Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I sold a few rifles and now I have to ship them to the ffl of the new owners. I don't have the factory boxes. What do all of you use?

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put it in a box in a box, or at least a padded case in a box. If you think you tapped it and added enough packing material, think some more and add some more.

I order shipping boxes from U-Line.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Go buy a cheapo hard case and ship it in that. Wrap the case in shipping paper.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Unless you are half a retard, you can make boxes to fit other boxes with a little cutting and a bunch of tape.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Whatchaketchemon
Go buy a cheapo hard case and ship it in that. Wrap the case in shipping paper.

Make sure you buy EXTRA insurance.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
UPS stores sell Rifle boxes.That and plenty of bubble wrap works good.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Order cheap plastic gun cases, $19.95 or less, online and they come in a box. You can also order gun shipping boxes. IIRC UPS requires firearms be shipped in a “new” box, but I’ve never seen it enforced.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive bought cheap plastic hard cases from amazon before and they came in a plain brown box perfect for reshipping. Your local gun shop is also a good place to get boxes. Usually they are overrun by them.
Make sure you charge the buyer enough for shipping as it will probably cost more than you think. I just mailed a Remington 870 from Michigan to Washington and it cost $52. Rates have gone up.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I do more than expected to ship a rifle. Buy a $10 hard case at Walmart, pack that where the rifle doesn’t move around inside the case. Then put in a cardboard box. I want there to be ZERO issues when buyer opens box. It isn’t cheap if you do it right. It’s worth it though...

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I do more than expected to ship a rifle. Buy a $10 hard case at Walmart, pack that where the rifle doesn’t move around inside the case. Then put in a cardboard box. I want there to be ZERO issues when buyer opens box. It isn’t cheap if you do it right. It’s worth it though...

Amen.

If you just throw it in a plastic rifle case, I guarantee that [bleep] will get [bleep] up. That [bleep] shouldn't move a millimeter.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Plastic hard case ,then cardboard box.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Stop at your local gun shop, they usually have a pile of cardboard gun boxes out back and are more than willing to get rid of them. I am talking a real gun shop, not one of the chain stores.If not many of the previous suggestions work as well.

Last edited by jdunham; 12/14/19.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[align:center][/align]Uline or other gun box, or quality corporate box, wrap gun in Wal-Mart mattress topper. Zero issues over the years. Of course, the cheap hardside from Amazon works best. I've cut down television boxes even, they are very stout.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shippers require the outside to be bland with no indication there is a gun inside.

Salmonhead
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Walmart has a wonderful hard case for $10 that is squared off and easy to fold heavy cardboard around for extra protection. Put packing material around the gun inside the hard case so it doesn't move around when you jerk on the closed case. I learned the hard way that a gun will go right through the end of those cases when some gorilla throws it into a truck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You also might want to break the gun down when shipping, it’s easier to find a box that will fit it. Just wrap all the parts well.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use the $20 plastic hard cases from Walmart or other places. I then wrap a lot of the case with duct tape so it’s not going to open at all unless someone cuts the tape off. Then just ship it that way through post office. No other box is needed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I also buy boxes from Uline. I save pieces of 3/8"-1/2" OSB and 1/4" plywood and whatever else is available and construct wooden boxes that fit perfectly inside the Uline boxes. I also save foam packing material and bubble-wrap. I either wrap in the saved materials or place gun in a saved soft gun case and put inside the wooden box and then inside the cardboard. I have never had a single issue with a shipment and have been told my shipping boxes could be dragged behind the UPS truck without damaging the contents. Some extra effort, but well worth avoiding any issues. When I have enough materials, I make up a bunch of boxes ahead of time.

yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shipping in a gun case alone without outer box is a big no no , along with labeling the shops name if it has “gun” in the name . I use abbreviations or owners name instead as long as you have the right address it’s fine. Attracting attention to a gun even though it legal to ship is a big red flag.
Also insurance is very hard if not impossible to make a claim against. Shipping companies make it very hard to do so.

Last edited by yar; 12/14/19.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Adluginb
I use the $20 plastic hard cases from Walmart or other places. I then wrap a lot of the case with duct tape so it’s not going to open at all unless someone cuts the tape off. Then just ship it that way through post office. No other box is needed.

To my knowledge, it is not legal for an individual to ship a rifle through the USPS. It has to go through a FFL, with paperwork to another FFL, to be legal through the mail.
Some good ideas here but I would never ship a firearm in a hard case WITHOUT BEING IN AN OUTER BOX.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,917
Posts18,518,767
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.