Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by donsm70
To my knowledge, it is not legal for an individual to ship a rifle through the USPS. It has to go through a FFL, with paperwork to another FFL, to be legal through the mail.

That's incorrect. Fine for a private individual to ship a long gun USPS.

Here's the best solution in my opinion: https://www.cameronpackaging.com/gun_boxes_custom_fit.html#StandardCustomRifle

Next to that, a cheap hard case in the box it came in.

Last edited by Legionnaire; 12/14/19. Reason: Tone.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been in a few hubs and local stations for UPS and FedEx. Everyone who ships anything should have the opportunity to watch the process at least once. Then maybe people would understand why your crap or heirloom china looks like it fell from a two story building and was hit by a dump truck before skipping across a river and bouncing off a ripper on a D9 Cat. Two words.....strapping tape. And lots of it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Islanderflyer
Your local gun shop is also a good place to get boxes. Usually they are overrun by them.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This always works for me. And don’t skimp on the wide strapping tape!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
My local FedEx drop service (e.g. pack-n-ship) is now requiring that I demonstrate to them the rifle is not loaded and there is no ammo in the box. It's a royal PITA. I have to do all the bubble wrapping, boxing and taping in the store after their inspection. When I asked about it, they said it was a recent directive from FedEx. But I've found FedEx still to be the least expensive option. Insurance through the USPS can often cost more than the shipping itself.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To my knowledge, it is not legal for an individual to ship a rifle through the USPS. It has to go through a FFL, with paperwork to another FFL, to be legal through the mail.

It is perfectly OK for a non-FFL to ship a long gun USPS. However a non-FFL may not ship a hand gun by USPS.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrchongo
[quote=donsm70]To my knowledge, it is not legal for an individual to ship a rifle through the USPS. It has to go through a FFL, with paperwork to another FFL, to be legal through the mail.

Incorrect . Perfectly legal for an non ffl to ship to an ffl in another state.

Just use lots of bubble wrap and padding when you box up a rifle.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 12/14/19.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cjkostic
I also buy boxes from Uline. I save pieces of 3/8"-1/2" OSB and 1/4" plywood and whatever else is available and construct wooden boxes that fit perfectly inside the Uline boxes. I also save foam packing material and bubble-wrap. I either wrap in the saved materials or place gun in a saved soft gun case and put inside the wooden box and then inside the cardboard. I have never had a single issue with a shipment and have been told my shipping boxes could be dragged behind the UPS truck without damaging the contents. Some extra effort, but well worth avoiding any issues. When I have enough materials, I make up a bunch of boxes ahead of time.

This, in spades! A wood 1x4 is just the right size for the sides of a gun box, add hard board on the top and bottom and screw it together, then I build a heavy cardboard box around that and use hot glue and heavy commercial staples to seal it up. Most people don't have the type of staple gun I use so you need to use strapping tape instead. It makes for a heavy poatage charge but it's worth it and I think could survive most of what the shipping monkeys could throw at it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
You also might want to break the gun down when shipping, it’s easier to find a box that will fit it. Just wrap all the parts well.

I do this for all my bolt action rifle shipments. Hacksaw off the barrel and lay it next to the stock in a paper sack and close it all with a little bit of scotch tape. wink wink

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sako706
Walmart has a wonderful hard case for $10 that is squared off and easy to fold heavy cardboard around for extra protection. Put packing material around the gun inside the hard case so it doesn't move around when you jerk on the closed case. I learned the hard way that a gun will go right through the end of those cases when some gorilla throws it into a truck.

I see one for about $15 online but not sure if it’s the same one. Do you have a link to the $10 one? Appreciate it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Last rifle I shipped, slid the barrel into a length of foam pool noodle, wrapped the whole rifle in bubble wrap, into the cheap hard case, which I secured with lots of plastic zip ties, then into a cardboard box closed up with heavy-duty packing tape. Must have been a real project for the FFL holder to open!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
[quote=donsm70]To my knowledge, it is not legal for an individual to ship a rifle through the USPS. It has to go through a FFL, with paperwork to another FFL, to be legal through the mail.

Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate it.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

donsm70

Don your the first guy on the fire to say thanks not
Your all Fen stupid all the rest of you dont know what you are talking about 😊

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by boatboy

donsm70

Don your the first guy on the fire to say thanks not
Your all Fen stupid all the rest of you dont know what you are talking about 😊

Hank

I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. At the ripe old age of 70, there is still a lot to learn
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

donsm70

Looking back my response appears to be a bit terse. Thank you for the courteous response.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just shipped one Friday went down to local gun store got a factory box and over box. Keep the package as small as possible to reduce shipping costs. $57 USPS with $1200 insurance AK to WA . You cant aford to use UPS here in Alaska.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Whatchaketchemon
Go buy a cheapo hard case and ship it in that. Wrap the case in shipping paper.

I use wire ties, to make sure someone can't just open the snaps. Use plenty, don't clip them till you get to the post office. Sometimes they want them clipped, sometimes they don't. Let them decide what they want.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by Whatchaketchemon
Go buy a cheapo hard case and ship it in that. Wrap the case in shipping paper.

I use wire ties, to make sure someone can't just open the snaps. Use plenty, don't clip them till you get to the post office. Sometimes they want them clipped, sometimes they don't. Let them decide what they want.

Why does the post office know what’s in the box?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Just shipped one Friday went down to local gun store got a factory box and over box. Keep the package as small as possible to reduce shipping costs. $57 USPS with $1200 insurance AK to WA . You cant aford to use UPS here in Alaska.

One to the midwest recently was almost identical in cost.
After a recent goat rope with usps and a damage claim, I’m really starting to question whether the insurance is worth it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I either pack in a cheap hardcase and then a box or 2 heavy cardboard boxes.

The key I think to my run of no problems shipping is to use "floral" boxes. Roses and flowers are shipped internationally in cardboard boxes.....hint they are heavy duty! Cut them to length to fit a hard case but pack the hard case in the box so it can NOT shift around. One time I shipped a FAL in which the UPPER is considered the firearm to the FFL and shipped the lower/mags/accessories in a separate box to the buyer. He sent me a email saying it had fooled his wife. smile I always check the rates, but usually USPS is cheaper.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shipped several using two USPS triangular boxes. One box with the barreled action goes to the FFl and the other with the stock goes directly to the buyer.

And neither looks like it might be a firearm.

Bruce

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,227
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.