Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
One thing to remember is that the 44 mag is a whole different animal in a carbine than it is in a revolver in which it is most familiar to most hunters. For example, average, white box Win 240-gr loads that leave my Smith 329 4” at 1200 fps exit my Marlin 94 at 1750 fps, a whole 500+ fps increase.

44 Mag Buffalo Bore Deer Grenades do even better at 1950 fps. They are loaded hotter, as they say, ~ 1500 fps from a revolver. And that’s not to mention other BB or Grizzly ammo loads, not to mention hand-loads if your carbine shoots them well. And we make a great distinction between a180 30-06 and that from a 300 Win Mag, a difference of maybe ~ 200 fps +/-.

So, yeah, for a woods’ deer cartridge, and paying attention to your bullet, the 44 mag out of any carbine, is really a very good choice and not at all a barely sufficient one assuming correct placement per usual. Compare for instance to the new Win 350 Legend load which gives a 150/180-gr bullet 2300/2100 +/- fps. And it was created primarily for deer/hogs. It’s basically just 357 Mag “Long”. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Thanks for the real world numbers, I've been meaning to shoot mine over a chrono but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was assuming a 400-500 fps increase.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love my Browning B92 .44 Mag. A .44 Mag carbine will take down any animal in NA, just not at the ranges some others will.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally got to try out my Ruger 77/44 yesterday. Shot this buck at 30 yards with a federal 240 grain JHP. He was slightly quartered away and I put the shot just behind the shoulder taking out the top of the heart and breaking the off side shoulder. The deer reared up on his hind legs and jumped straight up before taking off. He went about 25 yards before he started plowing snow, about 35 yards total. As far as I can tell the bullet didn't exit but I haven't skinned him out yet, hoping to find the the slug when I do.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Winchester white box 240gr. JSP will ruin any deer’s day out of a rifle, 100 yards and under. They usually pass through on a lung shot and expand very well.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was grown and married before I got to hunt anything other than squirrel or rabbit. After borrowing this and that, my husband decided I needed a rifle that fit me, and that I would be happy with. Down to the pawnshop. I looked at this and that, and then pronounced, I like that one, there, with the gold trigger and the golden deer engraved on the trigger guard. Yes, a monster was born. I still have that Browning 92 44 mag from 37 years ago, and it still kills everything DRT within the ranges of the Arkansas piney woods. I have other rifles now, both from husband, and from an inheritance, and my own purchases, and one that was one from a lottery. The little 44 is still a joy to carry and shoot.

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had a Marlin .44 mag.
It shot the Hornady factory stuff under 2" at 100 w a low power scope.
No deer to shoot that yr.

Did kill one w Norma factory ammo in a Ruger fingergroove.
D was 65 yards. DRT

Trigger sucks, front bead is big (peep sighted). It's a 75 yard and in rig.
Cool little rifle.

My dad won't let me drop a Leupold 1-4X on it frown

Have killed a few w .44 mag wheelguns, farthest 150 yards.
Went a ways. Like a big fat pencil poked a hole through him.

Won't do that again.
Maybe w rifle, 150.
Handguns is 100 and in for me.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We have a 44 mag H&R Handi Rifle. It is really my wife's gun, but I start all my kids out with it. We like it because it is simple for a new shooter to use, its ambidextrous (Wife and #1 son are left eye dominant), and the recoil and noise are tolerable.

Wife's buck, Hornady 225g FTX, H110. 30 yards quartering to. Found the bullet under the hide after penetrating diagonally. The deer dropped at the shot.

[Linked Image]

Wife's buck, 240g (I think) factory load. I don't remember the brand, but it was solid copper and the recovered bullet looked like an advertisement. Quartering to at 30 yards. I found the bullet in a hind quarter, I think. The deer wiggled in place for a few seconds, then fell.

[Linked Image]

#1 Son's first deer, a button buck. Walking right at him at 10 yards. The deer fell at the shot. Hornady 225 FTX and H110. I think recovered this bullet, too. Pictured with all of my kids.

[Linked Image]

#2 son's first deer, a very small doe. Same Hornady 225 FTX and H110 load, same blind, same presentation as his big brother the year prior. 5 yard shot on a trotting deer into the center of the chest. We recovered the bullet under the skin between her hind legs. The deer ran 20 yards.

[Linked Image]

We all love shooting this Handi Rifle. Recoil is not bad with hot loads, and very light with light cast lead practice loads. The Best part, to me, is the lack of noise, which I think helps new shooters even more than the low recoil. Two of us shoot lefty, so I switch the hammer spur as needed.

Jason
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bja105
We have a 44 mag H&R Handi Rifle. It is really my wife's gun, but I start all my kids out with it. We like it because it is simple for a new shooter to use, its ambidextrous (Wife and #1 son are left eye dominant), and the recoil and noise are tolerable.

Wife's buck, Hornady 225g FTX, H110. 30 yards quartering to. Found the bullet under the hide after penetrating diagonally. The deer dropped at the shot.

[Linked Image]

Wife's buck, 240g (I think) factory load. I don't remember the brand, but it was solid copper and the recovered bullet looked like an advertisement. Quartering to at 30 yards. I found the bullet in a hind quarter, I think. The deer wiggled in place for a few seconds, then fell.

[Linked Image]

#1 Son's first deer, a button buck. Walking right at him at 10 yards. The deer fell at the shot. Hornady 225 FTX and H110. I think recovered this bullet, too. Pictured with all of my kids.

[Linked Image]

#2 son's first deer, a very small doe. Same Hornady 225 FTX and H110 load, same blind, same presentation as his big brother the year prior. 5 yard shot on a trotting deer into the center of the chest. We recovered the bullet under the skin between her hind legs. The deer ran 20 yards.

[Linked Image]

We all love shooting this Handi Rifle. Recoil is not bad with hot loads, and very light with light cast lead practice loads. The Best part, to me, is the lack of noise, which I think helps new shooters even more than the low recoil. Two of us shoot lefty, so I switch the hammer spur as needed.

Nice!

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can kill elephants with a 44 Mag in a handgun, but in a rifle it's only good for woodchucks...

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice Bucks SnowboardGuy and BJA smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the above deer. Exit broke the off side leg, took off the top of the heart on the way through.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.