Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve seen enough on this thread and the RUSTING” thread to never buy one.

Well check this one out. I bought it in ** 2003 **

Pic taken in 2016
I don't take any different care of Tikka than Blued rifles.

That's because yours has the special stainless steel grin

yep ! hee hee

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yeah, it's funny how they tend to rust when put up wet.......imagine that.

LOL you and I must be really lucky to not have rusting Tikkas.
My blued Tikka doesn't have any rust on it and it's 20 years old. They don't rust if you take reasonable care of the fuggin things.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I forgot one:

Load Development.

If you really like to tweak ammo, this rifle’s not for you.

That 6CM’s gotta be on the horizon, this just might do it.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think it's been pretty well covered on the Fire, in terms of negatives, but not a bad idea to have a summary thread for those doing their research.

My thoughts are below. I realize some of it has been already covered above.

1) Corrosion issues for some with stainless, but it's not exclusive to Tikka. My stainless Kimber was just as bad.

2) The protruding magazine for some. Personally, a flush mag would be better but would probably require a double stack. I think the production singlestack functions great.

3) Although Formi has more experience with this, I still feel that the bolt stop pin is not ideal. The fact that there are failures indicates that it is not robust in design. I don't mean a big fat pin, but robust in terms of manufacturing variations, user applications, etc. Not many failures reported though, and most hunters would most likely never seen an issue.

4) Gas handling is the biggest problem with the Tikka in my view. I don't see any design features that prevent hot gas from reaching the shooter's face or eyes in the event of case failure.

Other than that, I think the Tikka has the best plastic stock and trigger in the budget rifle class. They feed really well, and I've never had a problem with extraction or ejection. Solid scope mounting as well.

J

One more...

5) COAL for L/A

J

I've had Tikkas in one form or another for over 20 years. Until very recently I've never heard of problems 2,3,4, or 5, and 1 is a real stretch since it's not just a Tikka issue. Many of my friends have owned and used them since that time and I've still never heard of such.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The people who practice with them and become adept with give the smucks who just go down to Sportsman's and buy one, have it bore sighted and then go hunting an excuse to wound animals. For everyone on here who shoots a bunch that is no problem but they shoot good enough that many noobs think you don't have to practice. Just buy a magic Tikka. They are a lighter rifle and kick and it takes somebody who knows what they are doing not to fall into the trap of buying shooting proficiency.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Haters gonna hate. Think Glock, circa 1989.....

Why 1989?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tikka barrels can be very difficult to unscrew. Also, you have to spend $10 on a spring to make the trigger really nice.

Those are the only things I can think of.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock mags are known as some of the most reliable magazines out there.

They happen to be made of the same material as their trigger guards.

Maybe Tikka should make their mags and trigger guards out of the same material. Oh, Wait..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Interesting thread - thanks everyone for the replies. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy something besides a Tikka, but it seems like almost every other rifle has more issues. The Bergara Ridge rifle I've been considering is tempting, since I've been wanting a magnum rifle with a heavier contour barrel. That's something Tikka doesn't offer. But to get that, I'd be sacrificing the option for stainless steel. A search for Bergara problems on google turns up a lot of results. I'm also thinking that I'd have to spend $150 on a Triggertech trigger for the Bergara to get a trigger to compete with Tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Haters gonna hate. Think Glock, circa 1989.....

Why 1989?

Just because that’s as far back as I can remember them. 😜

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SDblackhills
Interesting thread - thanks everyone for the replies. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy something besides a Tikka, but it seems like almost every other rifle has more issues. The Bergara Ridge rifle I've been considering is tempting, since I've been wanting a magnum rifle with a heavier contour barrel. That's something Tikka doesn't offer. But to get that, I'd be sacrificing the option for stainless steel. A search for Bergara problems on google turns up a lot of results. I'm also thinking that I'd have to spend $150 on a Triggertech trigger for the Bergara to get a trigger to compete with Tikka.

have you tried a bergara trigger. they really aren't that aweful.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yeah, it's funny how they tend to rust when put up wet.......imagine that.

Yeah I’m guilty of it. The rifle wasn’t soaking wet. Just didn’t wipe it down dry when put in opened (not zipped up) soft case over night

Last edited by Dre; 12/15/19.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh, I forgot one:

Load Development.

If you really like to tweak ammo, this rifle’s not for you.

That 6CM’s gotta be on the horizon, this just might do it.

[Linked Image]

This thread makes your point:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-stainless-load-development#Post10019996

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I don’t like about them is the way the stock fits me. If not for that I would own several.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are just hard to not like. Plastic bottom metal seemed like a bad idea but I know of no one having issues. I dont like the looks of the stock but damned if they dont fit like a glove. The factory rings did suck glad they did away with them. Mag length seemed like a big deal for a while but who needs to chase the lands when they shoot lights out with wherever the bullet is seated. There are nicer guns out there but they are heavier or need a different trigger the Tikka just checks all the boxes even if it is unattractive. The only way to beat it is to build a custom and then you might be disappointed as well.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 79inpa
Originally Posted by SDblackhills

have you tried a bergara trigger. they really aren't that aweful.

My Ridge pulled a very clean and consistent 2 lbs 12 oz out of the box. I had already ordered the TriggerTech before I had the rifle in my hands so went ahead and replaced it. I do wish my Ridge was stainless though. I would definitely pay more for that.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have bought 8 Tikkas. 4 are mine, 2 each for my two sons.
Someone said no lefties? One of my sons shoots southpaw, I ordered his lefties from Cabelas no problem.
I have always preferred a drop out magazine.i have shot control in the western states now for 35 plus years and keep extra loaded mags in my pocket. Super handy when keeping an empty gun in the vehicle, jump out slap
One in and go.
My favorite is my Tikka T3 .243. The twist is excellent for the 55gr ballistic tip federals I use for coyotes.
Are there better rifles out there, yes. Are there rifles with fewer issues, not many. I simply feel Tikkas are as good as it gets for their price range.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I own 4 Tikkas....

T3 6.5x55
T3 260 (have not shot this one yet)
T3X 270
T3X 6.5 Creedmoor

These are the things I don't like about Tikkas:

1. Plastic bolt stop
2. Plastic trigger guard
3. Poor factory scope rings

The twists for my rifles is perfectly fine. ALL of them so far shoot very well

Better check your Tikkas. The bolt stops aren’t plastic.

P

Bolt shrouds on the T3 series.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Tikka safety is one of the best reasons to own, IMO.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 79inpa
I just purchased a use t3 stainless in 7mm 08 from gunbroker.com. It developed a problem with light strikes so I sent it back to tikka to have them look at it. They cleaned it and sent it back to me saying that the problem was that the prior owner didn't take care of it. I then took it elk hunting when I fell on the scope on my other rifle. Last day at 40 yards I squeezed the trigger on an elk at 40 yards and was rewarded nothing but a muffled click from the rifle.

I just got around to trying different primers in my handloads and found out that half of all brands of primers don't ignite all the time in this particular rifle. A local gunsmith took one look at the rifle and told me that I have a weak firing pin spring in the rifle. Whether he is right or not I can't tell because I don't have the rifle back yet, however it would appear that in this case this particular rifle does seem to have some light strike problems.

Make sure your bolt is cleaned of all lube in the firing pin spring and hole. Flush with brake cleaner

Clos

NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.