, the best, brightest, longest running flashlights that serious, professional folks use (first responders, law enforcement, etc) have generally been Cree XM-L LED's, with 18650 batteries (or CR123s, for sub-compact form factors), or something similar. These lights outflood and outlast maglights or any other lame incandescent cop light 10x over. If you are not familiar with the 18650 battery form factor and are serious about lighting, look it up. 21700's are becoming popular as well, and is a form factor I am investing in.

Well, technology continues to improve and those who are in the know are now running XHP70 and XHP90 LEDs. Headlight bright (or better) in the palm of your hand. And 18650 (and 21700, and other Li batteries in well regulated lights) don't dim with use. The run 100% power and brightness until the battery is drained - the power curve is horizontal. You get 100% brightness until the last second of use.

If you buy a decent brand, these lights can go from retina-burning-bright turbo modes (*hours* of run time) to emergency-run-time 10 candlepower low mode (HUNDREDS of hours of runtime, on one charge). People that run around hundreds of yards underground in caves for a living, SAR, work in the dark, etc, trust these form factors.

My XHP70.2 (18650x2) has a strobe setting that will blind any/all bystanders within 100 yards, no joke. It was $40, and it is my primary tactical tool in my truck, ahead of my 9MM.

I believe that a flexible, long lasting torch (one you can run on 3000 lumen for 2 hours, or 50 lumen for 200 hours, for example) is a highly underrated tactical tool.

Give us a couple links to some of the best values in what you're talking about. It's Christmas shopping season, after all.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Me too. Constant companion for a few years now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.